What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 19, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #451 of 14,566
  I wonder how many people worried about galvanic isolation could define what it is off the tops of their heads or even knew about it before they read some marketing material on the Internet? (This is not a slam against any of the above posts, just a comment...)

I used to hear hum and clicks via USB feed.  It was the most annoying thing since I couldn't get a quiet background; took a long time of trial-and-error to identify the problem.  Now, with usb-over-fiop, it worked but Mike/Baldr suggested that it may not be the best solution yet.          

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #453 of 14,566
I went ahead and ordered a Raspberry Pi 2 and a Hifiberry Digi+ board with SPDIF outs. They should be here next week, and I'll let you all know how it goes.

I found several users on the Hifiberry forums reporting to have removed either Optical or RCA connectors and soldered a BNC connector instead (Hifiberry is unsure whether there is sufficient demand for BNC out to release such a model):
https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201844941-Digi-with-BNC-output
https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201496272-Removed-Toslink-added-BNC

There seem to be a few gotchas, but for such a cheap item it's worth a try... There is even a video of how the end-result looks:

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #455 of 14,566
  From the prospective of SQ, is it a reasonable alternative to just chuck the computer and USB by using a DAP as the music server with it's spdif output?

I do this with an iBasso DX80 at work. Initially tried the coax but even with everything (DX80, Bimby DAC, and Lyr 2) plugged into battery backups I sometimes got cutouts and Bimby clicks when my mini-fridge compressor switched on. Switched to optical as a test and rarely ever have a dropout since. Not all outputs are equal in all situations, but the sound was great either way.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #456 of 14,566
There are multiple double blind tests (done at audio meets by a DAC designer) demonstrating sound quality improvements from using higher powered PCs (actually Macs) as compared to lower powered ones (meaning faster processor, etc. not power supply rating).

The tests do not indicate the actual source of the improvement, merely that a higher percentage of resource utilization decreases the sound quality.

So, at first glance, that would indicate a Raspberry Pi would be the wrong direction for high end audio.

But, it's possible that the design of the Pi board happens to remove the cause of the original problem, whatever it is.

So, it would be interesting if someone could compare the sound quality of their Pi to a more powerful conventional PC.

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #457 of 14,566
IMO the Pi might make a great player, but I would never use one as my music server.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #458 of 14,566
I went ahead and ordered a Raspberry Pi 2 and a Hifiberry Digi+ board with SPDIF outs. They should be here next week, and I'll let you all know how it goes.

For those who were interested, I got my Pi 2, Digi+ (transformer version), case, and coax cable today. After some trial and error, I got it set up with Rune Audio. My system is now as follows:

USB Western Digital Passport hard drive connected to powered USB 2.0 hub->Raspberry Pi 2 with i2s Hifiberry Digi+ board->Schiit Bifrost Multibit via coax->Vali 2 with Siemens E288C NOS tube via PYST RCA cables->Dyanamat modded HD600 headphones with SurfCables balanced cables and balanced to single ended adapter.

Prior to this, my chain was the same except I was using a mid-2013 Macbook Air to feed the Bimby via USB, without a Wyrd or Regen.

Using this new setup, which cost a little over $100 for the Pi, board, case, and coax cable, I can tell that the background is much quieter. Pretty darn black all told. This allows me to hear little details that the Macbook obscured, like the needle touching the groove on vinyl rips I have. This setup also has more dimensionality and better instrument separation. It's very easy for me to identify each element within a track now. The Bimby is already very good at this, and the SPDIF connection has made that aspect even more pronounced. The low end also feels tighter, so while it had heft before, now it also has more definition. 

While I can't speak to the Mac Mini setup that Mike discussed earlier in the thread, since I haven't heard it, this Pi2 combo is hard to beat for a little over $100 US. If anyone is even curious, I suggest giving it a try. It's an inexpensive and relatively easy way to get away from USB, and avoid all the decrapifiers, reclockers, and expensive USB->SPDIF converters.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #459 of 14,566
  USB Western Digital Passport hard drive connected to powered USB 2.0 hub->Raspberry Pi 2 with i2s Hifiberry Digi+ board->Schiit Bifrost Multibit via coax->Vali 2 with Siemens E288C NOS tube via PYST RCA cables->Dyanamat modded HD600 headphones with SurfCables balanced cables and balanced to single ended adapter.

Nice.  In my setup I have found that playing via Ethernet (from NAS) vs playing a local file was slightly better.  If you have some time to kill and nothing better to do I was wondering if you could try that?

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #460 of 14,566
  Nice.  In my setup I have found that playing via Ethernet (from NAS) vs playing a local file was slightly better.  If you have some time to kill and nothing better to do I was wondering if you could try that?

You had the Pi plugged into the NAS via ethernet, or you had your Pi plugged into your router via ethernet and wirelessly streamed music from your NAS?

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #461 of 14,566

You had the Pi plugged into the NAS via ethernet, or you had your Pi plugged into your router via ethernet and wirelessly streamed music from your NAS?

Not a Pi but...

Copied some FLAC to the MPD music directory and played from local disk
vs
upnp via MinimServer from a RAID array.

The local disk was slightly noisier and gave the music a buzzy quality.  I am wondering if the Pi is immune to that effect.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #463 of 14,566

Is there a chance we'll be treated in the near future with a Wyrd-like device that can output more than just USB, e.g. also feature a properly manufactured with galvanic isolation S/PDIF Coax and BNC, at non-outrageous prices? (I mean, splashing close to 1K for such a device feels silly.) This would perfectly complement an Yggy/Rag combo given available inputs...

yes that sounds like a good idea

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #465 of 14,566

Is there a chance we'll be treated in the near future with a Wyrd-like device that can output more than just USB, e.g. also feature a properly manufactured with galvanic isolation S/PDIF Coax and BNC, at non-outrageous prices? (I mean, splashing close to 1K for such a device feels silly.) This would perfectly complement an Yggy/Rag combo given available inputs...

yes that sounds like a good idea

Put me down for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back