What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #3,796 of 14,565
I used to arrange semi-alphabetically and by genre. But I was not super anal about it and probably had more errors that I remember. I love the complete and total access I have now with my music server and I will never go back. :)

Music Servers, I've been wondering about those. I've been thinking on the NAD M50.2, could be something new to burn my money and time on. I have no real interest in D/L content but might be nice to put 1,000 or so of my favorite CD's in a convenient small package like that if the sound is no worse than what I've already experiencing.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,797 of 14,565
Jul 10, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #3,798 of 14,565
Spent much of the day at Schiit today with my 2nd copy of a home brew turntable (the first still living at home). [...]
Unusual as it is, in its design, it may be nearly ready for market, that is if I do it. Without giving up the whole enchilada, it is an inverted bearing, aluminum platter, exoskeleton aluminum plinth with carbon fiber arm which IMHO sounds RFG in the context of the TTs I own (and I have a lot of them). The arm is versatile and will work with all carts I have tried (Deccas to MMs to MCs) and will NOT be priced at the level of typical botique TTs (read Bifrost to Gungnirish as a goal).
[...]

Hey, Mike,
nice to hear of this new audio-adventure of yours! I hope it can come to production! May I ask you what kind of drive have you designed your TT to be? Is it belt-driven, direct drive or even an idler drive design?
Also, what happened to your rumoured tube phono-preamp?
Thanks, as always, for your replies!

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,800 of 14,565
I made a rule of collecting albums that I think are really special, rather than everything under the sun.that keeps the vinyl side of my hobby in check.
For Lp's I follow this rule as well especially since many new pressings are crap. I agree with Albeza, Complete and total access of a digital collection is undeniably a major selling point to digital especially when (although Impressive) you don't have to sacrifice 3 entire walls for your music collection. No Need to pick sides, Hell on the Digital Side Mike's mission is to make digital as close to if not better than analog, but then with little fan fare builds the Mani which apparently sells really well and gets praise in its own right and now a prototype turntable? Its Like he is Competing with himself or he has an Alter Ego.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #3,801 of 14,565
Believe it or not, I have been working on the TT for almost three years. Since I am a TT designer virgin, prudence dictates caution. One of the sicker aspects of the analog pathology is a need for multiple cartridges to change whether you need to or not. A further feature of this table is that one may purchase additional arms to mount, balance, and set skating on multiple cartridges, unplug and simply lift off one arm and replace it with another arm with the cartridge perfectly balanced in the new arm. As far as digital vs. analog, I have done enough digit processing stuff for awhile (Multibit down to multimodis, and a few as of yet unreleased things) so I work on this and MP for a while. There is a pic posted elsewhere of the TT and I will get a more detailed one up here soon. If the TT forces improvements on the digital and versa visa, then no harm, no foul.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 12, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #3,802 of 14,565
It will be up and running at the Schittr later this week for user input. Anyone pointing and laughing will tied up and forced to listen to continuous pop music on a cheap Delta Sigma DAC.

Only for people who don't know what exoskeleton and pod turntables look like. Doesn't look too bad from what I can tell.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #3,803 of 14,565
I see you still work on the MP? And you seem to have seperated it from a few things yet to be announced.
So it`s Vidar and Eitr that will be announced soon?

No fouls anywhere anyway :)

Edit:
Still really enjoying my Gungnir btw. Planning on getting a nice spdif out for my Pi next just to see if its even better than the USB-connection. But Iam quite happy as is. The Eitr may or may not change my plans as I still have no idea what it will do and wether I need what it does.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #3,804 of 14,565
Planning on getting a nice spdif out for my Pi next just to see if its even better than the USB-connection. But Iam quite happy as is. The Eitr may or may not change my plans as I still have no idea what it will do and wether I need what it does.

Based on my experience, if you're using a wired LAN connection, you'll probably get a nice sound improvement getting rid of your RasPi USB connection, because the USB bus and the ethernet bus on the Pi are shared. Also, IIRC the Pi itself has a single clock (roughly) suitable for native 48 KHz multiples, so you're definitely gonna benefit from a digital-out HAT.
Well, that or... Let's wait for the upcoming Eitr and see what it's all about! :wink: :relaxed:

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #3,805 of 14,565
Believe it or not, I have been working on the TT for almost three years. Since I am a TT designer virgin, prudence dictates caution. One of the sicker aspects of the analog pathology is a need for multiple cartridges to change whether you need to or not. A further feature of this table is that one may purchase additional arms to mount, balance, and set skating on multiple cartridges, unplug and simply lift off one arm and replace it with another arm with the cartridge perfectly balanced in the new arm. As far as digital vs. analog, I have done enough digit processing stuff for awhile (Multibit down to multimodis, and a few as of yet unreleased things) so I work on this and MP for a while. There is a pic posted elsewhere of the TT and I will get a more detailed one up here soon. If the TT forces improvements on the digital and versa visa, then no harm, no foul.

With no fowl, won't that reduce the Schiit output?

d25fbdf7be58f4840be8b2840b5e3135--a-letter-spoons.jpg

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #3,806 of 14,565
Based on my experience, if you're using a wired LAN connection, you'll probably get a nice sound improvement getting rid of your RasPi USB connection, because the USB bus and the ethernet bus on the Pi are shared. Also, IIRC the Pi itself has a single clock (roughly) suitable for native 48 KHz multiples, so you're definitely gonna benefit from a digital-out HAT.
Well, that or... Let's wait for the upcoming Eitr and see what it's all about! :wink: :relaxed:
Yeah hopes are high!
But if the Eitr turns out to be something very different ( not an i2stowhateverconverter for example) I have options.
Either the pi2media 502 (who are also preparing a DACless version with AES output I`ve gathered) or the Allo Digione will come in to play.
First reviews of the digione are really positive and it has extremely low-jitter spdif output. The pi2media boards offer the option for a LPS and feeding the pi via th GPIOpins which in itself is an improvement.
Both should be good so I`m still on the fence.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #3,808 of 14,565
Wow Mike,
That's a nice TT at the Schiitr indeed.
Looks way over budget to me!
:)
But they may amaze me. Dutch as I am I find it hard to pass on a bargain.
My brother has all my vinyl but he doesnt even own a tt anymore...so it might be time to reclaim.
Although I fear the state they are in. It`s (almost) all oldskool (eighties and nineties) acid and techno and being partymusic it has been abused by partypeople for decades.
It was a ton of fun. Maybe I should just leave it in the past.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #3,810 of 14,565

Users who are viewing this thread

Back