What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #3,781 of 14,565
Spent much of the day at Schiit today with my 2nd copy of a home brew turntable (the first still living at home). It has an oddball motor setup which Jason helped with packaging (the one at home has an ugly gimpy U-shaped motor enclosure with the bottom bent into a four side hollowed out cube). Jason figured out a can for the motor. It removes a lot of the fugliness but is still not quite ready for prime time cosmetically. Getting there, though.

Unusual as it is, in its design, it may be nearly ready for market, that is if I do it. Without giving up the whole enchilada, it is an inverted bearing, aluminum platter, exoskeleton aluminum plinth with carbon fiber arm which IMHO sounds RFG in the context of the TTs I own (and I have a lot of them). The arm is versatile and will work with all carts I have tried (Deccas to MMs to MCs) and will NOT be priced at the level of typical botique TTs (read Bifrost to Gungnirish as a goal).

It will be up and running at the Schittr later this week for user input. Anyone pointing and laughing will tied up and forced to listen to continuous pop music on a cheap Delta Sigma DAC.

A possible Schiit Turdtable! This is great news. Ever since you said you were tinkering with a home brew. Hopefully we can get a glimpse during the broadcast.

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #3,782 of 14,565
I also liquidated a large collection many years ago. Over 12000 LPs at one time (I worked in radio for a few years and there were many promos...) I have absolutely no interest in going back to vinyl. But those who do should have a great time.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,783 of 14,565
I also liquidated a large collection many years ago. Over 12000 LPs at one time (I worked in radio for a few years and there were many promos...) I have absolutely no interest in going back to vinyl. But those who do should have a great time.

12,000! My mind reels, LOL

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #3,784 of 14,565
wall1.jpg
12,000! My mind reels, LOL

I knew I had an old picture somewhere. This was one of three walls. And one of my old Thiel speakers!

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #3,785 of 14,565

I knew I had an old picture somewhere. This was one of three walls. And one of my old Thiel speakers!

Tubular! I'm glad your bell still rings!:beerchug:

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #3,786 of 14,565

Would love to have a space like that!

That's when organizing your music truly mattered (same I guess for those locked in to CDs)...these days the search field is your friend.

Did you arrange alphabetically or genre, mix o' both? I'm always interested to know how people arrange their music and/or books.

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #3,787 of 14,565

I've seen you post this before in the Schiit happens thread I think, just as blown away now as I was then!

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #3,789 of 14,565
Would love to have a space like that!

That's when organizing your music truly mattered (same I guess for those locked in to CDs)...these days the search field is your friend.

Did you arrange alphabetically or genre, mix o' both? I'm always interested to know how people arrange their music and/or books.
I used to arrange semi-alphabetically and by genre. But I was not super anal about it and probably had more errors that I remember. I love the complete and total access I have now with my music server and I will never go back. :)

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #3,790 of 14,565
I used to arrange semi-alphabetically and by genre. But I was not super anal about it and probably had more errors that I remember. I love the complete and total access I have now with my music server and I will never go back. :)

What music server do you use now? In my office at my desk I use Foobar2K with the DarkOne v4.0 skin (which has a fantastic UI), and in the living room I access the same files over my network via Kodi on a raspberry Pi.

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,791 of 14,565
What music server do you use now? In my office at my desk I use Foobar2K with the DarkOne v4.0 skin (which has a fantastic UI), and in the living room I access the same files over my network via Kodi on a raspberry Pi.
Roon Server running on Vortexbox OS.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #3,792 of 14,565
Roon Server running on Vortexbox OS.

Interesting. I guess you need a pretty large music collection for Roon to make sense. I only have around 15,000 songs and it has been pretty easy to keep organized. If anything its therapeutic to organize the music myself.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #3,793 of 14,565
Interesting. I guess you need a pretty large music collection for Roon to make sense. I only have around 15,000 songs and it has been pretty easy to keep organized. If anything its therapeutic to organize the music myself.
Not to sidetrack this thread too far but I switched from using LMS to Roon because I had issues with LMS and Roon is cleaner, much more reliable, will serve high-res files that LMS does not like, and actually sounds better in my system. YMMV.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #3,794 of 14,565
I made a rule of collecting albums that I think are really special, rather than everything under the sun.that keeps the vinyl side of my hobby in check.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back