What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 10, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3,601 of 14,566
I think you should suggest your mate Dangerous Dave (see 3min30sec: ) to consult the Kali board manual and find out what it takes for it to supply his Pi with ample voltage. Or use a multimeter and measure if the Pi is gettin 5v and 2amps.

And ask him if he would recommend it to make a julebox pi for my gumby.

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,603 of 14,566
welcome to the Netherlands! The Amsterdam opera is quite nice(or so my neighbors tell me). We also have windmills and wooden shoes. But what you really want is Hollandse nieuwe with a pickle and some onions! Trust me, tastes so much better than it looks.

I just had to look up what that means...here ya go. I think they serve it for breakfast in Germany, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soused_herring

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #3,604 of 14,566
These Brilliant Pebbles look like something I could pick up from the beach!

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3,606 of 14,566
Thats it! But the lifting the whole fish is more of a folklore thing. They still do it when the first vat of herring is auctioned. But we, the common people, eat it with a little fork.

Oh, too bad. That seemed like the most fun part. But, I always ate them with a fork, too. Done been domesticated.
ps. Agree with the onions and pickle, they are required.

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,607 of 14,566
Jun 11, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #3,608 of 14,566
You know, I just realized that my 2,000th post on Head-Fi was related to herrings, onions and pickles. Damn the torpedos, full herring ahead.

:beerchug:
All this talk of herring keeps conjuring up for me images of "the tallest tree in the forest"! While I know not of such culinary delights, it sounds better than the long gone bloater paste sandwich.

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #3,609 of 14,566
Anybody here with insights about what makes a BNC cable a good BNC cable. or should I forget about bnc alltogether and opt for optical?
Sofar I gather that BNC would be better into Gungnir.
USB is already really good btw, I just want to try and compare :)
You know...for fun. And the pi offers many relatively cheap fun options to compare.
found out about this one over the weekend : https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html
If it`s true what they claim that should be really good, no? Or should USB through the Wyrd still be better?
Still getting my head around all the different connections and what specs really matter per connection.

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #3,610 of 14,566
Anybody here with insights about what makes a BNC cable a good BNC cable. or should I forget about bnc alltogether and opt for optical?
Sofar I gather that BNC would be better into Gungnir.
USB is already really good btw, I just want to try and compare :)
You know...for fun. And the pi offers many relatively cheap fun options to compare.
found out about this one over the weekend : https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html
If it`s true what they claim that should be really good, no? Or should USB through the Wyrd still be better?
Still getting my head around all the different connections and what specs really matter per connection.

I use Gumby with BNC for quite a while now. Tried optical and USB before, but kept with BNC after comparing the various inputs back and forth.
I find optical to sound more harsh / brittle / too bright on the highs and USB sound stage more all over the place not so focused. My best way of explaining it, sorry.
The input for the BNC comes from a Neutrik trasformer that convert the AES output of my PC RME AIO sound card to BNC, as there is no AES input on the Gumby.
The Neutrik does (extra) galvanic separation on the PC end.

large_4004_Neutrik_NADITBNC-F.JPG

What makes a BNC a good BNC cable? The impedance and of cause the build quality. I use Procab cable.
Make sure you buy a 75 ohm cable and not 50 ohm version. That is also what the converter does, convert the 110 ohm of AES to 75 BNC as you can see on the image.

For Raspberry Pi BNC out I have recently ordered The Pi Design 502DAC - Pro Audio Shield (tip on this forum). It's shipped, but will take another week to arrive at my home.
http://www.pi2design.com/store/p15/502DAC_-_Pro_Audio_Shield.html
http://www.pi2design.com/uploads/4/8/5/3/48531975/visio-502dac_datasheet_p3.pdf

I have no experience with the DigiOne board. But "10 LDOs, 12 LPF, DC/DC convertors, galvanic isolator, WM8805, flip flops, buffers, NDK oscillators" sounds a lot of Hocus Pocus to me.
Plus the 502DAC also has additional AES-EBU out

I want to go to AES all the way, so one day in future there will be a Yggy to feed it directly AES - AES from PC sound card to DAC.
My dream system is: Yggy - Freya - double Vidar - Quad ESL 63 (or 1912 if I win the lottery)
Freya is in place, Vidar;'s will be ordered as soon as they come available in EU.
Yggy is the next item on the wish list to replace the Gumby.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #3,611 of 14,566
I use Gumby with BNC for quite a while now. Tried optical and USB before, but kept with BNC after comparing the various inputs back and forth.
I find optical to sound more harsh / brittle / too bright on the highs and USB sound stage more all over the place not so focused. My best way of explaining it, sorry.
The input for the BNC comes from a Neutrik trasformer that convert the AES output of my PC RME AIO sound card to BNC, as there is no AES input on the Gumby.
The Neutrik does (extra) galvanic separation on the PC end.

large_4004_Neutrik_NADITBNC-F.JPG

What makes a BNC a good BNC cable? The impedance and of cause the build quality. I use Procab cable.
Make sure you buy a 75 ohm cable and not 50 ohm version. That is also what the converter does, convert the 110 ohm of AES to 75 BNC as you can see on the image.

For Raspberry Pi BNC out I have recently ordered The Pi Design 502DAC - Pro Audio Shield (tip on this forum). It's shipped, but will take another week to arrive at my home.
http://www.pi2design.com/store/p15/502DAC_-_Pro_Audio_Shield.html
http://www.pi2design.com/uploads/4/8/5/3/48531975/visio-502dac_datasheet_p3.pdf

I have no experience with the DigiOne board. But "10 LDOs, 12 LPF, DC/DC convertors, galvanic isolator, WM8805, flip flops, buffers, NDK oscillators" sounds a lot of Hocus Pocus to me.
Plus the 502DAC also has additional AES-EBU out

I want to go to AES all the way, so one day in future there will be a Yggy to feed it directly AES - AES from PC sound card to DAC.
My dream system is: Yggy - Freya - double Vidar - Quad ESL 63 (or 1912 if I win the lottery)
Freya is in place, Vidar;'s will be ordered as soon as they come available in EU.
Yggy is the next item on the wish list to replace the Gumby.
I couldn`t find a dealer for the 502. just the one in France. Where did you get it from?

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #3,612 of 14,566
I couldn`t find a dealer for the 502. just the one in France. Where did you get it from?

Directly from Pi2Design webshop. Just follow the link in the previous post.
Used PayPal payment. No shipping costs (it fits in an envelope)
Maybe some import taxes when it comes in. Hope not.

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #3,613 of 14,566
I`m gonna hold off just a little longer. Let me know how it works out for you will you?

Edit: (think it will be either the allo digione or the pi2media 502 but as it stands now the allo looks a lot cheaper and I`ll never use the DAC on the 502 anyway)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,614 of 14,566
That has less to do with America and more to do with economy in storytelling. Less is more. Cut to the chase, etc... forgetting the fact that very little you see in movies and TV happens in reality. People don't talk like that. Everything is theatrical for drama's sake. Also see people waking up looking like they never slept, not washing their hands after peeing, ordering a "beer" without being specific, eating without making a mess, etc, etc....

Not washing their hands after peeing is unfortunately a reality for way too many people

Users who are viewing this thread

Back