What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 16, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #3,272 of 14,566
Don't name your company Schiit if you don't want sphincter metaphors.

So true.
And if i ever decide to start designing audioracks commercially I may call you to ask if I can brand it SFNKTR.
My first design will be the one I am thinking about right now. It must be modular, so you can add Schiit as you go along.
But...and this is a really big butt...it has to be nearly invisible and make the gear look like its levitating just above the other devices.
And it shall be be named the FLOATR.

edit:
but its gonna be a while I guess.
Modular and minimal are expensive friends. Plus the less you see the rack the more cables will show.
But hey...I do have a name for it now :)

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #3,273 of 14,566
So true.
And if i ever decide to start designing audioracks commercially I may call you to ask if I can brand it SFNKTR.
My first design will be the one I am thinking about right now. It must be modular, so you can add Schiit as you go along.
But...and this is a really big butt...it has to be nearly invisible and make the gear look like its levitating just above the other devices.
And it shall be be named the FLOATR.
Make sure it will play all the classics including opera.
Some people would not like it if they cannot puff out in that.

May 16, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #3,275 of 14,566
I have but one survey question, which is what are your 3-5 desert island discs?

Is it too late to answer this...? I don't think any of these have been mentioned yet.

Riverside - Love, Fear And The Time Machine (Prog Rock; everything about this is beautiful - especially Mariusz Duda's singing. very high production values, too)

Ayreon - 01011001 (Prog Rock/Metal; this regularly leaves me with the sort of emotional trauma you get when you finish an absolutely epic book, where you just want to go sit in a corner quietly for a while to process what you read - or heard in this case)

Nik Bärtsch's RONIN - Holon (I think they call it Zen Funk...)

Rhapsody - Power Of The Dragonflame (Symphonic Metal; the song Lamento Eroico is worth damaging your hearing for)

Beyond-O-Matic - Beyond-O-Matic (half-psychedelic something-or-other, I don't even know, but it just sort of sucks you in)

May 16, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #3,278 of 14,566
Is it too late to answer this...? I don't think any of these have been mentioned yet.

Riverside - Love, Fear And The Time Machine (Prog Rock; everything about this is beautiful - especially Mariusz Duda's singing. very high production values, too)

Ayreon - 01011001 (Prog Rock/Metal; this regularly leaves me with the sort of emotional trauma you get when you finish an absolutely epic book, where you just want to go sit in a corner quietly for a while to process what you read - or heard in this case)
Nice to see Ayreon mentioned. I find his albums to be very involving, with my favourite being "The Human Equation". It's moving on an emotional level, as well as musically spectacular.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #3,279 of 14,566
Do you have a similar list for Haydn?
Start with some or all of his London symphonies (93-104) which are all excellent and the most popular (recordings and concerts). Other popular Haydn works include his cello concertos and trumpet concerto.

My favorite recordings of Haydn symphonies are by George Szell/Cleveland Orchestra (92-98 in stereo, 88 and 104 in mono).

May 16, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #3,280 of 14,566

Nik Bärtsch's RONIN - Holon (I think they call it Zen Funk...)

Rhapsody - Power Of The Dragonflame (Symphonic Metal; the song Lamento Eroico is worth damaging your hearing for)

Beyond-O-Matic - Beyond-O-Matic (half-psychedelic something-or-other, I don't even know, but it just sort of sucks you in)

I hope you're on my island. I don't know why I forgot to add Rhapsody to my list, they were one of the first power metal bands I ever listened to. Dawn of Victory is one of my favorites. Now I need to go drop everything and listen to it. :)

May 17, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #3,282 of 14,566
I wonder if Mike or anyone else has plans to visit Hamburg soon?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/augmented-reality/what-perfect-sound-looks-like/

Elbphilharmoniehall.jpg

Daysideelnphilharmonie.jpg

May 17, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #3,283 of 14,566
Hmm, for some of us that are mostly into classical, "old scores" are all we have.

However, I think there may be several islands and Mike assigns us to islands according to musical tastes. And if he doesn't like your posts and you are mostly into classical, he assigns you to an island with mostly heavy metal.

As for me he might send me to an island where the only operas they played were Wagner's and the only symphonies were by Bruckner and the longs ones by Mahler. (I must have a short attention span.) So this could easily be inferno/No Exit even with heavenly Schiit equipment

And for Bosiemoncrieff relative to new equipment, I think it's worth listening to Gumby>MJ2 balanced to headphones, e.g. Sennheiser 600/650. It isn't night/day difference compared to SE, but to my ears it is cloudy day compared to sunny day.

NF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back