What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 22, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #1,771 of 14,566

So, here they are:

1) Is this (megacomboburrito) filter exactly the same once found in the Theta Digital D/A converters?  Or is the Schiit one a more refined, better optimized version (or evolution) of that one?
2a) If the Schiit filter is a more refined version of the Theta filter (I understand that the two would be conceptually more similar than different, in any case), is this because you managed to refine it recently or you already had it available and 'perfected' at the time, but you couldn't implement it due to (for example) hardware constraints back then?
2b) [closely related] In this latter case (i.e. if Theta digital filter was the same as Schiit's current one), should you have had a more powerful DSP processor than that Motorola one at that time, do you feel the digital filter section of the Theta DACs designed by you would be the same as the Schiit multibit DACs?

1.  The Schiit filter is a revised and updated version of the original Theta filter.
2.  There were hardware constraints which limited the original Theta filter as well as some new parameter changes developed since the Theta.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 22, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #1,772 of 14,566
The question of what I/O it will take is crucial. Will it go before or after Wyrd? Indeed, will it support USB in at all? (If there's to be a budget version, as Mike suggests, it will have to. If it's a way to get AES/EBU out for Yggy I'm all in.) Will it support USB Gen 3? Will it finally begin moving Schiit to USB-C connectors? Will it support Thunderbolt 3, which also now operates via those same USB-C-shaped connectors, and may offer sonic advantages over USB?

Finally, why not just build it into the DAC? Yggy is basically a computer as it is. Could it be offered as an upgrade? Could it ever be able to be miniaturized into Jotunheim?

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #1,773 of 14,566
  The question of what I/O it will take is crucial. Will it go before or after Wyrd? Indeed, will it support USB in at all? (If there's to be a budget version, as Mike suggests, it will have to. If it's a way to get AES/EBU out for Yggy I'm all in.) Will it support USB Gen 3? Will it finally begin moving Schiit to USB-C connectors? Will it support Thunderbolt 3, which also now operates via those same USB-C-shaped connectors, and may offer sonic advantages over USB?

Finally, why not just build it into the DAC? Yggy is basically a computer as it is. Could it be offered as an upgrade? Could it ever be able to be miniaturized into Jotunheim?

Since the project prototype exists only in software right now, it's probably premature.  I expected something with the usual inputs on higher end Schiit, with maybe a S/PDIF coaxial output.  But who knows.  Besides Mike.

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #1,774 of 14,566

Thanks, that's a great hint!
How will be Manhattan connected to the digital source and the DAC (assuming it will go in between, of course)?

I assume it will be digital-in, digital-out.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #1,778 of 14,566
Manhattan update:

So here comes the tease: OMG wait until you hear this. There is no way to describe it other than the perception shifts in a uniquely seductive way. The next step is to get this buffered and running in a DSP processor so we can make it portable and expose it to others just to make sure the four of us here aren't crazy.

Hi Mike,

A couple of quick questions.

1. 1. Does your plan for exposure include demoing the Manhattan in Manhattan (http://www.head-fi.org/t/820039/canjam-nyc-2017-february-4-5-2017)
    2. Has the CDC been advised of your plan to expose the population of NYC?
    3. Are there recommended inoculations prior to possible exposure?

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #1,779 of 14,566

The newly released freya has multiple modes-passive, JFET, tube. I am in the habit of just leaving my electronics on most of the time. But obviously, this is going to shorten the life of the tubes. Is it better to switch off the freya then after I use it? Does simply switching it to passive mode prolong tube life? I've noticed that temp is stabilized after half an hour so I guess that is sufficient warmup for a tube amp. yes? 

Recommendations?

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,780 of 14,566

The newly released freya has multiple modes-passive, JFET, tube. I am in the habit of just leaving my electronics on most of the time. But obviously, this is going to shorten the life of the tubes. Is it better to switch off the freya then after I use it? Does simply switching it to passive mode prolong tube life? I've noticed that temp is stabilized after half an hour so I guess that is sufficient warmup for a tube amp. yes? 

Recommendations?

Pull the tubes if you plan to leave it on for long periods of time in passive mode.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #1,781 of 14,566
Just leave it on.  I have a tube preamp that has not been turned off in ten years.  Still fine.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #1,782 of 14,566

Recommendations?

How expensive are your tubes?

Personally, if using cheap current production tubes, I don't mind replacing them every 6 months or so.  Saves me having to take tubes in and out and/or wait for my tube gear to warm up when I get home from work and want to listen to music.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,784 of 14,566
Genres helped by Manhattan:  Classical, jazz, rock, of all kinds, any 2 or three chord music such as non pop country, blues.  Even pop music if you can get by the autotune.
Genres not helped by Manhattan:  techno, rave stuff, many forms of electronic music not based on melodic western musical theory, rap, pentatonic...

Mike,

You are making me laugh. Maybe you could add a switch that would just disable those streams altogether.

Paul

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,785 of 14,566
Mike,

You are making me laugh. Maybe you could add a switch that would just disable those streams altogether.

Paul

Mike already added a "buy better gear" light to Yggy. Seems like a "listen to better music" light is the natural evolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back