What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 30, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,561 of 14,564
  So my goal is to build something really isolated and see how it compares against the venerated Dante system. That's all I'm sayin.  It will be a learning process for me.

Something AES67 compatible would be good.  Although I think the RedNet system has surpassed it but until Audinate makes Linux drivers I'm not playing.

Let me know if you need an alpha tester :wink:

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,562 of 14,564

Sarcasm. As is: "given the price point and combined feature set of this product, the only possible DAC solution contained herein will sound like something that gives Baldr the heebie-jeebies."

And if you use your Yggy into the analog input its ADC will convert it to digital for you so its DSP can room correct and send it to the class D amp that powers the main driver, that would make Baldr smile I am sure.
(apparently they sound really good)
I'll have to make do with my Bimby going all analog class AB into the LS50 instead 
frown.gif

wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,563 of 14,564
  And if you use your Yggy into the analog input its ADC

You could, but that would be dopey.  If you own the LS50 Wireless, sell your DACs and use the digital input.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #1,564 of 14,564
What we really need is Schiit to make deals with these active monitor people to include a Mimby in their higher end models.

Then, of course, the monitors could be marketed as "Audiophile Approved: Full of Schiit" .

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,565 of 14,564
  What we really need is Schiit to make deals with these active monitor people to include a Mimby in their higher end models.

Then, of course, the monitors could be marketed as "Audiophile Approved: Full of Schiit" .

I was going to write a serious answer about DSP crossovers, PWM amps, and if that "undoes" the multibit / burrito benefits, blah blah, but decided to go with this instead:

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #1,566 of 14,564
There is something inherently elegant and efficient about the LS50 Wireless concept, as it replaces the typically flawed passive crossover in speakers with DSP and active crossover, including compensation for driver time alignment and room modes, followed by an amp per driver, of which the tweeters even receive class AB.  As an engineering feat, it is a statement that counts.

Replicating that kind of setup in a Schiit world would be slightly cumbersome. The mental exercise makes me sweat: after the digital source, one would need (1) a DSP Box that calculates crossover, driver time alignment and room correction without leaving the digital domain. Then, two digital outs would have to be fed into (2a, and 2b) two Bimby's in order to get into a high quality analog signal. The 2x2 analog outs would have to connect to (3) a four channel preamp, preferably with relay attenuator (do these exist commercially?) for volume control, and then into (4a and 4b) two Vidars (one for the tweeters, one for the mid-bass drivers) in order to get the signal at higher volume. Then, I would have to perform open heart surgery on my speakers, in order to rewire binding posts directly to each of the drivers, thus bypassing the on-board passive crossover. Most likely the tweeters would launch into space with the power of a Vidar applied to them.

Personal conclusion: (1) I will not try to DIY something like that any time soon; I'd rather stick to two-way with passive crossovers for now
(2) KEF are onto something, and we will likely see more of these concepts come onto the market; likely some very high grade. (3) An audiophile-proof solution that separates DSP, DAC preamp and amps for such approach would be a niche within a niche within a niche; likely no manufacturer would ever consider offering this at Schiit volumes and pricing.

And further: happy new year to Odin's son, and to all dwellers on this thread.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,569 of 14,564
While everyone is talking KEF, I'd like to plug the Xeo 2/4/6 and XD 200/400/600 from Dynaudio as similar and excellent active setups. (Not to forget their Excite X14A and Lyd series for the desktop.)

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #1,570 of 14,564
While everyone is talking KEF, I'd like to plug the Xeo 2/4/6 and XD 200/400/600 from Dynaudio as similar and excellent active setups. (Not to forget their Excite X14A and Lyd series for the desktop.)

I have a pair of LYD 7. They're not just for desktops. I use them midfield.

I like the Focus XD series a lot, although I prefer the LYD 7 to the Focus 200 XD.

I don't like the Xeos series very much.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #1,571 of 14,564
Mike,

On the off chance you haven't seen this bluegrass band, "Sleepy man banjo boys" I thought I'd put in a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXcRI0BdioE . Some of the older videos are especially fun to watch. The youngest isn't up to Earl Scruggs, but he might be someday.

Ray

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #1,572 of 14,564
I have a pair of LYD 7. They're not just for desktops. I use them midfield.

I like the Focus XD series a lot, although I prefer the LYD 7 to the Focus 200 XD.

I don't like the Xeos series very much.

Did you by chance compare Lyd 6 vs. 7 before settling on the latter? I've been considering one of the two.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #1,573 of 14,564
Did you by chance compare Lyd 6 vs. 7 before settling on the latter? I've been considering one of the two.

Do you mean the LYD 5?

I liked the LYD 5. It's similar to the BM Compact, but better. It would be great for nearfield and on a desktop in a small room.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #1,574 of 14,564
Mike,

On the off chance you haven't seen this bluegrass band, "Sleepy man banjo boys" I thought I'd put in a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXcRI0BdioE . Some of the older videos are especially fun to watch. The youngest isn't up to Earl Scruggs, but he might be someday.

Ray

No, I haven't but will check them out. Thanks!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back