What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 29, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #1,546 of 14,563
They already have wireless/dac modules in their other products, so it's probably something similar. Though note there's active bi-amping and dsp processing going on (so basically at least one processor and two dacs and two amps per speaker), so "purists" will already be disappointed.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #1,547 of 14,563
  They already have wireless/dac modules in their other products, so it's probably something similar. Though note there's active bi-amping and dsp processing going on (so basically at least one processor and two dacs and two amps per speaker), so "purists" will already be disappointed.

Purists should be pleased!

It has 4 amps, 4 DACs!  

It's quad-mono.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #1,548 of 14,563
4 amps?  That's nothing.  The Kii Three has 6 n-core amps.  

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #1,549 of 14,563
  4 amps?  That's nothing.  The Kii Three has 6 n-core amps.  

Yes.  And it has 6 drivers per speaker.

Do you want KEF to put in more amps than 2 per speaker on a 2-way system? 
blink.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,550 of 14,563
  Do you want KEF to put in more amps than 2 per speaker on a 2-way system? 
blink.gif

OK, I'm down with that.  They can do the Devialet thing and use 2 amps per driver and give it some fancy French name.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #1,552 of 14,563
  OK, I'm down with that.  They can do the Devialet thing and use 2 amps per driver and give it some fancy French name.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #1,555 of 14,563
Hey, for clarification on my earlier post RE ethernet as a medium for audio connectivity, see the below. Maybe I tried to cover too much in the post. Let's have a clarification.

1. There are a number of AOIP server/client/endpoint style networks running a variety of hardware which to me appears to be primarily feature oriented. There seems little or variable data on which hardware chipsets may be preferable sonically.

2. There is a following of Dante system believers, who really are the group who overwhelmingly value the sound of such a system when used as a method of source to D/A converter connectivity.

Use case 1 above is primarily useful as distribution system for music within a given environment.

Use case 2 is a source (usually a computer) with a proprietary conversion to ethernet connected to an complimentary proprietary "decoder" box in turn connected to a D/A converter. At least that is how I understand it, never having used the Dante system.

Since there are a variety of AOIP system providers, and since I have little interest competing with Raspberry Pi type computers, I have little to negative interest in providing any solutions to #1 above.

I do, however, find #2 above interesting, as this could help me provide better performance in a sonic sense. This is the area which requires me to form a hypothesis as a basis to experiment and build prototypes. Therefore, I assume: Use case 2 is a higher performance connecting device. The senior advantage I see in ethernet systems is good electromagnetic and moderate electrostatic isolation. Therefore I also assume that a properly isolated connecting device should be an advantage over the same link converted to ethernet and back.

Rant: I HATE the term "galvanic isolation". I don't give a flying phuc that it has a wiki page. It is a factoid. What is a factoid? Well, a humanoid is a something which looks human, but really isn't. A factoid is something is appears a fact, but really is not/vague. /Rant

So my goal is to build something really isolated and see how it compares against the venerated Dante system. That's all I'm sayin.  It will be a learning process for me.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 30, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #1,556 of 14,563
Originally Posted by Baldr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

snip-

2. There is a following of Dante system believers, who really are the group who overwhelmingly value the sound of such a system when used as a method of source to D/A converter connectivity.

I do, however, find #2 above interesting, as this could help me provide better performance in a sonic sense. This is the area which requires me to form a hypothesis as a basis to experiment and build prototypes. Therefore, I assume: Use case 2 is a higher performance connecting device. The senior advantage I see in ethernet systems is good electromagnetic and moderate electrostatic isolation. Therefore I also assume that a properly isolated connecting device should be an advantage over the same link converted to ethernet and back.

snip-

You might be surprised at how many folks have incorporated the Dante/Rednet in their system connected via AES/EBU to the YGGY and was floored at the elevated SQ that they heard.

I do not own an YGGY but I do have the old THETA DSPro Gen V/A being fed by a Rednet 3 via AES and all I can say is I have never heard this vintage DAC perform so good like this before, ever.

The degree of REALISM is so compelling that as @johnjen says it

"in order to grasp the full measure of the changes AOIP can make, it really needs to be experienced directly and over time, in a well setup and dialed in system."

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #1,557 of 14,563

I'm sure that's some real high end DAC in there

Are you referring to the chip itself?

Pretty much all consumer-grade Delta-Sigma DAC chips are pretty cheap from parts point of view.  In the Schiit family, the same AKM4490 is used in the $99 Fulla 2 up to the $849 Gungnir DS (actually it uses the older 4439).

So not sure what point you're trying to make.

Sarcasm. As is: "given the price point and combined feature set of this product, the only possible DAC solution contained herein will sound like something that gives Baldr the heebie-jeebies."

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #1,558 of 14,563

Sarcasm. As is: "given the price point and combined feature set of this product, the only possible DAC solution contained herein will sound like something that gives Baldr the heebie-jeebies."

Yeah, well, it ain't going away...and with the new active ELAC UB5 coming out, there will be more of a similar genus.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,560 of 14,563
  I look forward to the impending Dante variant: the Schiit Flying Phuc System.

Oddly it's a fitting name.

Looking into the Dante System more it seems they are using a sort of Point to Point system riding on Standard IP based networks. They of course do not get into the in depth details as that is probably their secret sauce but it is similar to some of the tech I have seen on the data networking side of things with extremely good results.  Very Intriguing .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back