Wet Shaving
Nov 17, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #123 of 277
Well phooie; I used a brush and a cake everyday from probably '78 till about five years ago when I got me some nice Congestive Heart Failure and had to start taking blood thinners which prompted our oldest Daughter to avoid a Heart Attack of her own by buying me an Electric Razor.

Yeah; electric is faster and easier.

....but it's not as much fun.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #124 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambrosecarr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently switched from Mach 3 to Fusion and noticed a huge difference. Am I missing out on even more?

The Fusion is nice if you have hair that's quite thin and easily shaved, but if you have thicker hair or haven't shaved for a while it's honestly terrible. Mine clogs up constantly - unlike my Mach 3. I got myself a Mach 3 Power, and it's even better than the Mach 3. The vibrating feature actually really helps to shave, especially after a long period of not doing so.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #125 of 277
This is painfully addictive, I found someone on B&B who is using me as a test subject for making brushes. He is making me a handle out of pink ivory wood and topping it with a 24mm silvertip badger hair brush and only charging me about $35.. normally a brush like that would be at least $75. I'm also up to 11 different soaps and I recently bought 100 blades.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #126 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is painfully addictive, I found someone on B&B who is using me as a test subject for making brushes. He is making me a handle out of pink ivory wood and topping it with a 24mm silvertip badger hair brush and only charging me about $35.. normally a brush like that would be at least $75. I'm also up to 11 different soaps and I recently bought 100 blades.

Oy vey!
biggrin.gif

That brush sounds really nice, though. Does he take orders? I'd like a new brush.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #127 of 277
Quote:

Yeah, its quite addictive.
I have learned so myself. Visited a barber in Turkey twice last year for a straight razor shave, and returned home with a 12-pack of Arko shave soap, brush and mug (all for $15). Then went straight to eBay for razors. A few months down the road I had 7-8 razors, 400 blades, 2 Simpson brushes, 10 new soaps, and more.

Luckily I have been able to stop buying new stuff. I have enough supplies for 15 years at least!
popcorn.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #128 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oy vey!
biggrin.gif

That brush sounds really nice, though. Does he take orders? I'd like a new brush.
smily_headphones1.gif

He will be soon but I am a test subject, he will charge other people for labor and anything else. I'm not sure how much he plans to retail brushes for.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #129 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well phooie; I used a brush and a cake everyday from probably '78 till about five years ago when I got me some nice Congestive Heart Failure and had to start taking blood thinners which prompted our oldest Daughter to avoid a Heart Attack of her own by buying me an Electric Razor.

Yeah; electric is faster and easier.

....but it's not as much fun.

I could never get a good shave with an electric, so they were never faster for me. The only thing I did like about it was I could shave in the car on the way to work
tongue.gif

Quote:

LOL. I've already realized this will be a new "hobby" of sorts. Luckily it won't cost as much as the headphones or photography
wink.gif

I bought a kit from someone on B&B, so I started with a couple soaps, a cream, 2 razors, a couple types of blades, a badger hair brush, and some after shaves. I didn't like any of the after shaves, so I already bought another one. I do like the Mama Bear soaps though, although I might order some different scents. The 2 I have are somewhat citrusy which I don't particularly care for. They aren't unappealing or anything, I just think I might prefer some others more.

Grats on the brush. At $35 I would consider buying a new one too, but the brush I have seems to work well so far. Since brushes are the most expensive piece of "shaving gear", I'm gonna hold off awhile on buying a new one. After I've used mine for several months or a year, I'll have a better idea of what I want in a brush. Right now, I'm not really sure what I would want my brush to do better or different.

I really like my Merkur 38C though. I don't anticipate needing a new razor anytime soon, but I will be ordering a sample pack of blades pretty soon. I have enough for several weeks already though, so no hurry there either.

So are your roomates convinced to start using a DE also?

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #130 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So are your roomates convinced to start using a DE also?

well I'm not at school until January, so not quite yet. Although I did get a female friend of mine completely hooked

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #132 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by solessthanthree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
head-fi, you're not allowed to take all my money
mad.gif

Not?
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #133 of 277
I use the Double Edged Razors and brush when I am visiting in India, but I have never got around to switching over here. I think it comes down to the fact that on the slope, I am required (practically by law) to shave every couple of days, and I just don't have the time to go through the process. It's easier to just slap on the goo-in-can and use my Fusion up there.

I am seriously considering getting the equipment to get back into proper wet shaving during the time I am not on the slope.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #134 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Double Edged Razors and brush when I am visiting in India, but I have never got around to switching over here. I think it comes down to the fact that on the slope, I am required (practically by law) to shave every couple of days, and I just don't have the time to go through the process. It's easier to just slap on the goo-in-can and use my Fusion up there.

I am seriously considering getting the equipment to get back into proper wet shaving during the time I am not on the slope.

Hold on here, you switch around from the North Slope and India? Jeez, talk about going from one extreme to the other.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #135 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold on here, you switch around from the North Slope and India? Jeez, talk about going from one extreme to the other.

Nah, I misworded that. I work on the North Slope, but during my off-shifts, I live in Fairbanks, AK. I do visit India fairly frequently, especially, now that I get 3-week breaks and don't really have a whole lot to do during them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back