Wet Shaving
Oct 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 277

scott_d_m

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so we obviously love our headphone gear and retreat to it at the end of a hard day, so this brings me to how we start our day and by that I mean shaving. For me, there's nothing better than the satifaction I get out of a good shave and not to mention getting the day started right.

My routine to get a great shave starts with the use of a scrub that loosens up all that dead skin and softens the beard for a better overall shave. I then follow that up with a pre-shave lotion. One brand of pre-shave that I've been using with great succsess is Poraso cream which contains menthol and eucalyptus that gives a very cool sensation and feels downright awesome. Next up is the Art of Shaving lemon scented shave cream. With a little dab of this on the end of my badger hair shaving brush and a drop or two of water, I whip a rich creamy lather in my vintage Old Spice shaving mug. Once a lather has been made up, I proceed to paint my face until it comletely covered. I then use my Merkur Classic DE razor and make a first pass with the grain(rincing the razor everyoonce in awhile). I'll lather up again to go across the grain for my second pass to get a little closer shave. I then continue on to wash my face with Urth face wash for an overall clean experience and it also helps with minor cuts I might have given myself. Once i've dried my face with a soft towel I'll then apply a moisturizer which also acts as a aftershave and Bam!...I'm ready to start my day off right.

The tools I use for a great shave:
IMG_3104.jpg

Now that I've shared a bit about my other hobby(if you can call it a hobby), how many others here partake in the ritual of wet-shaving?

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 277
I partake in the ritual of web-shaving, and simply love it!
biggrin.gif

My gear/equipment consist of 7-8 vintage Gillette razors (1948-1965), 2 Simpson brushes (Chubby CH2 Super and Major Super), some 20 soaps, 300+ blades and more...

Example picture:
10858882qt2.jpg

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 277
wow- that's complicated for a shave!

My shaving routine goes like this: wet cheap gillette razor w/ warm water> shave> rinse and repeat.
Takes all of 3-5 mins.

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 277
When I was three years old, I was visiting my grandpartents with my folks. My dad absentmindly left his safety razor (safety, hah!) on the sink. I decided to shave. I cut my chin. I didn't panic. But I thought that I'd get into trouble. So I put my hand over my chin and was going off to find a mirror (that I could reach) and assess the damage. Blood was dripping all over my white tee-shirt and on the white rug. My dad asked me what was wrong. With deliberate sang-froid, I sald "Nutin'". Alas the jig was up and I got to go to the hospital. My chin was a mess. Luckily, Moose Jaw, Saskacehewan had a zoo and we were able to get a chin transplant with a baboon. Now I don't mind having a baboon chin, but as it was a rather hairy chinny chin chin, I just grew a beard. And I still have my beard (and underneath it is a hairy old baboon chin).

Me? I don't wet shave, I don't dry shave, I just don't shave.

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow- that's complicated for a shave!

My shaving routine goes like this: wet cheap gillette razor w/ warm water> shave> rinse and repeat.
Takes all of 3-5 mins.

Once you get going for a couple of weeks it's not nearly as complicated as it sounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was three years old, I was visiting my grandpartents with my folks. My dad absentmindly left his safety razor (safety, hah!) on the sink. I decided to shave. I cut my chin. I didn't panic. But I thought that I'd get into trouble. So I put my hand over my chin and was going off to find a mirror (that I could reach) and assess the damage. Blood was dripping all over my white tee-shirt and on the white rug. My dad asked me what was wrong. With deliberate sang-froid, I sald "Nutin'". Alas the jig was up and I got to go to the hospital. My chin was a mess. Luckily, Moose Jaw, Saskacehewan had a zoo and we were able to get a chin transplant with a baboon. Now I don't mind having a baboon chin, but as it was a rather hairy chinny chin chin, I just grew a beard. And I still have my beard (and underneath it is a hairy old baboon chin).

Me? I don't wet shave, I don't dry shave, I just don't shave.

Whata coincidence, the same happened to me but instead of getting the baboons chin I got a baboons ass transplanted on my face.
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 277
I've been wanting to try one of those mekur DE razors, would be my first real quality razor. But I usually get lazy about shaving... and wait til it's a bit longer to buzz it down with an electric, and follow up with a mach3 (not that good I know. but I do like it better than the 4 / 5 blade ones).

I read that it was recommended to follow up the against the grain pass with one along the grain, to help prevent ingrown hairs. Anyone with experience on this?

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 277
wow, and I thought us ladies take too much time doing things in the morning. That's pretty cool, of course I don't think girls take that much care in shaving their legs ever. Maybe because they aren't close to our eyes.

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 277
Scott_D_M wrote:
Quote:

Whata coincidence, the same happened to me but instead of getting the baboons chin I got a baboons ass transplanted on my face.

You lucky devil!

Cheers!

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, and I thought us ladies take too much time doing things in the morning. That's pretty cool, of course I don't think girls take that much care in shaving their legs ever. Maybe because they aren't close to our eyes.

It took me a damn time longer to shave my legs than it does to shave my face.

I wouldn't readily do it again though, the itching was awful when it starting growing back. Hopefully my head wont be so bad.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 277
haha why would you shave your legs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back