Wet Shaving
Oct 29, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #31 of 277
Just did my head. It took a lot longer and was a lot more tricky than I'd anticipated. It feels weird, not getting any bad burn or anything though so thats good.

I hate my hair shorter than number three because I don't like the rough feel, but totally bald isn't that bad. My mother is going to have a fit when she sees me on Saturday though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need help getting those sexy pictures out of my mind!
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

ftfy
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #34 of 277
So what are the advantages to using this overly complex (IMHO) ritual?

I prefer to shave in the shower. I don't care for the smell of most shaving creams or gels, so this way I can just wash my face afterwards with whatever body wash is in there. I used to have a couple bottles (the type with the little pumps on top) of this nice natural/organic stuff from the natural food store, but they don't carry it anymore. Right now I'm just using some flavor of Edge gel. For a razor, I use one of the triple blades that has a battery so it vibrates. I think it's a Mach 3, but I might be wrong. I thought the vibration thing was just a gimmick, but it really does make the shave more comfortable.

Any links to info on why these retro style methods and equipment are better? no youtube please. I don't like watching videos.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #36 of 277
Quote:

A shave?

I follow the 'overly complex ritual' in order to get a shave. Anything else is like a trim to me. Maybe I have tough facial hair, maybe I'm too dumb to get decent results out of extremely expensive multiblade razors, or maybe I'm spoiled that this is how I learned how to shave in the first place so I have higher standards for what constitutes an acceptable shave. My wife doesn't seem to mind. Besides, my overly complex shaving ritual costs probably $15 a year at the most. That gets you, what, 5 Mach III blades?

I don't see what is so complex, anyway. I mean, what do other people put shaving cream on their face with? Their hands? How barbaric.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #37 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A tighter less razor burning shave, which last longer. Its also an enjoyable procedure, which makes me relax.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #40 of 277
this thread is making me sad that I don't have to shave. Looks like fun. I mean I guess I could go all crazy vintage razors on my legs but this seems like the kind of thing where if you tried it on your legs you would bleed everywhere.

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #42 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread is making me sad that I don't have to shave. Looks like fun. I mean I guess I could go all crazy vintage razors on my legs but this seems like the kind of thing where if you tried it on your legs you would bleed everywhere.

well women have their own things ..like make up.. which inevitably takes more time than shaving
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #43 of 277
Quote:

Not paying a buttload for razor blades.

It is not that complex. It took me a little while to get the hang of it, but now I will not go back to Mach 3s. It isn't any harder and doesn't take much time. I don't do it in the shower. I never liked to shave. I enjoy it now and get a much smoother shave.

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #45 of 277
Gatto - you can use a classic safety razor on your legs. I only shave my face, but have shaved others (
smily_headphones1.gif
) with it. Made for some fun lazy Sunday afternoons, but got excellent, nick-free and smooth results. I also felt it worthwhile to use a traditional brush and mug during the process.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hayduke - you might want to check out Badger & Blade and Welcome to ShaveMyFace.com - The world's most comprehensive guide to the art of shaving and men's fine grooming products. Lots of information there. I think you should give it a try. Pick up an old Gillette for a few bucks and sterilize it by boiling it for 15-20 minutes. That'll take the crud off and it should look like new. Get some blades and a tub of cream. You should be able to for $20-$30.

You can get an excellent shave, save money over the overpriced replacement blades and actually enjoy it. Rather than hurrying through in the shower, you can take a little longer and have something to look forward to every day.

Also, I used to be against anything scented. But about two years ago, a dear friend talked me into an aftershave. She was right - I started using and enjoying them. I've tried other products, too, and found them useful. Never thought I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back