Wet Shaving
Dec 6, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #136 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not at all. My metro reference was only for those who fuss excessively about this kind of thing. I can just imagine them spending 25 minutes in front of the mirror fiddling with their various 'man makeup' products. Re-read the OP's initial post and check out that stash!

I would have thought common the reaction to this thread would have been, "Get real, dude. Whatever whiskers you miss in your shave one morning will be there the next morning. You'll get another chance to cut them before they grow too much."

But no, instead, everyone jumped in with pics of their own man makeup and a long discussion ensued about how best to make the bubbles and froth, what brand names of brushes they use, etc.

Get real. It's just facial hair. I take maybe 3-4 minutes to deal with it each morning with my electric razor and a dry face. No "products" of any kind required. Anything more than that is simply self adoration in my view. To me, shaving is and will always be one of the 3 s's: sh!t, shower and shave.

What's next? A thread about the morning dump and how best to protect your butt hair from the unwelcome invasion of Mr. Toilet Paper? Or do you shave that too? I give up...

A few years ago I would have completely agreed with you. However, I have sensitive skin and I found that wet shaving greatly reduced any rash or inflammation that I normally got with my Mach3 and Goo-Can.

I went back to the ol' Mach3 about two months after I started wet shaving due to time constraints and sure enough - rash, razor burn and bleeding galore. Not all the time mind you, but I did get it very often.

Now, I am back into wet shaving and doing it right. I'm surprised if I even bleed now and no more rash or razor burn. Sure it takes longer (~30 min for me) but the results are worth it for me.

However, in all honesty, I wish I could use an electric as you do. Consider yourself lucky.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #137 of 277
I read through this thread the other day and I've been thinking about getting some wet shaving gear. I use a Mach 3 usually and it's fine on my cheeks and chin, but anywhere under my chin I get razor burn if I go over it more than once, which is often needed to get a close shave. And going against the grain under my chin doesn't help either. My only problem might be the time involved at first, but I guess I'll just have to wake up a little earlier to get ready for work.

It also looks like a lot of fun, and those razors look really nice.

Anyone have any advice on where I could get some wet shave gear from? I know there's a 'Shaver Shop' in my local shopping centre, but what other kind of places are worth a look. Department stores? Or is it best to stick to dedicated shaving shops or similar?

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #138 of 277
Dec 8, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #140 of 277
Just picked up a Merkur HD the other day to go with the Proraso and relatively inexpensive boar brush I've had for about a month. So much better.

I just ordered a bunch of cream and soap samples to see which one I might get lots of. Still looking to get some different kinds of blades to try, a vintage Gillette or two (especially a Fatboy), and in the future a better brush.

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #141 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read through this thread the other day and I've been thinking about getting some wet shaving gear. I use a Mach 3 usually and it's fine on my cheeks and chin, but anywhere under my chin I get razor burn if I go over it more than once, which is often needed to get a close shave. And going against the grain under my chin doesn't help either. My only problem might be the time involved at first, but I guess I'll just have to wake up a little earlier to get ready for work.

It also looks like a lot of fun, and those razors look really nice.

Anyone have any advice on where I could get some wet shave gear from? I know there's a 'Shaver Shop' in my local shopping centre, but what other kind of places are worth a look. Department stores? Or is it best to stick to dedicated shaving shops or similar?

For info, go to Badger & Blade. If you want to jump in and get everything you need in one shot, try this:
FS: Complete shaving set. $80, shipped. - Badger & Blade
That's a good deal.

For blades, I like West Coast Shaving, Double Edge Blade Sampler Packs
He sells sampler packs. Blades are very much a subjective topic (much like headphones hehe), so a sampler is a good way to figure out which one you like.

I bought a kit from someone on B&B to get started and recently got a sampler pack of blades. I'm partial to soaps over creams so far, and I found that I don't care for cologne style after shaves. I'm using a Nivea for men product, and I love it. It does have a scent, but it's very subtle.

You should definitely check out your local shaving store though. You're lucky to have one so you can smell the stuff before you buy it. Scents are one of the biggest appeals of all this stuff, so it's hard to order online.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #142 of 277
I had a look at the shaver shop today, they had 5 DE razors there. Three were 'Weisi' or something, ranging from $20-30 AU and there were two others that didn't have a brand or anything on them. They felt nicer and were both about $45 AU (one was gold, the other silver colour). They had about a dozen brushes there as well, some badger, others probably synthetic(?).

I didn't really know what I was looking for exactly, so B&B would probably be a good place to start if I want to get into wet shaving, I guess. I didn't ask if they had many soaps there, but they're a pretty small store and have mostly electric shavers, fancy things, massage machines... that kind of store. And just a small cabinet for the old-style stuff.

Dec 8, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #143 of 277
That sounds like a nice shop. I got nothing in my small town, and it isn't much better down in Phoenix either
frown.gif

Weishi's get decent respect on B&B, but they are sorta considered beginner razors. The ones without names are likely Merkurs. They run ~$45. That's what I'm using. It's a 38c or long handled barber pole.

All you need is a brush, a razor, some blades, and either some soaps or some creams. After shaves and such are optional. I started using witch hazel after rinsing but before the Nivea balm. Not sure it makes a difference, but I get zero razor burn or discomfort. I'm not getting BBS, but I'm only shooting for 80-90% most mornings. It's better then I got with the old cartridge razor without the ingrown hair and razor burn.

Here is a thread that might help:
The New Guys Guide to Soaps & Creams - Badger & Blade

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

The group at B&B are pretty nice. Almost as good as head-fi
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #144 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The group at B&B are pretty nice. Almost as good as head-fi
wink.gif

Yeah, B&B is the community to join when looking for info about wet shaving.
What you don't find in there about wet shaving, is probably not worth knowing...
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #150 of 277
Anyone here use a straight razor and can recommend a good place to get one?
I've been thinking about getting one just for the experience of it.

I enjoy the ritual of shaving, even if mine is not so elaborate as some here. I use a Gillette Sensor, but it feels a little light to me. Hard to get a razor these days with a good solid feel to it. Those vintage razors in the first two posts look like they would be really nice to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back