Wet Shaving
Oct 31, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #91 of 277
haha I can't wait for my roommates to be like..... what are you doing. I have a feeling this is the kind of thing that at first they will be very confused and by the end of the semester they will all be doing it. I'm still a bit worried about cutting myself but it happens now with the razors I use so it doesn't matter.

Is it worth it to get expensive blades or are the big bulk 100 blades for $20 razor blades going to do a good job too?

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #92 of 277
Get the sampler from West Coast Shaving - West Coast Shaving, Double Edge Blade Sampler Packs - you can try out the different blades and find one you like before ordering in bulk. If you'd like I can send you what I have (the "choice" pack" - I got two because of a mishap during shipping) free of charge.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't really been using my DE... no time in the mornings now because I like my sleep.
frown.gif
I mostly use my brush + Arko/KissMyFace cream + Gilette M3 Power. It's fast and gives me a decent shave. I really like the "power" vibrating feature because it's soothing!

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #93 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha I can't wait for my roommates to be like..... what are you doing. I have a feeling this is the kind of thing that at first they will be very confused and by the end of the semester they will all be doing it. I'm still a bit worried about cutting myself but it happens now with the razors I use so it doesn't matter.

Thats certainly possible.
I have converted a couple of friends to wet shaving myself, and they seem to enjoy it very much.

Just move the razor up/down, not sideways, and there are little risk of cutting. A little blood the first times are quite normal, but probably not worse than with a multi-blade razor.

Quote:

Is it worth it to get expensive blades or are the big bulk 100 blades for $20 razor blades going to do a good job too?

No need spending lost of cash on blades.
I have tried blades from 8-10 different vendors and landed on the Crystal blades from Israel. Only $12 for 100 from West Coast Shaving.

They are among the cheapest, but those I get the smoothest shave with. Some are too sharp (Feather, Gillette, ..) and others are too dull/rough (Derby, Merkur, ...).

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #96 of 277
I'm too sensitive to soap to use the brush and mug to shave my legs and other associated things that must be shaved. ><

I can't even use shave gel, I have to use hair conditioner because the lubricating agent cannot have any soap in it, or I break out and itch terribly.

Considering my heritage and the, ah, Amazonian nature of the women in my family (including me), shaving is not at all pleasant for me, but I can't avoid it due to my own almost OCD levels of loathing for body hair. -_- It also takes forever to do without cutting myself or shaving poorly.

Guys have it easy. >.>

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #97 of 277
can't you use those foams that they have on TV commercials where you just kinda rub it on yourself and after a minute or two, when you wipe the foam away, it clears out the hair as well?

Seems lot less troubling

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #98 of 277
Depilatory agents react pretty badly with my skin; while they do a great job removing my hair, they do an even better job of turning my skin the color of a steamed lobster and turning every touch into excruciating pain.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #99 of 277
Syn, have you looked into alternatives to the canned goo?

You should check out that Badger & Blade site. Ask on the forums about the ingredients you need to avoid. I'm pretty amazed at the variety of pre/post shave products and the creams and soaps (maybe some they call soap don't use what you're allergic too?). I suspect there is something that will lubricate while you shave and also help improve the health of your skin!

Baines, from what I've read about using the DE razors, it's more about the good prep and lather then the razor. They say to keep using the cartridge razors if you want to save time, but to use a good prep routine. *shrug*

I bought a "newbie" kit from someone on the forums there. I should have it in a few days and I'll let you know what i think
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #100 of 277
my account still isn't activated on there yet. I'm looking for a good scrub for my legs before shaving but I don't want to spend too much. So far not much luck.

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #101 of 277
A DE razor is unequivocally the best thing I've bought in the past 10 years. If you have any shaving problems with the regular cheapos, get yourself a Merkur HD and never look back.

I once had a kid shout out 'where's the fire???' at the red rash on my neck from shaving too soon before leaving the house. Never again!

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #103 of 277
I know this thread died but I'm bringing it back. I got my DE and my blades and so far this is a lot nicer then cartridge shaving! I can't stop buying soaps, they smell so good and they're all super cheap. I've found a few people on ebay who sell their home made shaving soaps very cheaply and so far they are all nice
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, thanks everybody for converting me, definitely beats cartridges!

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #104 of 277
Just moved recently and misplaced my shaving kit. Guess I will have to purchase another fatboy, badger, and some blades. Can't believe that I lost them.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #105 of 277
Gatto, thats great to hear.
That you received the DE, blades, several soaps .. and are totally enjoying it. For me it make a cleaner shave, with less razor burning. Its so smooth!

Enjoy the time!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back