Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #391 of 1,957
  No one will want to hear this, but I got my new ciems, the Harmony 8 Pro's... and they completely obliterate the W60's in every sonic area literally. The only advantage the W60 has is that it doesn't need as much power, the W60 sound ok from my DX90, but the H8P can't do without a powerful amp like PB2, E12, Pico Power etc.

There really is not point comparing the W60's to the Harmony, lets see, Harmony has much better of everything: sound stage, separation, imaging, bass definition, bass extension, bass texture, mid clarity, mid transparency, mid texture, mid openness, mid balance, treble extension, treble texture, naturalness-timbre and decay of all frequencies is spot on, and finally the coherence and balance between bass, mids and treble is much superior.

There is one quirk with the Hamrony 8 Pro, the treble is extremely extended, to the point where its really sparkly (not sibilant).
There are two versions of the Harmony, the 8 and the 8 Pro, the only difference is increased treble extension of the 8 Pro in the high treble between 12-20K. I got the 8 Pro, if you are sensitive to treble, you should get the normal Harmony 8, as the 8 Pro has way more sparkly treble than the W60, I do not find the treble sibilant, but sparkly to the extreme, its hard to explain the difference, but basically treble sibilance occurs in the lower treble between 5-8K, so the Harmony is not sibilant, but it has extreme sparkle in the 12-20K region, any way, if you are not a fan of pronounced treble it will bother you, it is even too much sparkle for me with some pairings.

But there is an easy fix for this, either get the normal Harmony 8 that doesn't have the insane treble extension, OR the higher performance way is getting the Harmony 8 Pro and using it with a warm amp, like a tube amp, or a solid state amp using warm op amps like OPA627, AD797 etc. Thus you get to keep the treble extension of the 8 Pro, but reduce the treble sparkle to perfect levels, now you have a treble that sounds night and day better than the W60, its like there is nothing missing and perfect balance, its so darn natural, the W60 treble sounds completely half baked in comparison, sounds like its missing a bucket load of info in the 12-20K region and 5-8K region.

To sum up, Harmony 8 Pro + Warm Amp = Perfection, and remember these guys need to be amped well, its a night and day difference, It's a similar difference to amping my K701 or DT770 which are not listenable without an amp. The 8 drivers in the Harmony just beg for power.

Harmony 8 isn't hyped sound, the treble on the pro version is though, I can understand that the sound sig is a preference thing, but the areas that are undeniably better on the Harmony are the sound stage, holographic imaging, separation and cohesiveness.

W60 has very intimate sound to my ears, vocals and mids especially are intimate and they sound really silky, but to me it feels like the W60 is adding its own color, nonetheless, the W60 mids are special and unique. The harmony mids sound transparent, natural and open, mids sound like they are coming at you from further away, yet they are more upfront [ed note:
confused_face_2.gif
]
and clear than the W60, its an amazing type of holographic imaging the Harmony have. The bass on the Harmony is the best I've heard period, it has less mid bass bloat than the W60, its tighter and solid, yet extends lower with more authority and remains natural by keeping the sub bass lightly rolled off only at the very extreme end. The Treble of the Harmony is variable as there are two versions, the Pro version does have a bit too much treble quantity and I prefer usiung it with a warm amp to counter that. But after that, the W60 treble sounds like its missing air and extension, I find the timbre of the W60 treble also off.

Okay guys, here's a fixed version of TRANCE's review, just read the bolded parts! 
beerchug.gif

TRANCE, bro, I tease because I love! 
tongue.gif
  I'm glad you're enjoying the H8P. And I'm totally looking forward to hearing the H8P myself. [edit]: And I'll take your advice and try it both with a tube-like amp and without.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #393 of 1,957
@kunlun-I know you signed up for the tour, as did I. Have you heard the W60? I'm quite interested in it myself... Just wondering if you'll be able to compare the 2

I haven't heard it yet. It turns out that Westone makes their dealers pay for demos, which seems like a bad idea for business since the demos help sales. Anyway, I'd have to arm-wrestle friends who are Westone dealers to buy demos, let me hear them, and then return them. I'm waiting until I have more blackmail-able info on them...
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #395 of 1,957
  Harmony 8 isn't hyped sound, the treble on the pro version is though, I can understand that the sound sig is a preference thing, but the areas that are undeniably better on the Harmony are the sound stage, holographic imaging, separation and cohesiveness.

W60 has very intimate sound to my ears, vocals and mids especially are intimate and they sound really silky, but to me it feels like the W60 is adding its own color, nonetheless, the W60 mids are special and unique. The harmony mids sound transparent, natural and open, mids sound like they are coming at you from further away, yet they are more upfront and clear than the W60, its an amazing type of holographic imaging the Harmony have. The bass on the Harmony is the best I've heard period, it has less mid bass bloat than the W60, its tighter and solid, yet extends lower with more authority and remains natural by keeping the sub bass lightly rolled off only at the very extreme end. The Treble of the Harmony is variable as there are two versions, the Pro version dxoes have a bit to much treble quantity and I prefer usiung it with a warm amp to counter that. But after that, the W60 treble sounds like its missing air and extension, I find the timbre of the W60 treble also off.

I don't deny that there are C/IEMs out there that may be objectively better than the W60. For me, CIEMs like JH13, Mentor, V6-Stage, all do something better than the W60. However, only the Kaiser 10 is a better earphone in every aspect, IMO. I just find your decision to use the word "obliterate" a little odd, that's all.

Anyway, let's leave semantics aside. I'm just glad that you're found a perfect IEM for your needs. It does make me want to try the Harmony 8 / Pro myself. 
smile.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #396 of 1,957
How do you compare the weston W60 to the Noble Keiser 10, JH-13's Freqphase and Roxannes. How do the Weston W60's sound through the Chord Hugo dac vs the Astell & Kern Ak240 Dac. In comparison, What dac do you think speaks the most in the mid range to allow male and female voices to shine with clarity, detail, emotion and realism.

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #397 of 1,957
How do you compare the weston W60 to the Noble Keiser 10, JH-13's Freqphase and Roxannes. How do the Weston W60's sound through the Chord Hugo dac vs the Astell & Kern Ak240 Dac. In comparison, What dac do you think speaks the most in the mid range to allow male and female voices to shine with clarity, detail, emotion and realism.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #400 of 1,957
Sorry to disappoint you warrior... but the W60s are bad. Not terrible but just... bad. Extremely poor value for money from my 10 min demo. If you like bass youll dig it but its pretty ******* bad dude. Bass is bloated and loose and really just sounds muffled, ASG2 are infinitely better. Maybe youll like it but I definitely dont.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #402 of 1,957
I was referring to the Harmony, but I've been wanting to hear the W60 as well, sorry to read this.

The W60 is a very good IEM which I have high regard for. I'm not sure why there can be such negative remarks on such a wonderful product.

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #403 of 1,957
Sorry to disappoint you warrior... but the W60s are bad. Not terrible but just... bad. Extremely poor value for money from my 10 min demo. If you like bass youll dig it but its pretty ******* bad dude. Bass is bloated and loose and really just sounds muffled, ASG2 are infinitely better. Maybe youll like it but I definitely dont.

I think the W60 is a bit overpriced myself, but I disagree with your assessment of its capabilities. I don't think the bass is bloated at all, and it doesn't sound the least bit muffled. The W60 is a very detailed IEM with tight, controlled bass. To be honest, what you'e describing sounds more like the W50, a dark, bass-heavy IEM.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #404 of 1,957
  SHEEET, My review of the Harmony was a bit off, I referred to the treble as extremely sparkly, I was completely wrong, it turns out that the amp I was using had an output impedance of 10 ohm, which was decreasing bass and increasing treble of the Harmony. I'm using an amp with 1 ohm output impedance now and the treble is perfect for me and bass has increased also. The harmony H8P is not hyped at all, it is warm and full, its sound can change dramatically with different sources though, from warm with a low impedance source all the way to cold with a higher impedance one, no joke. The treble is no where near sharp now, bass and treble are equal now, and the mids have also become smoother and warmer, simple description of the sound would be warm, smooth, extended. Best part is I like the sound from both the high and low impedance sources, and they literally make the Harmony sound like two completely different high end iems, value for money right there lol!

[size=12.7272720336914px]Far out, reviewing audio gear is ridiculously susceptible to so many factors both technical and psychological that could alter a review that writing reviews is probably pointless lol.[/size]

Except it doesn't really work that way with balanced armature. With BAs, high output impedance = less high frequency, which is exactly the opposite of what you are saying.

It's a shame that's what you hear, because the W60 is one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back