Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #376 of 1,957
That's good to hear, Danz03. I tried the UM Pro 50 first and thought they were extremely dark. I exchanged those for the W50 and noticed a marked improvement (not as dark, much more clarity), but they're still pretty dark. From what everyone says here, sounds like the W60 are going to be awesome...!

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #377 of 1,957
[To me, the Pro 50 (or the W50) are not just dark, there are just too much low mids that made the sound very muddy and void them of clarity. The W60 on the other hand is just the opposite, crystal clear clarity with very low extension. But many here still think they're are not worth the big price difference between them and the Pro 30. I still think they are worth it, sometimes just that little bit more details make it all worthwhile, not that I could do without the Pro 30 either. But you should hear them before you buy, as everyone hears things differently, and they are not exactly cheap.

quote name="gordynor" url="/t/719766/westone-w60-impressions-thread/375#post_11039245"]That's good to hear, Danz03. I tried the UM Pro 50 first and thought they were extremely dark. I exchanged those for the W50 and noticed a marked improvement (not as dark, much more clarity), but they're still pretty dark. From what everyone says here, sounds like the W60 are going to be awesome...!
[/quote]

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #378 of 1,957
Agreed, I don't like the W50 at all, even though it's better than the Pro 50 already. Some ppl said the W60 are not worth the high asking price, I thought the W50 and Pro 50 are far worse, their sound signatures are more similar to Beats Solo than Westone IEMs, even the Pro 30 are miles better. I love both the W60 and SE846 but the W60 just a little more because of the super smooth treble.

Yup, agreed. I was shocked that the W50s commanded such a high price. They weren't terrible earphones per se, but their sound was atypical of a flagship, especially one from Westone. In fact, the W40 sounded better to my ears than the W50.

If anyone's budget stretched as far as the W50, I think they could certainly save a bit of money by going for the 4 driver model instead.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #379 of 1,957
I love my W4r, but I still think the Pro 30 are the best value for money, and they seem to be much better built than the UM3x/UM3xRC.

Quote:
Yup, agreed. I was shocked that the W50s commanded such a high price. They weren't terrible earphones per se, but their sound was atypical of a flagship, especially one from Westone. In fact, the W40 sounded better to my ears than the W50.

If anyone's budget stretched as far as the W50, I think they could certainly save a bit of money by going for the 4 driver model instead.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #380 of 1,957
I love my W4r, but I still think the Pro 30 are the best value for money, and they seem to be much better built than the UM3x/UM3xRC.

I haven't heard the UM Pro 30 myself, but I think I'll give them a try soon. How would you compare the W4R to the Pro 30? Thanks. :)

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #381 of 1,957
To me, the W60 and the Pro 30 have very similar sound signatures, whereas the W4r is more bright sounding in comparison, or another way of saying it is that they are thinner sounding, half way between the Pro 30 and the UE900s. I have not heard the W40 myself but I read somewhere saying that they have slightly more bass than the W4r, which is probably a good thing. But both the W60 and W4r have wilder soundstage than the Pro 30.

I haven't heard the UM Pro 30 myself, but I think I'll give them a try soon. How would you compare the W4R to the Pro 30? Thanks. :)

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #382 of 1,957
To me, the W60 and the Pro 30 have very similar sound signatures, whereas the W4r is more bright sounding in comparison, or another way of saying it is that they are thinner sounding, half way between the Pro 30 and the UE900s. I have not heard the W40 myself but I read somewhere saying that they have slightly more bass than the W4r, which is probably a good thing. But both the W60 and W4r have wilder soundstage than the Pro 30.

Thanks for the impressions. I was quite impressed with the W40s myself, and I would label them a mini W60. They are certainly better to my ears than the dark W50 that seemed to mask a lot of detail.

Anyway, I'll be sure to also audition the Pro 30 when I visit my local headphone shop again. From your comments, they sound like a decent alternative to the W60s, which are unfortunately, rather expensive.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #384 of 1,957
  No one will want to hear this

actually i think that westone iems are both overpriced AND overrated

then again , this is a market which rewards those with clear ears and thinking, right ?

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #385 of 1,957
No one will want to hear this, but I got my new ciems, the Harmony 8 Pro's... and they completely obliterate the W60's in every sonic area literally.

Complete nonsense.

First, you don't have my ears, nor my taste in sound quality, so you have no idea what the W60 sounds like to me.

Second, I don't know what eartip you used with the W60, but if you haven't made them work for you with the Sensorcom EarPortz, then you haven't heard the W60 at it's absolute best.

Third, what your describing as a sound that "obliterates" the W60 sounds to me like a description of an overly hyped sound signature designed to impress on first listen. This is the complete opposite of the qualities of the W60's strengths, so it kinda makes a serious comparison of the two irrelevant.

You might wanna go post that review over in the SE846 thread. That might be more relevant.

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #386 of 1,957
Complete nonsense.

First, you don't have my ears, nor my taste in sound quality, so you have no idea what the W60 sounds like to me.

Second, I don't know what eartip you used with the W60, but if you haven't made them work for you with the Sensorcom EarPortz, then you haven't heard the W60 at it's absolute best.

Third, what your describing as a sound that "obliterates" the W60 sounds to me like a description of an overly hyped sound signature designed to impress on first listen. This is the complete opposite of the qualities of the W60's strengths, so it kinda makes a serious comparison of the two irrelevant.

You might wanna go post that review over in the SE846 thread. That might be more relevant.

javahut I agree with you.

I have heard many high end IEMs and so far, nothing has come close to 'obliterating' the W60.

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #387 of 1,957
Haven't listened W60 yet but UMPRO50 is one of the best sounding IEMs to date for me compared to much more expensive ones. So if W60 shares the same essence I just can't wait to try them...

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #388 of 1,957

javahut I agree with you.

I have heard many high end IEMs and so far, nothing has come close to 'obliterating' the W60.

I agree. I have auditioned several TOTL C/IEMs in the last few weeks, and I must say that the W60 is definitely amongst the very best. In imaging and detail, they even surpass my Unique Melody Mentor. The only IEM I've heard that was truly a better earphone was the Kaiser 10, and even that, I'd hardly say that they obliterated the W60. Harsh choice of words, I suppose.

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #389 of 1,957

I agree. I have auditioned several TOTL C/IEMs in the last few weeks, and I must say that the W60 is definitely amongst the very best. In imaging and detail, they even surpass my Unique Melody Mentor. The only IEM I've heard that was truly a better earphone was the Kaiser 10, and even that, I'd hardly say that they obliterated the W60. Harsh choice of words, I suppose.

Thirded.

Just added the W60 to my nowadays small stable of gear after having auditioned them for an hour or so against pretty much all the TOTL UIEMs. Now that they are at home and I had more time with them yesterday, I confirm that they are IMO currently the best UIEM available, and they put up an incredibly good fight against my Roxanne custom. The Roxanne is still superior in terms of soundstage and imaging, but it requires some very critical listening to tell them apart. I don't claim to have heard everything in the world, but having heard TOTL from Shure, Westone, JHA, UE, Sennheiser (and the list goes on...), I think I have a good frame of reference, and using the word obliterate is nonsense, the W60 offer some of the best sound money can buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back