Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #406 of 1,957
so, is the w60 5 times better than the hifiman RE600 ?

pricewise it should be as the re600 currently sels for 199$ (i know law of diminishing returns...) but i see people shelling out 1000$ and not being happy....try something cheaper, folks

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #409 of 1,957
Lot of differences of opinions on the W60 unfortunately. I hope to be able to hear one in the near future, something tells me they are not as bad as some of the things I'm reading.

Definitely audition if you can. I truly don't understand the negativity. I love them and of the top-tier universals I've owned - IE800, SE846 - they're by far my favourite.

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #411 of 1,957
Definitely audition if you can. I truly don't understand the negativity. I love them and of the top-tier universals I've owned - IE800, SE846 - they're by far my favourite.

Yes, the negativity is a little bewildering. The price and value may be moot points, but its performance is not. I would even pick it over the SE846 as I prefer the slightly greater detail and clarity on the W60. Oh, well. I guess in the end, your mileage does indeed vary.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #412 of 1,957

[size=12.72px]Far out, reviewing audio gear is ridiculously susceptible to so many factors both technical and psychological that could alter a review that writing reviews is probably pointless lol.[/size]

These are really the golden words.  I couldn't agree more.  Synergy with gear is huge, type of amp, etc.

I have high regard for W60.  I have never in my life heard or thought they could create a treble that is SO revealing yet the overall signature is so soft and warm.  I think of extended treble as sharp and articulate.  If W60 had more sharpness and crispness it would be the best thing I ever put in my ears.  Just a little bit is all it needs.  Perhaps differents amps can bring this out but as a base product it needs more sharpness and articulateness IMHO.

When I exchanged it for W30 (couldn't justify the $1000 for lack of 100% complete satisfaction), I was floored what W30 was able to do.  W30 seems to have the better clarity and sharpness I was looking for.  No, it is not as refined sounding as W60 but it is the best IEM I have heard under $400.

RipnBurn accuses me of flip flopping (wonder where he finds the time to dig up posts from 5-7 years back (???What) but there is a tendency after about 4 months to get bored with current IEM and find faults and want to move on to another IEM.  I think my exchange with W60 was made around July 15 and I have listen to nothing but W30 since.  I still absolutely love it 100%.  My opinions haven't changes one bit.   For it's price it has virtually no faults and I prefer it over the more veiled sounding W40.  It may sound hard to believe but W30 is a W40 with better clarity.  Perhaps W40 has a tiny bit more of refinement but W30 clarity wins out as the better characteristic. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #413 of 1,957
I thought nothing could surpass my beloved Sennheiser IE800s, but then I tried the W60s. 

I can't say which one I prefer, as they are just so different. It's like 2 beautiful women; who can choose? The one I'm listening to at the moment is the one I find myself preferring. :)

The IE800s are more cohesive. They have a better mid-range. 
The W60s have a bigger sound-stage. They are more airy and a little more revealing of detail.
However, I can't get over the impression that the mid's are a little weak. Sometimes that just lets the highs and lows shine more; sometimes it feels a little unsatisfying. 

Overall, the W60s have a quality that I keep thinking to myself of in terms of a Japanese word, enryo (I live in Japan). Enryo is kind of like "reserved" but has different qualities. If you really want the last piece of something, but leave it on the table for someone else to take if they want, that's enryo. The W60s are like that: they don't force themselves on you, they kind of hang back and don't demand your focus, but if you turn your attention to the sound after thinking about something else, all the detail and beauty is there waiting for you to notice it. 

One reason for this difference is that, while the W60s have a little bit more detail, the sounds of the IE800 have a little more "sharpness" or "bite" to them. If you've done any photo editing, there is a control called "clarity" or "sharpness" or even sometimes "structure." The IE800's have this setting turned up a little higher, so each individual sound comes across as more well defined, even though there is actually not more detail there. The IE800 is like the image of a rose taken with a medium-format camera but with the clarity/sharpness turned up, while the W60s are like a large-format camera with the clarity/sharpness left at standard levels. If that makes any sense. 

I'll stop rambling now. Those are just impressions from somebody who doesn't know enough to qualify as an audiophile, I just like my sounds. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #414 of 1,957
Any reputable member here want to do a swap? Not permanent, just temporary. I'm dying to hear these. I'd be willing to lend out my Shure Se846, asg g2, Tralucent Ref 1, and even my FAD Lab 1 once I receive it. You'd have to be a respected member here of course and if I don't know you, a reference from a respected member here would be good. I can provide the same of course.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #415 of 1,957
Any reputable member here want to do a swap? Not permanent, just temporary. I'm dying to hear these. I'd be willing to lend out my Shure Se846, asg g2, Tralucent Ref 1, and even my FAD Lab 1 once I receive it. You'd have to be a respected member here of course and if I don't know you, a reference from a respected member here would be good. I can provide the same of course.

Wow, that's quite an offer! 4 IEMs for 1... lol.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #416 of 1,957
Just disregard my previous review of the Harmony, I found even more errors in it, like when I said they were under powered by the DX90, it turns out that its plenty fine, the bloated sound I thought that was coming from being under powered was actually a setting in the DX90 known as Slow Roll Digital Filter, which when I set to Fast Roll the pairing of DX90 became excellent. Also I was using medium gain at first, and I've now found that the higher the gain actually hypes the bass and treble of the Harmony, they[size=12.7272720336914px] sound best with low gain from the DX90[/size]

[size=12.7272720336914px]My review on previous page has been wiped lol, I've given up on doing reviews, I'm just going to enjoy my music instead [/size]
biggrin.gif

I'd appreciate if the couple people who quoted me would edit and wipe my comments, as much of it is incorrect and I don't wan't to mislead anyone.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #417 of 1,957
  Just disregard my previous review of the Harmony, I found even more errors in it, like when I said they were under powered by the DX90, it turns out that its plenty fine, the bloated sound I thought that was coming from being under powered was actually a setting in the DX90 known as Slow Roll Digital Filter, which when I set to Fast Roll the pairing of DX90 became excellent, basically the Slow Roll setting works best with thinner sounding iems while the Fast Roll setting works better with fuller sounding iems like the Harmony. Also I was using medium gain at first, and I've now found that the higher the gain actually hypes the bass and treble of the Harmony, they[size=12.7272720336914px] sound best with low gain from the DX90, Soooo there you go, my review on previous page has been wiped lol, I've given up on doing reviews, I'm just going to enjoy my music instead [/size]
biggrin.gif

You may want to follow-up your impression on the Harmony in its own thread rather than here.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #418 of 1,957
  Just disregard my previous review of the Harmony, I found even more errors in it, like when I said they were under powered by the DX90, it turns out that its plenty fine, the bloated sound I thought that was coming from being under powered was actually a setting in the DX90 known as Slow Roll Digital Filter, which when I set to Fast Roll the pairing of DX90 became excellent. Also I was using medium gain at first, and I've now found that the higher the gain actually hypes the bass and treble of the Harmony, they[size=12.7272720336914px] sound best with low gain from the DX90[/size]

[size=12.7272720336914px]My review on previous page has been wiped lol, I've given up on doing reviews, I'm just going to enjoy my music instead [/size]
biggrin.gif

I'd appreciate if the couple people who quoted me would edit and wipe my comments, as much of it is incorrect and I don't wan't to mislead anyone.

Hey, no problem, bro. More importantly, you're enjoying your music. At least you get to experience a really great IEM in the W60. 
smile.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #419 of 1,957
One more note: Recently I have been listening to the W60's with my Sony PHA-2, whereas previously I have just been plugging them directly into my iPhone. 

While the straight W60's are great, they definitely benefit from the pre-amp. 
In fact, I'd say they benefit more from the pre-amp than my Sennheiser IE800's. 
It rounds out and "thickens" the sound, and solves the issue of the mids coming through a little weak. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #420 of 1,957
I have a question for anyone that owned or owns the W4/W4R/W40 who then bought the W60.

But first a little background, and a little moan: In my opinion, the W4(R) looked waaaaay better than Westone's current breed. That smooth outer shell was classy compared with interchangeable faceplates. I also prefer the two-pin connector rather than the swivel thing that Westone/UE have gone for. 

And then there's the veil. That blasted veil. Some hear it, some don't. I do. 

So, given that I own much better-sounding IEMs (Roxanne, Miracle) why are the W40 the earphone I use most? Because they fit like a glove, fit in my pocket and have iPhone controls. It's as simple as that. I don't use them at home of course, but they are so comfortable and convenient for my daily commute.

My question is this: Does the W60 have the veil? I'd really like to hear from W60 owners who hear(d) the veil in the W4(0).

And just in case you were wondering whether someone could actually get through a Westone post without mentioning the S word... I find Shure's tips (olive and grey flex) excellent on Westone earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back