Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #421 of 1,957

When I exchanged it for W30 (couldn't justify the $1000 for lack of 100% complete satisfaction), I was floored what W30 was able to do.  W30 seems to have the better clarity and sharpness I was looking for.  No, it is not as refined sounding as W60 but it is the best IEM I have heard under $400.

so , it's better than the JH5 ?

would you suggest it over the JH5 ?

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #422 of 1,957
(and I own BOTH right now)

I think JH5 and W30 sound very very similar in bass treble midrange and level of refinement.  But I think W30 has slightly larger soundstage.  That's really about it.  I use the "star" tips on the W30.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #423 of 1,957
one last question , ho would you describe the w30 sound in a few sentences ?

thanx in advance

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #424 of 1,957
  I have a question for anyone that owned or owns the W4/W4R/W40 who then bought the W60.

But first a little background, and a little moan: In my opinion, the W4(R) looked waaaaay better than Westone's current breed. That smooth outer shell was classy compared with interchangeable faceplates. I also prefer the two-pin connector rather than the swivel thing that Westone/UE have gone for. 

And then there's the veil. That blasted veil. Some hear it, some don't. I do. 

So, given that I own much better-sounding IEMs (Roxanne, Miracle) why are the W40 the earphone I use most? Because they fit like a glove, fit in my pocket and have iPhone controls. It's as simple as that. I don't use them at home of course, but they are so comfortable and convenient for my daily commute.

My question is this: Does the W60 have the veil? I'd really like to hear from W60 owners who hear(d) the veil in the W4(0).

And just in case you were wondering whether someone could actually get through a Westone post without mentioning the S word... I find Shure's tips (olive and grey flex) excellent on Westone earphones.

Haven't heard the W40, but the W60 is very similar to the Roxanne. If you want to know what the W60 sounds like, take your Roxanne, set it at 12 pm and imagine a little bit less midbass and a smaller more in-head sound stage. If you want to try to replicate it, try -2 db between 100 and 200hz, and -1dB at 16 khz. Should give you a good idea.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #426 of 1,957
  If it comes close to the Roxanne the W60 would be an enormous leap from the W40. I've gone ahead and ordered the W60, which arrives tomorrow.

It does to my ears. In fact in some ways it will even surprise you: because of the less mid bass response, slightly more detail in the mid range and mid-highs jumps at you sometimes. That same detail is there in the Roxanne too, it's just not as forward because the mid bass presence.

Just don't expect the same sound stage. Roxanne is unique in that, probably due to the fact that it responds extremely well over 10 Khz. W60 sounds more like everything shifted in front and below your face. By no means is it bad, it's still a huge sound stage for an IEM, just not quite on par.

Also for the record, my impressions are with the Westone true fit foams. Things might be slightly different with the STAR tips.

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #427 of 1,957

I find the Roxanne very 'thick'-sounding, though it's still ludicrously detailed. It'd be great if the W60 has as much detail. I'm looking forward to receiving them. I hope they have more 'air' then the W40, which I think sound 'stuffy'.

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #428 of 1,957

I find the Roxanne very 'thick'-sounding, though it's still ludicrously detailed. It'd be great if the W60 has as much detail. I'm looking forward to receiving them. I hope they have more 'air' then the W40, which I think sound 'stuffy'.

The W60 has a wider soundstage than W40 with more air.

Changing cables have a large impact on the W60 as well. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #429 of 1,957
I have several cables that fitted the older W4R. 
angry_face.gif

That said, I do like the iPhone mic & controls of the newer models.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #431 of 1,957
  Is there any consensus on what the best cables are for the W60s? And where they can be purchased? 

Thx. I'm new at this. :)

The Mezzo Soprano Maestro cable is so far the best I have heard on the W60. I am not sure if I can quote the direct link here. Can PM me if you are interested to know more.

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #432 of 1,957

The Mezzo Soprano Maestro cable is so far the best I have heard on the W60. I am not sure if I can quote the direct link here. Can PM me if you are interested to know more.

Thx. I found those on the web. $600 is a little more than I'm willing to spend on cables at the moment. Half that is the absolute max. 

The problem with cables is that I can't try them out and see the difference. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #434 of 1,957
  Is there any consensus on what the best cables are for the W60s? And where they can be purchased? 

Thx. I'm new at this. :)

I would try Moon Audio and their Silver Dragon cables.
I use Double Helix cables for my Shure 846 but the Silver Dragon on my W60 actually help just edge it as my current favourite IEM.

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #435 of 1,957
Curious to hear your W60 impressions.  Strangest, most unique IEM in that the treble is so very extended yet it is so smooth and has zero fatigue, shrillness, sharpness or harshness.  Almost wish it had a little more or a little bit period.  But no real complaints.  Incredible refined full sounding (but balanced) IEM that oozes "quality sound."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back