Westone W60 Impressions Thread
May 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 1,957
As luck would have it. I got home with a popping eardrum and it is painful at the moment to listen to my iems with a proper seal atm. It just stinks that I have a set of new IEMs sitting hear and I cannot listen to them until my ear clears. Allergies...oh well.

Anyone else done any serious testing or a/b'ing?

May 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #19 of 1,957
I just bought a pair today, even right out of the box they were very impressive, sounding not unlike my SE846 with the standard nozzle with silver balanced cables playing from the AK240; the bass/sub bass was even more than that of the SE846, not sure if that's supposed to be a good thing or not. I was using the W60 stock cable with the SE out of the AK240, it would have been more fair to have used the balanced out too but unfortunately the MMCX connectors of the AOL SXC 24 cable with the balanced 2.5mm jack were just to big to fit to the W60's. That was my first impressions of the W60, they are being burnt in now, will listen to them after a day I think, will be comparing them to my AKR03 then too probably, wouldn't be fair to do comparison until they are burnt in.

Quote:
any other iems or headphones they own.

May 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #21 of 1,957

That's interesting, what do you mean by more sub-bass? From my sessions with them the se846 are noticeably more punchy using westone cables. I was using the westone mic cable on the 846 before, had to cut some of the rubber at the connector off, it stuck out too much which caused the iem to fall off. The w60 uses a different size mmcx plug?

Edit: I was using the white filter and black star tips with 846, I feel the short star tips gives better bass on both w4r and 846.

May 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #22 of 1,957
Listened to the W60 today briefly. Very nice overall, though it doesn't give me the impression as an obvious step up from the old W4. I haven't listened to W4 for a while now, so take that with a grain of salt. But my first impression is, it isn't feel like the 'next level' stuff. Solid sounding IEM with Westone house sound no less.

May 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #23 of 1,957
My W60 seemed to sound more bassy than my SE846 right out of the box, but not when I was demoing them at the shop, so maybe it was merely because they needed some burning in time or the AOL silver cable or the balanced out of the AK240 have attenuated the 846's bass a little. I'd have to try them all out with the SE out next time.

The connectors of the W60 are just standard MMCX connectors, it was the casings of the AOL SXC 24 connectors that are too thick, and the W60 do not allow enough space around the connectors for them to fit in. Maybe I'll try shaving the casings off a bit to see if they will fit.

That's interesting, what do you mean by more sub-bass? From my sessions with them the se846 are noticeably more punchy using westone cables. I was using the westone mic cable on the 846 before, had to cut some of the rubber at the connector off, it stuck out too much which caused the iem to fall off. The w60 uses a different size mmcx plug?

Edit: I was using the white filter and black star tips with 846, I feel the short star tips gives better bass on both w4r and 846.

May 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #24 of 1,957
  Listened to the W60 today briefly. Very nice overall, though it doesn't give me the impression as an obvious step up from the old W4. I haven't listened to W4 for a while now, so take that with a grain of salt. But my first impression is, it isn't feel like the 'next level' stuff. Solid sounding IEM with Westone house sound no less.

With W40 having a clear step up in bass than W4 this makes it even more confusing or difficult to justify spending $1000 versus $400

May 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #26 of 1,957
Have not heard the W40 but the W50 was more bassy than the W60, but the W60 have more details and clarity, not unlike the AKR03. They do cost a lot more, not sure if it can be justified.

Quote:
  With W40 having a clear step up in bass than W4 this makes it even more confusing or difficult to justify spending $1000 versus $400

May 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #27 of 1,957
As luck would have it. I got home with a popping eardrum and it is painful at the moment to listen to my iems with a proper seal atm. It just stinks that I have a set of new IEMs sitting hear and I cannot listen to them until my ear clears. Allergies...oh well.

Anyone else done any serious testing or a/b'ing?

As someone who is sitting here reading this through streaming eyes you have my sympathies.

May 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #28 of 1,957

I agree. Definitely not next level stuff. Westone is far too concerned with preserving their house sound that they're really not innovating. They've made improvements to build quality and ergonomics, but have stayed completely stagnant in the sound department. I've been very disappointed in the all of Westone's recent releases except for the ES5.

May 24, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #29 of 1,957
The 846 was a giant step up for shure,the w60 is a refinement for a lot more money.I like them but i am disappointed

May 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #30 of 1,957
I don't get it, to me, the perfect sound signature should be a neutral and balanced sounding one. UM3x got it, and what could be improved would be lower extension of bass and more refined details in the high frequencies, W60 is the right direction for Westone. The definition of High Fidelity is  the reproduction of sound with little distortion, giving a result very similar to the original, it's not supposed to be creative, it's supposed to be faithful reproduction of the original. I think that's what these reference monitors were designed for in the first place, they are supposed to be designed for musicians and sound engineers.

Quote:

I agree. Definitely not next level stuff. Westone is far too concerned with preserving their house sound that they're really not innovating. They've made improvements to build quality and ergonomics, but have stayed completely stagnant in the sound department. I've been very disappointed in the all of Westone's recent releases except for the ES5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back