Westone UM3X Thread
Mar 1, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #3,797 of 4,413
Yes.

The UM3X is easy to drive. And it works very well with any DAP. The sound quality will depend only on the source.

To me, this headphone is the best.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
UM3x has 124db of sensivity which means that its impedance it's no problem (Actually the higher the impedance the more voltage and better sound). These iems will get volume off any portable player you can think off.

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #3,798 of 4,413

Quote:

This setup, to my taste, is in the edge of a bright side of the sound. And I´m always use this DAP in the low gain mode.

Using UM3X with olive tips is very good with HM-602 alone. In the othe hand, I love my HM-602 paired with iBasso P3+ amplifier. This is the setup with almost palpable bass with a broad and analog sound.

Forget about the noise mentioned above. This DAP has no "noise". What this DAP has is a extremely powerful output and, with UM3X, I´m not get past the position 3 in the volume dial, even at low gain.

HM-602 has no hiss with Westone UM3X.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

What did you mean by "on the edge of a bright side of the sound"? Did you mean it sounds near perfect to your taste? Or... Bright sounding = A little hot on the mids and treble?

Have you had experience with the W4 paired with the HM602?

What genres do you usually listen to?

I hope this would also be of help to other people considering UM3x and caught in a dilemma of getting either Westone IEM and moreover, pairing with the 60x series hifiman.

Cheers!
Julian

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #3,799 of 4,413
Dear julianlaz,

Let's put things in perspective: I like a warm, relaxed and wide sound, with no harsh treble.

I love the Comply P Series tips. It is with them that I always used my UM3X.

I at first did not like my HM-602. I thought he was too bright (A little hot on the mids and treble, as you said). After some mental and DAP burn-in, I began to understand and like the sound. But things got really good when I started using the Shure´s Olive tips with UM3X, as they leave the sound with more body, losing a bit of aeration in the sound that Comply offer.

Anyway, my favorite setup is the HM-602 + iBasso P3+ (AD8277 in the L/R position) + UM3X, with Comply or Olives. Realy good setup.

PS: I've had two HM-601 and one HM-801. I know what I'm talking to... :xf_eek:)

PS2: I've had a Westone 3 and have no interest in Westone 4. Sorry.

PS3:I pray daily for the launch of Westone UM4X... :xf_eek:)

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:

Hi Peter,

What did you mean by "on the edge of a bright side of the sound"? Did you mean it sounds near perfect to your taste? Or... Bright sounding = A little hot on the mids and treble?

Have you had experience with the W4 paired with the HM602?

What genres do you usually listen to?

I hope this would also be of help to other people considering UM3x and caught in a dilemma of getting either Westone IEM and moreover, pairing with the 60x series hifiman.

Cheers!
Julian

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #3,800 of 4,413
I see!! Thanks a lot for all the input! Actually I think its kind of daft to compare merely technical aspect of an iem and decide. Afterall, your ear is the best judge. For matters such as these! Um3x it is. Thankyou:)

Ps I heard from a friend of mine that its possible to 'enhance' thr bass of an iem by removing its shell and do smth to its diaphram or smth. Is that true? Will it be risky?

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3,801 of 4,413

Quote:
Ps I heard from a friend of mine that its possible to 'enhance' thr bass of an iem by removing its shell and do smth to its diaphram or smth.

Is that true?

Will it be risky?

No

Yes

Opening up the shell to "do something to it's [in the case of the UM3x non-existent] diaphram" will achieve nothing other than invalidating you warranty and most likely damaging the earphones in the process.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #3,802 of 4,413

Quote:
I see!! Thanks a lot for all the input! Actually I think its kind of daft to compare merely technical aspect of an iem and decide. Afterall, your ear is the best judge. For matters such as these! Um3x it is. Thankyou:)
Ps I heard from a friend of mine that its possible to 'enhance' thr bass of an iem by removing its shell and do smth to its diaphram or smth. Is that true? Will it be risky?

Yes, you can have them opened or Cracked
normal_smile .gif
, the term I like using. Yes you can have a different BA installed if you want to enhance the Bass.

There will always be risk/reward when you pursue this avenue of modification. You will void the warranty and may incur damage. Due to the nature that the IEM is cracked, the BA drivers will not be damage, although the shell may. If this happens, and I have been told very rarely that shells gets damaged, you have a last resort of taking the BA drivers and having them custom re-shelled. 

Personally, if you want to add more bass by changing drivers, you are losing the integrity of the UMX3 sound and from that perspective why not get something else? Since the UMX3 has detachable cable and the stock has a lot to be desired
confused_face.gif
, a change of cables will add bass to varying degrees.

This is a professional service that I found out about a few weeks ago, that exists in Hong Kong and without hesitation I had my W4 cracked and a Shure compatible socket installed. I am wholeheartedly benefiting from having the option of swapping out cables on the IEM.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3,805 of 4,413
How would you compare the bass with other IEMs you've had? Specifically, can anyone compare them to the ER4, Atrios, FX700, EX1000, Aurosonics, FXT90, or GR07? I'm pretty dead set on these, but just want to make sure I know what I'm getting before I let go of $400. I like the detail on my ER4P, but like the bass on my Atrios.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #3,806 of 4,413
The bass on the UM3x is pretty natural to my ears, which for me makes it ideal for rock.  For jazz I like a little more bass boost for some reason.  I have not had any of the earphones you list, but have had the W4, which was too thin down low for my tastes. I think the UM3X is the ideal natural, not emphasized in any part of the spectrum earphone. The bass is tight and fast, but not as lean as the W4 and PFE's I have had. But the soundstage is fairly narrow, which may be why it is not my go-to for jazz.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #3,807 of 4,413

Do You have an Ety ER4? Great. So I would say that the UM3X is the evolution of ER4. They are sort of cousins ​​and share many (good) features. Changing to UM3X did not cause major difficulties and provides a beautiful experience.

I can not understand why complain so much of the soundstage in UM3X. It only reproduces faithfully the soundstage contained in the recording. An even bigger soundstage is produced artificially by the headphone, reducing the natural energy of the music.

In the bass department, no comparison with the ER4. The sound of ER4 is based on a high-frequency presentation, highly transparent, thin, dry and without body. Missing life in their sound. It's something you learn to appreciate (I liked), until you find something else that works better, having the same characteristics, but in a more natural and correct way.

The UM3X is extremely balanced, however, presents bass with a certain personality or characteristic. You listen and feel it and it is who gives the spice to the sound.

Things that I would highlight:

1 - Excellent instruments separation;

2 - Excellent soundstage, when you "get" what you are listening;

3 - Excellent image rendering;

4 - The sound can change depending on the tips that you use. The "Olive" produces a sound with more bass and body, but slightly more condensed. With the Comply, the sound is closer to the ER4, making it more "thin" and decreasing the body of the sound. The bass are a little more drier and lose some energy, making it more fast, but there is a greater aeration and separation between instruments. Both options are excellent, depending only on the personal taste of each one;

5 - The UM3X is a "window" to the source, as well as the ER4, however, presents this clarity in a more natural and musical way;

6 - The UM3X is mildly hot and is far from dry. He is energetic without being excited or tiring. This headphone is highly entertaining, depending on the source and music;

7 - Works well with any source and reproduces the characteristics of each one, even if they are cold, hot, analytic or musical. You may have the impression of being with the band in the studio or stage or have a musical experience, with a relaxed and analog sound. It will depend on the source and/or amplification used. The result is always good;

8 - Works well with amplifiers. And faithfully presents the "flavors" of each one;

9 - It is not sensitive enough to hear the background hiss. Even in my HifiMan HM-602;

10 - It's comfortable.

What can you ask for more?

Westone UM4X!

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
How would you compare the bass with other IEMs you've had? Specifically, can anyone compare them to the ER4, Atrios, FX700, EX1000, Aurosonics, FXT90, or GR07? I'm pretty dead set on these, but just want to make sure I know what I'm getting before I let go of $400. I like the detail on my ER4P, but like the bass on my Atrios.

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #3,808 of 4,413
The soundstage is of a more accurate size from a performers perspective (for some venues) but from a concert viewer perspective, it is somewhat closed in from left to right. However it has very good depth. I don't mind it though, as it does everything else so well.

I wouldn't prescribe larger soundstages as artificial. It's just a matter of perspective.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #3,809 of 4,413
You are right and is a good point of view.

Quote:
The soundstage is of a more accurate size from a performers perspective (for some venues) but from a concert viewer perspective, it is somewhat closed in from left to right. However it has very good depth. I don't mind it though, as it does everything else so well.
I wouldn't prescribe larger soundstages as artificial. It's just a matter of perspective.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #3,810 of 4,413

Quote:

It's dead accurate. Impact and slam is somewhat slightly reduced compared to the TF10s and the SM3s, but the layering is just superb. It gives you what the music file and source pump out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back