Westone UM3X Thread
Jan 31, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #3,769 of 4,413
No.

I want to keep the universal options. This hobby is expensive enough to keep me away from the custom options. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Or you can go after the Westone ES3X. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3,770 of 4,413

The UM3X's have kept me from buying anything for the past 2+ years... I even had to send it in for out of warranty repair.

It's been doing a fine job and I love the sound with the audio enhancements coming from the Cowon S9.

Haven't logged onto this forum forever and the UM3X is doing a good job keeping me from doing so lol. Until the UM4X, or whatever. I might invest in a pair of custom UM56 tips though soon

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #3,771 of 4,413

Quote:
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I clearly said above that I do not think in any way that the W4 in an upgraded um3x.

quite serious, the W4 is very monitor like, more so that i felt the um3x ever was.  given the W range is meant to be the more consumer friendly sound a cant see them actually doing a um4.  plus the w4 is an upgrade, like it or not.  at this kind of level matching your tastes is much more important than one being better than another.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #3,772 of 4,413

Quote:
quite serious, the W4 is very monitor like, more so that i felt the um3x ever was.  given the W range is meant to be the more consumer friendly sound a cant see them actually doing a um4.  plus the w4 is an upgrade, like it or not.  at this kind of level matching your tastes is much more important than one being better than another.

Can't help it if you think they really are an upgrade, but I'm wondering if you're just basing that on price alone. When universal IEM's are at this price range, which is pretty much as high as it gets, it gets more and more difficult to say which is an upgrade over which, since they each offer above average SQ at least, and have different advantages over others. As you said, um3x and W4 have different tastes, not overall quality.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #3,773 of 4,413

You must understand that the sound quality can be the same, but the sound presentation is quite different. The W4 is a evolution from the W3, not from UM3X.

From what I've read, the W4 "corrected" some features of W3 (I've ever had) and this settlement brings it closer to the UM3X, a headphone that is more "correct" and balanced than W3.

Whenever I read something about the W4, what draws attention is his great soundstage. And this is a big difference to the UM3X. This broad soundstage brings a smooth sound to the W4, where the UM3X doesn´t have this kind of smoothness sound. He is energetic without being excited, if you can understand me. It is the type of headphone that makes you dance, and move your head. It is very difficult to hear him quietly sitting in a chair.

Anyway, whatever you want, they are different categories of headphones.

What I hope in a hypothetical UM4X? Exactly what is the UM3X, however, with more body, fuller, feasible, more lifelike sound. Perhaps with a little bit of quality bass. I do not know how to say, but it should move away a little of the "high frequency" sound, which also affects the Ety ER4S, for example.

In the end, as I said several times, it is a magnificent and superb IEM. Musical. Very emotional, I would say.

PS: I always use my headphones with Comply Foam tips, Tx-100 model.

Quote:

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3,775 of 4,413
I just picked up a pair of these(UM3X) with the removable cable. They sound good, very good(with Shure Olives), good bass impact, treble extension and mids that are a bit upfront. I had a choice between the UM3X, W4R and the SE535LTD and liked these the best. The UM3X aren't perfect, but these are a great backup for my Fitear MH-334 customs.

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3,776 of 4,413

Quote:
I just picked up a pair of these(UM3X) with the removable cable. They sound good, very good(with Shure Olives), good bass impact, treble extension and mids that are a bit upfront. I had a choice between the UM3X, W4R and the SE535LTD and liked these the best. The UM3X aren't perfect, but these are a great backup for my Fitear MH-334 customs.

Just curious, did you actually listen to all three and decide or was it a gamble? I'm not surprised on beating the 535, but curious about the W4. Everyone's got an opinion 
rolleyes.gif

Hope you don't see any of the RC cable problems some have had, that said their customer service is some of the best in the business.

530's weren't balanced enough for me UM3x is one of my favorites for that reason

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3,777 of 4,413

Quote:
Just curious, did you actually listen to all three and decide or was it a gamble? I'm not surprised on beating the 535, but curious about the W4. Everyone's got an opinion 
rolleyes.gif

530's weren't balanced enough for me UM3x is one of my favorites for that reason

Donnyhifi mentioned SE535LTD, so yes, his opinion only.
SE535LTD are not SE535 nor SE530, it was clearly pointed out here (better separation, better treble), and my opinion is that SE535LTD are better than UM3X, with some EQ-ing.

Not that I don't like UM3X (my absolute favorite before I got the SE535LTD because I favor separation and clarity above all), but with proper EQ-ing (neither of the 2 sound great to me with flat EQ), SE535LTD truly shine.
W4 probably sound better with flat EQ from what people say, but I haven't heard them and don't plan to try them since I feel they would be more "boring" to my taste.

My 2 cents (and a half).
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #3,780 of 4,413

Quote:
Donnyhifi mentioned SE535LTD, so yes, his opinion only.
SE535LTD are not SE535 nor SE530, it was clearly pointed out here (better separation, better treble), and my opinion is that SE535LTD are better than UM3X, with some EQ-ing.

Not that I don't like UM3X (my absolute favorite before I got the SE535LTD because I favor separation and clarity above all), but with proper EQ-ing (neither of the 2 sound great to me with flat EQ), SE535LTD truly shine.
W4 probably sound better with flat EQ from what people say, but I haven't heard them and don't plan to try them since I feel they would be more "boring" to my taste.

My 2 cents (and a half).
wink.gif

The W4 is actually extremely lively with a cable change.....too lively for me using a silver cable but finding good synergy with the copper/silver hybrid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back