Westone UM3X Thread
Dec 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #3,739 of 4,413

Quote:
I got some new olives and they fit and sound good except bass impact has decreased a lot compared to the grey silicones. Its so hard finding the right tips, I have no idea what to do now.

Have you tried the tri-flange tips?  They work for me with the small end trimmed off and the stem trimmed a bit for depth.
They are durable and give a good seal.

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3,740 of 4,413
yeah the grey silicones gives a lot of bass a long with the biflange tips. However olives gives the most balanced and natural sound out of all frequencies. Once you get to the point where its impossible to find the right tips, then your only answer is Customs. If you do take that route, try the UM56 custom tips or go straight to Custom IEMS.

Quote:
I got some new olives and they fit and sound good except bass impact has decreased a lot compared to the grey silicones. Its so hard finding the right tips, I have no idea what to do now.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #3,741 of 4,413
Yes I've tried them trimmed but they are uncomfortable in the long run and I had this problem of them not retaining their original shape afterward. I'll likely never do any custom stuff until I could reasonably afford the JH13...which won't be for years. 
Quote:
Have you tried the tri-flange tips?  They work for me with the small end trimmed off and the stem trimmed a bit for depth.
They are durable and give a good seal.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #3,743 of 4,413
Well, actually I had been using the biggest foam tips which UM3x comes with for about two months before they totally died. Then I tried to use white tri-flange tips (after cutting off the little flange) and you know, it sounds really better over highs than the foam tips, but it's not very comfortable for me, it hurts my ears. So, I decided returning to foam tips, but due to its price (I'd say it overpriced as for just pieces of foam...) and the muddy highs, I've tried to make foam tips by myself. I went to the nearest market place, bought simple ear plugs (for sleeping), prepared a few tools and made my own foam tips. The tools are needed: just a little thin metal tube (to punch a hole out in the foam), a bit of glue and of course plastic tubes such as Comply uses in its foam tips (I took them from my dead tips). The results I've got: 1. Way better noise isolation than any tips I've ever used before these ones. Actually I can hear nothing wearing them. 2. Super comfortable fit. 3. Absolutely neutral, extremely detailed sound over all frequencies, nothing I've used before can be compared to this.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #3,744 of 4,413
My UM3X RCs have their first problem.. on my left ear piece, there's a ticking sound. Even when it's not connected to any device, the ticking sound is still there. I even removed the cable from the left ear piece to isolate the problem and it seems it's a physical problem with the ear piece itself. I haven't dropped this or anything like that.. 

This sucks because I live in the Philippines and shipping the product to westone and back is going to be too costly.. T_T In order to ignore this problem, music has to be played in loud volumes.. something I don't usually do unless I'm jogging.. T_T

Has anybody ever experienced this problem as well?

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #3,745 of 4,413
yup i did have that problem with my UM2, emailed westone and they told me that the driver could either be loose and moving around or simply that the driver is dying but its highly unlikely. Worst case i've had was the sound being cut off. It would get cut on and off as I walk or jog. In the end, westone helped me replace the drivers. You have no choice but to send it back.

Quote:
My UM3X RCs have their first problem.. on my left ear piece, there's a ticking sound. Even when it's not connected to any device, the ticking sound is still there. I even removed the cable from the left ear piece to isolate the problem and it seems it's a physical problem with the ear piece itself. I haven't dropped this or anything like that.. 

This sucks because I live in the Philippines and shipping the product to westone and back is going to be too costly.. T_T In order to ignore this problem, music has to be played in loud volumes.. something I don't usually do unless I'm jogging.. T_T

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #3,746 of 4,413

Quote:

I had exactly the same problem with my UM3X, but when I tried to solve it, I noticed that the ticking sound was due to its cable (the part where pins are located, that part of cable waved and made such sounds).

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #3,747 of 4,413
I also just bought a pair of UM3X RC and I've noticed that the right earpiece has a somewhat loose connection (Well, not very loose but not as tight as the left earpiece).

I'm thinking of putting a very, very, very small amount of super glue on the plastic near the connectors so that the connector wouldn't wiggle much. However, I fear that the warranty will be voided. 

Your thoughts?

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #3,748 of 4,413

Quote:
I also just bought a pair of UM3X RC and I've noticed that the right earpiece has a somewhat loose connection (Well, not very loose but not as tight as the left earpiece).

I'm thinking of putting a very, very, very small amount of super glue on the plastic near the connectors so that the connector wouldn't wiggle much. However, I fear that the warranty will be voided. 

Your thoughts?

Don't do it. If it bothers you, call Westone and get a replacement. I have both the UM3X RC and W4 R, and neither are "loose" at either side - if looseness developed, I would contact Westone if it bothered me much.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #3,749 of 4,413

Quote:
Don't do it. If it bothers you, call Westone and get a replacement. I have both the UM3X RC and W4 R, and neither are "loose" at either side - if looseness developed, I would contact Westone if it bothered me much.

I see. Well, I've concluded that the right earpiece's connector is relatively loose than the left side since when I tried a spare Westone ES2 cable I can easily pop in and out the cables in the connector. With the EPIC cables, there's still that ease in removing and installing the cables in the right earpiece but not as easy compared to the ES2 cables. 

It's not yet bothering me. I'm just concerned that problems may develop in the future. But until that happens, I'll just use the UM3X as it is. :)

(I want to try to send the unit back to Westone or to the local shop where I bought the pair but I don't want to part with my UM3X this soon. Hahaha :D)

Thanks for the tip! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back