Westone UM3X Thread
Jan 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3,751 of 4,413

Quote:
Seems like um3x isn't all that hot anymore. I got these recently and absolutely love them for metal music.

Sadly, the world of IEM is fast-moving and with a short attention span. Had to send a two month-old pair of W4 back for some service. Very much enjoying my back-up UM3X. Hot or not, alright by me!

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #3,752 of 4,413
First, an update on my UM3X problem I posted recently. After a while, the ticking sound disappeared - so it's all goooooood~ :)

Yep, the UM3X aren't that "hot" but they are still an incredible pair of IEMs.. I love these to death and they are incredibly durable. Especially the cable :) It's something someone like me who doesn't take extreme care of their things appreciate a lot about the UM3X :) and! if the cable breaks down, I can just get replacement cables :D yeah!!! :p

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #3,753 of 4,413

Quote:
Seems like um3x isn't all that hot anymore. I got these recently and absolutely love them for metal music.

new makes for hot

what makes great is that they have longevity and im sure the um3x as much as im not a great fan will be arround for some time.  its not slick or flashy but its excellent at what it does.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #3,756 of 4,413

I'm surprised to hear that. I bought the Westone 4 before the um3x, and I totally hated its bland, flat sound signature. The um3x IMO was completely different in that it has a "fun" sound signature, and is much more suitable to the music I listen to which requires this type of sound and also the instrument separation to differentiate between the many layers used. Also, to add, the Westone 4 wasn't nearly as analytical as the um3x, since Westone 4 is marketed more towards casual listeners than for reference monitoring.
Quote:
Quote:

The Westone 4 are more similar to the UM3X than to the Westone 3, so I find it hard to immagine what to expect from one hypothetical UM4X.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #3,757 of 4,413
Quote:
I'm surprised to hear that. I bought the Westone 4 before the um3x, and I totally hated its bland, flat sound signature. The um3x IMO was completely different in that it has a "fun" sound signature, and is much more suitable to the music I listen to which requires this type of sound and also the instrument separation to differentiate between the many layers used. Also, to add, the Westone 4 wasn't nearly as analytical as the um3x, since Westone 4 is marketed more towards casual listeners than for reference monitoring.

It's all about personal perception.
Even with the added bass, I can't consider the W3 funner than the W4, due to their mildly artificial presentation alone, not to mention the somewhat recessed highs.

You say the W4 are less analytical because they're marketed towards casual listeners.
Then how are the UM3X more "fun" in sound signature, if they're being marketed for "reference monitoring"? :)
Both are excellent in clarity, separation, detail, what varies the most is the bass (lower on the W4, despite the added bass driver - incredibly detailed, though) and the presentation.

Fun, ear-catching monitors, for casual listening, are the Westone 3. Those are very, very different from the W4. The W4 were not the next in the same line.

The W3 vs UM3X, casual vs reference monitors comparison, makes perfect sense.
In the case of the W4, we're not in the presence of a fun, v-shaped, casual listening, ear-catching monitor. That's why I wouldn't know what to expect form an hypothetical UM4X :)

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #3,758 of 4,413

I do agree that the term "fun" is a really loose term that is going to be very different for different people. But the Westone 4 is still more directed towards casual listening, but it is limited to an audience who wants good SQ, but does not want an aggressive sound, and could probably listen to for hours without fatigue. The um3x is the direct opposite of this, and in fact many people do complain that the um3x sound is tiring to the ears after some time. This isn't the case for me, but that is what I've seen to apply for many people.
Quote:
It's all about personal perception.
Even with the added bass, I can't consider the W3 funner than the W4, due to their mildly artificial presentation alone, not to mention the somewhat recessed highs.

You say the W4 are less analytical because they're marketed towards casual listeners.
Then how are the UM3X more "fun" in sound signature, if they're being marketed for "reference monitoring"? :)
Both are excellent in clarity, separation, detail, what varies the most is the bass (lower on the W4, despite the added bass driver - incredibly detailed, though) and the presentation.

Fun, ear-catching monitors, for casual listening, are the Westone 3. Those are very, very different from the W4. The W4 were not the next in the same line.

The W3 vs UM3X, casual vs reference monitors comparison, makes perfect sense.
In the case of the W4, we're not in the presence of a fun, v-shaped, casual listening, ear-catching monitor. That's why I wouldn't know what to expect form an hypothetical UM4X :)

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3,759 of 4,413

Quote:
I do agree that the term "fun" is a really loose term that is going to be very different for different people. But the Westone 4 is still more directed towards casual listening, but it is limited to an audience who wants good SQ, but does not want an aggressive sound, and could probably listen to for hours without fatigue. The um3x is the direct opposite of this, and in fact many people do complain that the um3x sound is tiring to the ears after some time. This isn't the case for me, but that is what I've seen to apply for many people.

"Fun" really depends on expectations and taste.

If you ask me for example (only using top-tier examples), FX700s are fun, and in comparison UM3X are rather sweet and flat, so I would expect Westone 4 to be boring (never heard them but from reading I wouldn't spend a dime on them).
Take people who like W4 a lot, they would probably find UM3X fun or a bit tiring, and FX700 would just be unbearable.

And just for the record, I got my UM3X one months ago, and beside the average comfort for my big ears, they are HOT!
I value separation and clarity above all, and they are just awesome in those departments.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3,760 of 4,413

Separation and clarity is something that these definitely deliver. Sorry to hear that you only get average comfort with these, as I find these to be very comfortable even with the notoriously "painful" triple flanges. I guess I have very deep ear canals as I need spacers to make the flanges reach even deeper.
Quote:
"Fun" really depends on expectations and taste.

If you ask me for example (only using top-tier examples), FX700s are fun, and in comparison UM3X are rather sweet and flat, so I would expect Westone 4 to be boring (never heard them but from reading I wouldn't spend a dime on them).
Take people who like W4 a lot, they would probably find UM3X fun or a bit tiring, and FX700 would just be unbearable.

And just for the record, I got my UM3X one months ago, and beside the average comfort for my big ears, they are HOT!
I value separation and clarity above all, and they are just awesome in those departments.

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3,761 of 4,413

Quote:
Separation and clarity is something that these definitely deliver. Sorry to hear that you only get average comfort with these, as I find these to be very comfortable even with the notoriously "painful" triple flanges. I guess I have very deep ear canals as I need spacers to make the flanges reach even deeper

My issue is more than I only find the sound "spot-on" with double or triple flanges with the UM3X.
I can get a good fit with large Shure silicone tips (the round ones) but I seem to lose in detail with single flange. Same with Sony hybrids, Comply T100 and Ts100: good fit but loss in detail.

Seal/fit is perfect with large double/triple flange tips (not the provided ones, they're too small for my ears, I use large Koss triple flange tips) but they make my ear canals itch like crazy after 30min. I think it is due to the shiny black silicone that Koss uses for those tips, I never had a reaction like with any other silicone tip so I'm pretty sure the cause is Koss material and not the insertion depth.

So I'm looking for large double/triple flange tips (one size larger than the provided white triple flange tips) that I could buy within the EU.
I tried some MEElec large double flange tips but they really are low quality (the silicone is too thin and flexible).

Any idea ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3,762 of 4,413

I have no clue as to any triple flanges that are larger than the standard "medium" size. I've tried the Shure and Westone ones, and right now I am using one I bought from eBay, which is also a medium size. Have you tried looking at Sensorcom's offerings? They are based in Europe so if you find something that you might like you can take advantage of that.
Quote:
My issue is more than I only find the sound "spot-on" with double or triple flanges with the UM3X.
I can get a good fit with large Shure silicone tips (the round ones) but I seem to lose in detail with single flange. Same with Sony hybrids, Comply T100 and Ts100: good fit but loss in detail.

Seal/fit is perfect with large double/triple flange tips (not the provided ones, they're too small for my ears, I use large Koss triple flange tips) but they make my ear canals itch like crazy after 30min. I think it is due to the shiny black silicone that Koss uses for those tips, I never had a reaction like with any other silicone tip so I'm pretty sure the cause is Koss material and not the insertion depth.

So I'm looking for large double/triple flange tips (one size larger than the provided white triple flange tips) that I could buy within the EU.
I tried some MEElec large double flange tips but they really are low quality (the silicone is too thin and flexible).

Any idea ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #3,763 of 4,413

Quote:
I have no clue as to any triple flanges that are larger than the standard "medium" size. I've tried the Shure and Westone ones, and right now I am using one I bought from eBay, which is also a medium size. Have you tried looking at Sensorcom's offerings? They are based in Europe so if you find something that you might like you can take advantage of that.

Ok thanks, I'll have a look at Sensorcom "special" eartips.
BTW, tips from Shure and Westone are just the same, they now provide roughly the same selection (Comply P, medium white triple flange, S/M/L round grey tips, S/M/L olive foams...). Only differences are the yellow tubular foams (Shure only, and they are from Comply) and the white "ultra-thick" monoflange silicone tips (Westone only).

I just received some Shure SE535 Red Limited Edition, and I was really amazed by the similarity of the IEM casings (I mean the shape, not the materials). The shure nozzle are slightly broader and more angled than on the UM3X, but otherwise, they provide exactly the same fit.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #3,764 of 4,413

Headphones for "reference monitoring" are not boring or wrong. Do you think the musicians on stage are not having fun? :xf_eek:)

Telling about fun, energy is the one who determines who is more fun.

In my assessment, the UM3X is much more fun and lively than the W3 (which I also already have).

The W3 has an artificial soundstage that softens the sound of this headphone. In the other hand, the UM3X adds nothing to the source, unless a little bass/sub-bass. All this creates a more direct and lively sound.

I do not like full-size headphones and I always had the feeling of listening to one when listening the W3. Place in the same pot boomy bass and recessed mids to mean I definitely do not like the W3. I consider it an unbalanced headphone.

The UM3X is another story. For me, this headphone is correct. A revelation. The best example of what can be a balanced armature IEM. And controlled deep bass, revealing mids and sweet and harmless treble are the icing on the cake of a very mature and balanced product.

Six months after purchase I am still impressed with this little champion. The search is over. Until the release of the Westone UM4X... :xf_eek:)

What to expect this hypothetical headphone?

Quote:

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #3,765 of 4,413

Quote:
The search is over. Until the release of the Westone UM4X... :xf_eek:)

Or you can go after the Westone ES3X. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back