Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 27, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #3,721 of 4,413
I have both the W4's and the UM3X's, and have to admit that I am more fond of the UM3X's.  They have a beautiful mid range and great separation, which makes them among my favorites for female vocals.  The W4's are also lighter on bass in my opinion, and sometimes I want more bass for certain types of music.  But for me, the W4's do really shine on jazz and acoustic instrumental music - they are almost unbeatable for iem's for these music types.  And hooked up to a bass boost amp, or eq'd to bring out more bass, they definitely work for me on all types of music.  But when I am looking for an easy un-amped and more emotional listen, I reach for the UM3X's.

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #3,722 of 4,413
After a lot of research, I decided to take the plunge and get the UM3X's by Westone because it seemed like it had the sound signature I was looking for: strong bass, evenly strong mids, slightly softened highs, good separation.  Well, I got my UM3X's today.  Here's a few first impressions from an amateur listener.

Since I'm going to be doing 90% of my listening on the road, I thought I would use my phone so I could see what I was going to get 90% of the time.  All songs were played from my HTC Incredible.  Some are 320kbs, some are 192kbs.  I listen to all kinds of music except rap, however I picked these 3 songs to listen to first on purpose, as I will explain below.

Song 1:  8Bit by Deadmau5 - This is the first song I play every time I try a new pair of headphones.  I use this song first because it's just one of my favorites and I know it the best.  For me, I can tell a lot about the sound signature with this song.  My first impression?  The bass is solid and crisp.  It's not lacking anywhere, but this isn't a huge bass song.  I wait a little longer for the chorus to kick in so I can get a grasp on where the mids stand.  When it does, a smile only comes over my face.  The Mids are normal!  Oh praise Jesus! =D  Coming from the TF10's, this is HUGE.  They're not overshadowed by the treble and bass.  I continue to listen and enjoy the balance when my first moment of shock happens.  At 2:19 in the song, the music cuts out, and for the first time I've ever heard, the music just STOPPED.  I don't know if this is called roll off or not, but in every other IEM I've tried, the music sort of faded away.  In these, the music was suppose to cut out and CUT out it did.  I'm impressed.

Song 2:  Faxing Berlin (Original Mix) by Deadmau5 - I play this song next because this is the most bass heavy song I have.  It's one of my favorites, but I've had problems with it before, especially at the beginning.  With my MEElectronics M6's, the bass is over powering.  It's just too much and my ears can't take it.  With these, not so.  It's strong, it's got punch, but for some reason, it doesn't hurt, it's controlled.  By the time the chorus starts to come in and the bass is lessened, I'm normally starting to feel a headache come on.  Even in my TF10's.  With these, while the bass seemed just as good in every area, it wasn't the case.  And then again, when the chorus came in, the mids were more prominent than I was used to, which was nice. =)

Song 3:  Yellow, by Coldplay - I play this song third because I've had more problems listening to this song than any other.  It was this song that taught me that I was sensitive to sibilance and certain high frequencies.  The constant bashing of cymbals is absolutely brutal to me.  As always with a new pair of headphones, I go into this song scared, because personally, I don't like feeling a shrill pain.  I turn the volume down low and wait for the major whammy to come in like 5 measures in or so and then I realize... hey... I think this might be okay!  I slowly turn the volume up and further amazement follows.  The cymbals don't hurt!  They're kind of annoying, but that's my problem with the song.  This is also where I first noticed the amazing instrument separation that everyone was talking about.  Its so true!  I'm hearing things that I've never heard before!  I may have heard them with my TF10's, but the music is just more appearing with these.

I think the only down side I've found so far is that some higher notes hit by the singers is kind of shrill like the cymbals usually are for me.  But this is far and few between and I expect it to get better over time.  I'm incredibly impressed.  I love the fit.  I know they'll fit under my helmet and not give me any problems.  The separation & clarity is the some of the best I've personally ever heard, the bass is solid, the highs are slightly backed off simply so they don't hurt, and the mids are perfectly balanced with the bass.  I think I'm in love.

With other headphones, I had to focus on how great that particular headphone did a certain particular thing well.  With these I get to focus on my favorite part: the music.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #3,723 of 4,413

Quote:
After a lot of research, I decided to take the plunge and get the UM3X's by Westone because it seemed like it had the sound signature I was looking for: strong bass, evenly strong mids, slightly softened highs, good separation.  Well, I got my UM3X's today.  Here's a few first impressions from an amateur listener.

Since I'm going to be doing 90% of my listening on the road, I thought I would use my phone so I could see what I was going to get 90% of the time.  All songs were played from my HTC Incredible.  Some are 320kbs, some are 192kbs.  I listen to all kinds of music except rap, however I picked these 3 songs to listen to first on purpose, as I will explain below.

Song 1:  8Bit by Deadmau5 - This is the first song I play every time I try a new pair of headphones.  I use this song first because it's just one of my favorites and I know it the best.  For me, I can tell a lot about the sound signature with this song.  My first impression?  The bass is solid and crisp.  It's not lacking anywhere, but this isn't a huge bass song.  I wait a little longer for the chorus to kick in so I can get a grasp on where the mids stand.  When it does, a smile only comes over my face.  The Mids are normal!  Oh praise Jesus! =D  Coming from the TF10's, this is HUGE.  They're not overshadowed by the treble and bass.  I continue to listen and enjoy the balance when my first moment of shock happens.  At 2:19 in the song, the music cuts out, and for the first time I've ever heard, the music just STOPPED.  I don't know if this is called roll off or not, but in every other IEM I've tried, the music sort of faded away.  In these, the music was suppose to cut out and CUT out it did.  I'm impressed.

Song 2:  Faxing Berlin (Original Mix) by Deadmau5 - I play this song next because this is the most bass heavy song I have.  It's one of my favorites, but I've had problems with it before, especially at the beginning.  With my MEElectronics M6's, the bass is over powering.  It's just too much and my ears can't take it.  With these, not so.  It's strong, it's got punch, but for some reason, it doesn't hurt, it's controlled.  By the time the chorus starts to come in and the bass is lessened, I'm normally starting to feel a headache come on.  Even in my TF10's.  With these, while the bass seemed just as good in every area, it wasn't the case.  And then again, when the chorus came in, the mids were more prominent than I was used to, which was nice. =)

Song 3:  Yellow, by Coldplay - I play this song third because I've had more problems listening to this song than any other.  It was this song that taught me that I was sensitive to sibilance and certain high frequencies.  The constant bashing of cymbals is absolutely brutal to me.  As always with a new pair of headphones, I go into this song scared, because personally, I don't like feeling a shrill pain.  I turn the volume down low and wait for the major whammy to come in like 5 measures in or so and then I realize... hey... I think this might be okay!  I slowly turn the volume up and further amazement follows.  The cymbals don't hurt!  They're kind of annoying, but that's my problem with the song.  This is also where I first noticed the amazing instrument separation that everyone was talking about.  Its so true!  I'm hearing things that I've never heard before!  I may have heard them with my TF10's, but the music is just more appearing with these.

I think the only down side I've found so far is that some higher notes hit by the singers is kind of shrill like the cymbals usually are for me.  But this is far and few between and I expect it to get better over time.  I'm incredibly impressed.  I love the fit.  I know they'll fit under my helmet and not give me any problems.  The separation & clarity is the some of the best I've personally ever heard, the bass is solid, the highs are slightly backed off simply so they don't hurt, and the mids are perfectly balanced with the bass.  I think I'm in love.

With other headphones, I had to focus on how great that particular headphone did a certain particular thing well.  With these I get to focus on my favorite part: the music.

if the highs are too bright ( i think you'll adapt ) try the shure olives. It'll tame the treble a bit . Usually not a complaint on these though, if anything most treble heads think they're not bright enough

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #3,724 of 4,413
I got my UM3x RC yesterday, noticing microphonics that I haven't heard of in any other IEM I've tried. Its like a popping noise whenever I walk or move the cable around. I think its coming from where the cable exits from the plastic tube, hitting against it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also the volume control accessory shifts L/R balance as I change the volume What

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #3,725 of 4,413
never had the RC model but my SM3 V2 is similar. You could always cut off the plastic tube over the wire but I wouldn't recommend it. Form it better to the curve of your ear, it'll settle in.  Westone has some of the least microphonic cables in the industry. The connections are tight right ? 

Why use the attenuator? Bypass that sucker if its giving you grief. Only reason I see for those is quick silencing in a pocket-bound touch screen situation. 

Sorry you're having issues, not the norm for these

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3,727 of 4,413

Quote:
I got my UM3x RC yesterday, noticing microphonics that I haven't heard of in any other IEM I've tried. Its like a popping noise whenever I walk or move the cable around. I think its coming from where the cable exits from the plastic tube, hitting against it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also the volume control accessory shifts L/R balance as I change the volume What

Sorry to hear that. I haven't personally experienced the microphonics problem you have with them. I have the RC version too. I'm a bit sensitive to microphonics as I've had them with the RE0s but none at all with the UM3X. the plastic tube in mine is quite fit with the wire so I don't experience problems with the cable hitting the plastic tube hard enough to make an irritating microphonic noise. And I also don't use the volume control accessory so I can't comment on that. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #3,728 of 4,413
@nextmick

Join the club! :)) These are an incredible pair of IEMs :) It's stopped my search for IEMs. I don't think I'll be looking for another pair until these truly break :D The wire is incredible as well. It can take some abuse compared to other IEM wires that easily break. I can afford to be quite careless with these and be confident that it won't break :D and yes, that feeling of hearing things you've never heard before is always a great :D

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #3,729 of 4,413
So I've been trying out different tips these last few days, the ones that were in the westone pack. I like the trimmed (both ends) triflanges the best, it has the clearest sound and deepest bass and don't hurt my ears after long periods...much. Olives are very comfortable but the pair I have is quite old and the inner tube has been stretched to fit on another iem. They dont sound good at all unfortunately.

Should I try to get new olives or other tips?

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #3,730 of 4,413

Quote:
So I've been trying out different tips these last few days, the ones that were in the westone pack. I like the trimmed (both ends) triflanges the best, it has the clearest sound and deepest bass and don't hurt my ears after long periods...much. Olives are very comfortable but the pair I have is quite old and the inner tube has been stretched to fit on another iem. They dont sound good at all unfortunately.

Should I try to get new olives or other tips?

I swear by Comply tips right now. I can wear them 10 hours a day without a problem. Try the olives, and go back and forth for a few months and see what your ears like best. There is no one perfect tip for everyone because our ears are all uniquely shaped and our tolerances are different. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #3,731 of 4,413
I bought the SM3's a while back.  At that time I was trying to decide between the UMX3's and the SM3's.  I went for the SM3's.  Just got my UMX3's today and even though I won't expand on the details, since I don't have enough expertise on the matter, but one thing should say it all:  Of all my IEM's, only the ER4P's have impressed me as much as these ones (not even the SM3's) Definitely very pleased with them.  Also got the Miles Davis Trumpets and are already playing some Jazz on them.   Really good also but that's another topic.  

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #3,733 of 4,413
oh no, what happened? something happened to me like that with my UM2s, but i left it on my table a night and suddenly came back on the next day. Weird.. Try lightly tapping the left side, if you can hear a tingling sound, that means that the drivers are either broken or shifted out of place according to westone. So i sent it back to get it fixed.

Quote:
UGH, my left channel stopped working all of sudden. Sigh.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3,734 of 4,413

Quote:
oh no, what happened? something happened to me like that with my UM2s, but i left it on my table a night and suddenly came back on the next day. Weird.. Try lightly tapping the left side, if you can hear a tingling sound, that means that the drivers are either broken or shifted out of place according to westone. So i sent it back to get it fixed.

I took it off (I only had this for 3 days) and went downstairs for some cake. I came back and the left side stopped working. I bought this from EarphoneSolution but I don't have any sort of "serial number". I got this CD which I didn't open yet, I hope that CD contains serial number and such.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #3,735 of 4,413
oh dont worry then. You have warranty with earphone solutions and westone themselves. Just replace them.

Quote:
I took it off (I only had this for 3 days) and went downstairs for some cake. I came back and the left side stopped working. I bought this from EarphoneSolution but I don't have any sort of "serial number". I got this CD which I didn't open yet, I hope that CD contains serial number and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back