Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 22, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #3,706 of 4,413
I read the whole thread before I purchased mine and I remember there was a time when they had a lot of problems with their QC. Anyway, it was always addressed properly by Westone and they always replaced the product with a new one. Just contact them and have them replace it :)

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #3,707 of 4,413
Yeah that looks like utter ****! I just received my UM3X RC a few days ago and although it's the RC version, it looks solid and pristine - much better in quality that my W4, which I feel uses a thinner plastic. Return that ASAP and get another one :/

Quote:
Looks like a bad one slipped through quality control. I'm sure your authorised dealer will accept a return and send you a replacement.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #3,708 of 4,413
Thanks all for the assurance - I'm a UM1 user, and imagine the shock when I saw this..

Anyway, on a sidenote, do you think its worth it to get the RC version? I don't mind paying slightly extra for this, but have heard that there tend to be connectivity issues with the cables.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #3,709 of 4,413
no idea where you heard it from, but I have not had a single problem dealing with the connectivity of the cables. As long that you're not pulling the pins in and out that often, they last just as long as usual non RC.

Quote:
Thanks all for the assurance - I'm a UM1 user, and imagine the shock when I saw this..

Anyway, on a sidenote, do you think its worth it to get the RC version? I don't mind paying slightly extra for this, but have heard that there tend to be connectivity issues with the cables.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #3,710 of 4,413
For those who claim that the SM3s have better instrumental separation than the UM3X are wrong, in my opinion. The UM3Xs have the clearest instrument separation of all the IEMs I have tried, and as such, they are moderately cold and highly analytical. In any case, the SM3s definitely have a wider soundstage than the UM3Xs, but definitely do not have the same level of instrumental separation.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #3,711 of 4,413

Quote:
For those who claim that the SM3s have better instrumental separation than the UM3X are wrong, in my opinion. The UM3Xs have the clearest instrument separation of all the IEMs I have tried, and as such, they are moderately cold and highly analytical. In any case, the SM3s definitely have a wider soundstage than the UM3Xs, but definitely do not have the same level of instrumental separation.

I completely 100% agree.  Those who make those claims have either not tested both side-by-side or do not have the ears to make that determination.  They are in the same league in regards to quality, but they carry very different sound signatures.  I'm amazed at how many people keep drawing comparisons between them.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #3,712 of 4,413
If you check the impedance curve of the UM3x (http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&page=7&document_srl=1678) you'll realize that no other iem peaks at 110 Ohm of impedance at the 1K region. And the more impedance the more stereo separation. It's no wonder that no other iem can yield better separation.

It's a musician monitor thus it's not a surprise.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #3,713 of 4,413
no wonder... um3x does have the best instrumental separation

Quote:
If you check the impedance curve of the UM3x (http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&page=7&document_srl=1678) you'll realize that no other iem peaks at 110 Ohm of impedance at the 1K region. And the more impedance the more stereo separation. It's no wonder that no other iem can yield better separation.

It's a musician monitor thus it's not a surprise.

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #3,715 of 4,413

Quote:
Hey headfi. I just received my um3x and  was just wondering if its normal to have slight scratches on the um3x nozzel. They are small and i was just curious. Thanks!

Yeah I have some on mine where the nozzle meets the base - but I wouldn't call them scratches. It was bought brand new from earphonesolutions - I just assumed it was due to the hand made nature of this particular model, especially given the way the marks swirl around the base. It's more apparent on my left piece than it is on my right, but it's only very slight, and doesn't look bad or anything.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #3,718 of 4,413

Quote:
What is the general consensus of UM3x vs Westone 4? There is not much difference in price with the black friday sale on.

No one can tell you which is better - I know I can't, and I have both. It purely comes down to preference. 

If you had to choose ONE for all your music needs, I would go with the W4, as it is generally satisfying, unless you absolutely only listen to female vocals, in which case you should get the UM3X.

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #3,719 of 4,413

Quote:
What is the general consensus of UM3x vs Westone 4? There is not much difference in price with the black friday sale on.

Haven't heard the W4, I know from W3 the fit was not for me. UM3x one of my favorites and it's serviceable outside of warranty. W4 has reputation for being slightly less sensitive too. All things equal I'd go for the UM3x. W series is prettier but the isolation/fit of the UM series is better in my ears. Pair them with olives and its Ety level.

I think the UM3 has the reputation for being warmer. W4 a little clinical. If you buy from a merchant with good exchange policy you could try both ! But unheard gambling I'd get the UM3

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #3,720 of 4,413
I'm seriously in love with my UM3X RCs so far, coming from the B&W C5 it's a huge difference in quality...probably moreso than coming from stock iPhone buds to the C5 was.

I saw this comment on a Facebook thread on Westone's FB page:  "EPIC MICS cables available mid to late December."

Then I will be complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back