Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 24, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3,691 of 4,413

Ah, that sounds like it'd be a bitch. I do love the W4 cable. So comfortable. 

Quote:
Probably more comfort than anything else.  The Westone's in particular already have heavy duty longated strain releifs coming off the housing that naturally flow back behind your ears.  The RC version goes upwards, then you need to work the memory wire then back behind your ears so it is not quite as comfortable IMHO.  In addition, if you wrap or tuck the IEM's away when going from place to place, the memory wire tends to lose memory which causes the need for a re-adjustment every time you pull them out.

Given a 2-year warranty, I will always prefer built in fixed cables

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #3,693 of 4,413
I have had these for about 5 months now, and I love how they sound and the great isolation they offer. 

I'm curious out custom tips. Who has them? Do they make a difference in sound quality/isolation? How much did it cost? 
any reply would be greatly appreciated. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #3,694 of 4,413
yeah i want to know as well but I heard they are extremely fragile since they break really easily. That was the reason why kept me from doing the custom tips.

Quote:
I have had these for about 5 months now, and I love how they sound and the great isolation they offer. 

I'm curious out custom tips. Who has them? Do they make a difference in sound quality/isolation? How much did it cost? 
any reply would be greatly appreciated. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #3,695 of 4,413

Quote:
yeah i want to know as well but I heard they are extremely fragile since they break really easily. That was the reason why kept me from doing the custom tips. 

Custom tips are delicate and break easily? I can't see how if they're made from silicone.

I got custom sleeves for my UM3x from ACS (whos sadly no longer make sleeves for westone earphones) and they've been absolutely brilliant. I think the secret of getting the most out of BA earphones is having a good seal and custome tips/sleeves should provide a great seal if they've been done properly.

The bass is on my UM3x is deeper and tighter with custom sleeves ... plus I don't have the hassle of buying new foamies every few months. If you can find somewhere who can make custom tips/sleeves for the UM3x I say go for it!

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3,696 of 4,413
What is the cheapest you can get custom tips from Westone for? It says MSRP $154.00 for silicone tips, but I'm guessing you can get them for half of that or so? Guessing around $20-40 for impressions from an audiologist as well.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #3,698 of 4,413
Yesterday I tried for the first time to put Shure Olives tips instead of Comply tips that came with UM3X. It was a revelation folks :) I got totally different, absolutely stunning sound comparing to how they sounded with Complys. I would strongly suggest to at least try olives. As usualy, YMMV.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #3,703 of 4,413
Just wanted to check with you guys on the build quality of UM3Xes:

I just received mine in the mail, and to my utmost horror, the build quality is really bad. The seal between the plastic tube and the IEM body is poorly joined, with glue remnants and stuck flint(!) slathered all over. IMHO, can't believe this this a $300+ product - even an $50 China-made IEM looks better than this.

Have bought this from an authorized dealer, so don't think the purchase source is the culprit. Has anyone encountered this problem? My item was QCed in June-11.

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #3,704 of 4,413
hey there, im pretty sure you just received a rare one, the quality of um3x definitely does not look like that. Quality is solid and top notch on my um3x. Maybe request for an exchange...

Quote:
Just wanted to check with you guys on the build quality of UM3Xes:

I just received mine in the mail, and to my utmost horror, the build quality is really bad. The seal between the plastic tube and the IEM body is poorly joined, with glue remnants and stuck flint(!) slathered all over. IMHO, can't believe this this a $300+ product - even an $50 China-made IEM looks better than this.

Have bought this from an authorized dealer, so don't think the purchase source is the culprit. Has anyone encountered this problem? My item was QCed in June-11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back