Westone UM3X Thread
May 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #3,571 of 4,413
Quote:
Hmmm, don't know about that, my UM3X just died on me over the weekend. They were fine when I was listening to them on Saturday, then I put them inside a small pouch with my iPod; when I put them on the next day, the left channel is dead. This is the second time that happened since I got them brand new in July last year. I had them replaced by the distributor back in Feb this year, which took nearly 2 months! Have to get them replaced again so soon!
mad.gif

Anybody here has similar experience? I've been using my UM2 everyday for over 3 years and never had any problem with them (apart from a minor cable problem) nor my Westone 4, which I use every night since Feb; I thought unlike the Westone series which are made in China, the UM series are supposed to be made in the US. Or am I just extremely unlucky? :-?

This is exactly what happened to me today! I had the right one replaced because of the manufacturing issues they had with the early models last year and today when I was about to take the bus and fired them up the right one was completely dead. I tried switching the cables but it's still dead, so it's not the cable. REALLY annoying. I need them when travelling to and from university on the loud f* bus. Is this something that is covered by the warranty? Or would it cost me a lot to get the bad one fixed? They are not even one year old.....

May 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #3,572 of 4,413

Quote:
,,. Is this something that is covered by the warranty? Or would it cost me a lot to get the bad one fixed? They are not even one year old.....

Mine came with a two year warranty from Earphone Solutions and I believe that is also the factory warranty.
Repair info from the Westone website:

Quote:
Variphone
• All of Europe
Please contact Variphone Benelux, Phone: +32-11668120, Email: info@variphone.com or visit their website: www.variphone.com 

May 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #3,573 of 4,413
Yes, definitely covered by the warranty especially you got yours less than a year ago. They replaced mine twice, no question asked, drivers and cables. Good luck. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

This is exactly what happened to me today! I had the right one replaced because of the manufacturing issues they had with the early models last year and today when I was about to take the bus and fired them up the right one was completely dead. I tried switching the cables but it's still dead, so it's not the cable. REALLY annoying. I need them when travelling to and from university on the loud f* bus. Is this something that is covered by the warranty? Or would it cost me a lot to get the bad one fixed? They are not even one year old.....

May 25, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3,574 of 4,413

F&$k bus?  That sounds like a ton of fun actually.  I would want to hear everything personally!

Quote:
Quote:

May 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #3,575 of 4,413
Update: Tried the gray silicone tips from Westone's fit kit, and they really help the high-end response. Not to mention they're easy to use, comfortable, and durable (don't need to be replaced like Complys).

May 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #3,577 of 4,413

Quote:
Alway wanted to try that, never did, went to customs instead as the isolation from the olives was needed. I always suspected the treble was affected though. Darn!

Well, actually the difference isn't that dramatic (probably nothing more than placebo 
smily_headphones1.gif
). It could also be just the fact that I'm getting a more consistent seal than I was with the small Comply P-series foamies. I bought my UM3X used, and those were the only tips it came with.

May 30, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #3,578 of 4,413
I would also argue that if you think your highs are affected with the foam tips then your tips aren't inserted deep enough.  I currently use the long skinny Comply's and the sound was dramatic coming from the regular medium T-100's. 

It's all a matter of seal, and i'd wager that for most people they think they nozzle is deep enough, but it really isn't.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #3,579 of 4,413
Hey all. I just got my UM3X today. Really happy with it. But would like to check with you guys what the best EQ for these iems are. I know people have different preferences but what would you recommend. Taking into consideration where these iems are lacking etc. Would setting EQ to flat be good enough for all genres? Does flat mean im hearing what the producer wants me to hear? Thanks!

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #3,585 of 4,413

Quote:
I would also argue that if you think your highs are affected with the foam tips then your tips aren't inserted deep enough.  I currently use the long skinny Comply's and the sound was dramatic coming from the regular medium T-100's. 

It's all a matter of seal, and i'd wager that for most people they think they nozzle is deep enough, but it really isn't.

I don't think the dark gray mushroom tips sound the same as the large, long Comply tips.  The isolation seems to be about the same with either tip, judging from how well I can hear external sounds with the music off.  That leads me to think the seal is ok, but not necessarily the depth inside the ear canal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back