Westone UM3X Thread
Dec 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #3,421 of 4,413
The Right channel of my UM3X suddenly went dead with no apparent reason so I took them back to the dealer yesterday to have them sent back for repair. While I was there, got tempted and bought the Monster Turbine Pro copper, I was truly surprised, similar sound signature as the UM3X but with better and more extended bass right out of the box. The cons are that they are not so comfortable in the ears, not so good sound isolation and they look like Barbie's jewelries.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #3,422 of 4,413

The Right channel of my UM3X suddenly went dead with no apparent reason so I took them back to the dealer yesterday to have them sent back for repair. While I was there, got tempted and bought the Monster Turbine Pro copper, I was truly surprised, similar sound signature as the UM3X but with better and more extended bass right out of the box. The cons are that they are not so comfortable in the ears, not so good sound isolation and they look like Barbie's jewelries.

Oh wow that sucks man, sorry to hear that; however, that's great concerning the purchase of the Coppers.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #3,423 of 4,413
Thanks but it's fine because they are still under warranty, but I did not have any problem with my UM2s for over 2 years and I've only had the UM3Xs since July, which is quite odd or maybe I'm just unlucky.
Something I noticed since I've been using the UM2s now while waiting for the UM3Xs to be sent back. The UM2s seem to have more bass response that my UM3Xs, and I think it's because of the shape and size of my ears, I cannot get the UM3Xs as far inside my ear canals as the UM2s. I supposed that's how we all hear IEMs differently. :-S

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #3,424 of 4,413
I also really enjoy my UM3x, after did a huge upgrade from Playaz to UM3x. At the beginning, I felt that UM3x was way too smooth, to polite in everything. But they are very very comfortable, especially with the original long comply tips.(but I felt something is missing, somehow lack of treble)
I upgraded to Shure Comply, and feel then they are really make the treble tighter, and the music sounds more fun with it :)

For my opinion: Sound signature for UM3x is dark, and the vocal is sometimes too straight forward, Instrument separation is perfect. Guitars sound very good almost perfect :)

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #3,427 of 4,413
I agreed, but the UM2s are supposed to be monitors too, so I would have thought that they should have the same sound signature as the UM3Xs. 

Quote:
Tips, Tips, Tips its all about tips, if you can get a good tight fit you will get bass on the UM3x. But realize these are monitors they are intended for clarity.

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #3,428 of 4,413

Tips, Tips, Tips its all about tips, if you can get a good tight fit you will get bass on the UM3x. But realize these are monitors they are intended for clarity.

Yea... But just to throw this in, the UM3Xs are pretty bassy; a little more bassy than natural. The details and midrange are excellent and, don't get me wrong, I LOVE the bass on the phones and it doesn't bleed into the midrange, but it is more than natural.

I found the best overall, balanced sound with those when usug the included silicon tips. Great bass, amazing detail and clarity, and great midrange.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #3,429 of 4,413
Hi guys, what do you think about adding another TWFK driver to get a UM5X?

I'm looking all the options possible, remould, remould +1 driver, +2, 3... I would appreciate any suggest or opinion about the question

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english xD

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #3,431 of 4,413
You are aware of the W4 right? lol. Um3x sounds more 'more' to me. has the full string range that the UM2 didn't have. Better extension into the bass and treble regions. I played a TV soundtrack back to back with UM2 and UM3x and was wowed by the '3'. More realistic representation. UM2 is still great though

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #3,432 of 4,413
Danz03-

Wow, never had a problem with any of my Westones other than cord stiffening (not 'failure' just stiff), due to my crappy body chemistry. I crystalize cables like there's no tomorrow, that's how I got involved in all of this anyhow! 

Good luck with the new pair, I'm sure they'll take care of you

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #3,433 of 4,413

Quote:
From what I understand, the UM3X and W3 can't have additional drivers added to them because of the three-way crossover technology that is used. Here is someone from Westone describing how it works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXjCodzFI9Y

It's possible, but needs to change the crossover. I have talked with Stephen from UM USA and he said me that adding another TWFK the UM3X doesn't sound well. So, I figure I will go for the UM6X after Christmas.

Quote:
You are aware of the W4 right? lol. Um3x sounds more 'more' to me. has the full string range that the UM2 didn't have. Better extension into the bass and treble regions. I played a TV soundtrack back to back with UM2 and UM3x and was wowed by the '3'. More realistic representation. UM2 is still great though

Yes xD but I'm a little bit impatient hahaha

The main reason is that I want to try the sound of a Custom IEM and I´m looking different options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back