Westone UM3X Thread
Dec 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #3,438 of 4,413
I have the UM3X (westone), and their sound is awesome. But I would like to try the sound of a custom IEM, and having to remold the UM3Xs, why not to add another 3? xD

I know that "more not means better", but I have readed that the UM3X +3 drivers sounds very very well.

Please if I do any grammatical mistake, correct me, because I'm trying to improve my english. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #3,439 of 4,413

Quote:
I have the UM3X (westone), and their sound is awesome. But I would like to try the sound of a custom IEM, and having to remold the UM3Xs, why not to add another 3? xD

I know that "more not means better", but I have readed that the UM3X +3 drivers sounds very very well.

Please if I do any grammatical mistake, correct me, because I'm trying to improve my english. 

I surly wont take risk of dismantling UM3X and put it into unknown guys hand for adding up 3 drivers. Simple rule for me, it takes a lot of skill to fine tune sound during remoulding and this is no way back if something goes wrong. Also, it is no guarantee you like the sound after all, what you have read it is not always true.

For me, it doesn't not worth the trouble to make my universal to custom UNLESS you have a fit problem with it. You better off saving up a for real custom like JH16 pro

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #3,441 of 4,413

If I'm not mistaken, Westone themselves sell this custom tip maker that let's you create custom tips from the mold to attach to the IEMs, giving you the custom fit without fully changing the custom monitors.

If you don't want to go all out or send your IEMs away, this is a good route to take. From what I have read, the people that do this have mostly, if not all, positive results.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #3,443 of 4,413

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, Westone themselves sell this custom tip maker that let's you create custom tips from the mold to attach to the IEMs, giving you the custom fit without fully changing the custom monitors. If you don't want to go all out or send your IEMs away, this is a good route to take. From what I have read, the people that do this have mostly, if not all, positive results.

Yes, the sleeves are the UM56, but the price is almost the same that remoulding the UM3X via Unique Melody, at least in Europe.

Quote:
comfort was one of the key reason why i bought the UM3X..

I never though that those type of monitors were so confortable. Practically the only thing that you feel from the IEM are the sleeves, and I have a small ears.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #3,444 of 4,413
@Enigma: Wow really? Well that sucks. I didn't know they cost that much; however I always thought it was a good alternative because you're able to still sell the IEMs down the road if you want to help fund for something else. The tips will also be transferrrable to other IEMs say, if you have the Westone 3s and the UM3Xs at the same time.

@Cunning: Yea they were, and still are, the most comfortable IEMs I have ever had. Incredibly comfortable, small, very light with a light and soft cable.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3,445 of 4,413
Uh oh... My first audiophile purchase of 2011 were these. Got them earlier before sleeping. My wallet hates me.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #3,447 of 4,413
Anyone put a detailed review/report on um3x with headstage arrow? Anyone kind enough to link me to it? Thx! 

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #3,448 of 4,413
I know I'm posting this in the UM3x forum hence there will be a little bias, though I want to ask.

What made you guys choose the UM3x over the SM3?

Thanks! any advice/suggestions would be great as one of these 2 IEM's will be my only purchase for the next 6 months! :O

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3,449 of 4,413
Quote:
I know I'm posting this in the UM3x forum hence there will be a little bias, though I want to ask.

Thanks! any advice/suggestions would be great as one of these 2 IEM's will be my only purchase for the next 6 months! :O

UM3X would be a better choice for those looking for a dryer, more analytical presentation. SM3 sounds smoother and also has a bit more presence in the treble (I personally find UM3X a bit lacking in treble presence), but SM3 is not as good for analyzing music because it is a bit less focused on detail and more on overall musical presentation. UM3X will give you lots of details and superb separation, but are not quite as warm and sound more closed in and focused with less emotional impact. Personally, I think that technically they are on about the same level, but SM3 was engineered more for music listening (I mean for pleasure), whereas UM3X was made primarily for professional applications IMO. It's not that SM3 covers up any detail compared to UM3X, but that the dryer sound of UM3X makes details more apparent and easier to pick out. That being said, I found that I had a hard time actually enjoying music with UM3X - I always felt like I was picking apart the recording rather than listening to music as a whole. SM3 on the other hand, strikes a better balance between fun and analytical presentation in my opinion, being able to sound both pleasantly coherent and emotional and at the same time quite flat and uncolored and full of detail hearing which just takes a bit more effort than with UM3X. Thus, I personally prefer SM3.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #3,450 of 4,413

Quote:
Quote:

UM3X would be a better choice for those looking for a dryer, more analytical presentation. SM3 sounds smoother and also has a bit more presence in the treble (I personally find UM3X a bit lacking in treble presence), but SM3 is not as good for analyzing music because it is a bit less focused on detail and more on overall musical presentation. UM3X will give you lots of details and superb separation, but are not quite as warm and sound more closed in and focused with less emotional impact. Personally, I think that technically they are on about the same level, but SM3 was engineered more for music listening (I mean for pleasure), whereas UM3X was made primarily for professional applications IMO. It's not that SM3 covers up any detail compared to UM3X, but that the dryer sound of UM3X makes details more apparent and easier to pick out. That being said, I found that I had a hard time actually enjoying music with UM3X - I always felt like I was picking apart the recording rather than listening to music as a whole. SM3 on the other hand, strikes a better balance between fun and analytical presentation in my opinion, being able to sound both pleasantly coherent and emotional and at the same time quite flat and uncolored and full of detail hearing which just takes a bit more effort than with UM3X. Thus, I personally prefer SM3.

Man thanks so much your reply was perfect, Okay I've decided the SM3's it is! I'm no audiophile though hopefully these will open my "ears" to a new type of sound. I won't be mixing or recording. 100% just music listening, hopefully these will be my last purchase for a while :) thanks pianist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back