Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #3,406 of 4,413

I would love to get both and compare however my student budget in no way allows that. I know that custom monitors can't be returned and as a result I am taking a bit of a leap of faith here however I really do trust Jerry Harvey and his products. It seems to be that many, many people are extremely happy with customs from him so I figure for just a slight amount more than some universals I can try customs. Worst case if it turns out poorly I will call it quits on customs for a long, long time and just stick to maybe 1 nice pair of universals and be quite content with that.

I have a good feeling I will like them as well 
biggrin.gif

ah, pk. Well I'm sure you have read the reviews around here right? I'm sure a review that directly compared the customs to some top tier universal iem would be really helpful and give you a basis of comparison or something like that.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #3,407 of 4,413
Yes, but I still think that the safest bet is to listen to them yourself before buying. I'm quite disappointed by the UE18 Pros personally and they've got nothing but good reviews, although not that many in total. However, the JH 13s seem to be well liked by all of their owners, I should have gotten them instead.

Quote:
ah, pk. Well I'm sure you have read the reviews around here right? I'm sure a review that directly compared the customs to some top tier universal iem would be really helpful and give you a basis of comparison or something like that.

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #3,408 of 4,413
I bought a Westone UM3X with removable cables from Westone.  But I sold it already!! It was a disappointment to me, the sound in my opinion was not like the real recording... The vocals were much further forward that I could not appreciate the IEM, just does not sound natural. Some songs seemed smothered it with a pillow! The UM3X did not worked for me =/ I used with my Iphone 4 and my Nuforce uDac, tried to use the Null Audio Lune Cable, but the result was not good. I did like the Bass and the Treble! =) But I'll continue using my Triple.fi... Like it more. I know a lot of people love the UM3X, but I did not!

Chears,
   Rodrigo

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #3,409 of 4,413

Quote:

I did all the reading I could regarding the JH5's and universals as well as talking to a few different members who have had a number of top tier iem's before getting their customs. I have also read through the entire JH5 appreciation thread and from all of this the general consensus seemed to be very positive. The impressions ranged from noticeably better than universals to HOLY S$!@ I sold all my universals after getting these. In other words they were pretty well liked by those that got them and got a good fit. 

I figured that all the research painted them in a great light and I figured that I would take the "plunge" so to speak. I will be ordering them in the next week and I have my appointment tomorrow for impressions. 

I'll be posting in the JH5 appreciation thread following my impressions and possibly be writing up a view comparing them to as many of the universals I have had that I can give an accurate description of still. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #3,410 of 4,413

I did all the reading I could regarding the JH5's and universals as well as talking to a few different members who have had a number of top tier iem's before getting their customs. I have also read through the entire JH5 appreciation thread and from all of this the general consensus seemed to be very positive. The impressions ranged from noticeably better than universals to HOLY S$!@ I sold all my universals after getting these. In other words they were pretty well liked by those that got them and got a good fit. 

I figured that all the research painted them in a great light and I figured that I would take the "plunge" so to speak. I will be ordering them in the next week and I have my appointment tomorrow for impressions. 

I'll be posting in the JH5 appreciation thread following my impressions and possibly be writing up a view comparing them to as many of the universals I have had that I can give an accurate description of still. 

Ah ok, that's good; I hope you like them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #3,411 of 4,413
Thanks Young Spade, I figure it should turn out pretty good, emailing with Jerry a bit has helped boost my confidence in him and his products as well, really seems like he will not accept a customer being unhappy with one of his customs. Seems to be ultra committed and fully believes in his stuff. Can't wait to get the impressions tomorrow and then start the ordering process 
biggrin.gif

Who knows, if they really turn out to be everything they are cracked up to be my CK10's might just be hitting the sale section...rawrster already joked about wanting a pair...if I can bring myself to part with them that is 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #3,412 of 4,413
Haha yea man, I always wanted customs but now since I'm in college, actually getting to a place and finding one for that matter that does god impressions at a good price is going to be a problem since I don't have my car with me. 

I'll probably go for some when I get into my early twenties so I know my ears won't grow on me lol; of course you can always remold but who likes sending stuff in the mail? lol 

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #3,413 of 4,413
The CK10 is the only universal I would consider purchasing again but I don't use universals very often anymore except when I plan to write a review. In a practical sense RE262 should be all I need and I have plenty more but how many of us are really that practical with all our earphones and headphones.

I think you should buy it, review it and compare it to things I'm familiar with so I can get a better sense of things.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #3,414 of 4,413

Quote:
Haha yea man, I always wanted customs but now since I'm in college, actually getting to a place and finding one for that matter that does god impressions at a good price is going to be a problem since I don't have my car with me. 

I'll probably go for some when I get into my early twenties so I know my ears won't grow on me lol; of course you can always remold but who likes sending stuff in the mail? lol 

I was in almost the exact same boat with trying to find a place that does impressions that was close by. I'm a college kid too and my transport is a bicycle and the local bus so that sort of limits where I can go. Luckily I live in Madison WI which is a decent sized city and has a disproportionately huge amount of health services, hospitals and clinics. After spending about 3 hours calling ever audiologist and place I could find I finally found one that is actually a Westone approved place that makes hearing aids and Musicians Monitors. They were willing to do the impressions at a pretty fair price, $25 an ear. This price I consider fair seeing as how the other price quotes I was getting were $30 an ear, $50 an ear and $98 an ear!!! 
eek.gif
  If you ever get the bug Young Spade try the Yellow Pages for Audiologists and just start calling, it pays to shop around too.

Quote:
The CK10 is the only universal I would consider purchasing again but I don't use universals very often anymore except when I plan to write a review. In a practical sense RE262 should be all I need and I have plenty more but how many of us are really that practical with all our earphones and headphones.

I think you should buy it, review it and compare it to things I'm familiar with so I can get a better sense of things.

I plan on ordering the JH5's this weekend/coming week assuming that my bank get off its collective rump and transfers the funding. I can and probably will do a pretty big write up/comparison on them once I get them. The comparison will without question include the CK10's but aside from that I'm not sure how many other universals I will compare it too. Probably the MTPC's, UM3X's, Triple Fi's and W3's assuming that I feel , once I start writing, that I can still accurately remember and vocalize the sounds of each IEM.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #3,415 of 4,413
Wow! You sold them pretty fast. I remember completely not liking my SE530s when I first got them, they sounded dull and unappealing in general, but after a month, I ended up loving them, not sure if it was because I just got used to the sound signature or it actually changed after burning-in. But if you love your Triple-fi, you should stick with them because they are good IEMs.

Quote:
I bought a Westone UM3X with removable cables from Westone.  But I sold it already!! It was a disappointment to me, the sound in my opinion was not like the real recording... The vocals were much further forward that I could not appreciate the IEM, just does not sound natural. Some songs seemed smothered it with a pillow! The UM3X did not worked for me =/ I used with my Iphone 4 and my Nuforce uDac, tried to use the Null Audio Lune Cable, but the result was not good. I did like the Bass and the Treble! =) But I'll continue using my Triple.fi... Like it more. I know a lot of people love the UM3X, but I did not!

Chears,
   Rodrigo

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #3,416 of 4,413

Wow! You sold them pretty fast. I remember completely not liking my SE530s when I first got them, they sounded dull and unappealing in general, but after a month, I ended up loving them, not sure if it was because I just got used to the sound signature or it actually changed after burning-in. But if you love your Triple-fi, you should stick with them because they are good IEMs.

Yea same here; I thought they sounded muffled and cloudy, lean bass and an over pronounced treble. However after maybe a week or so in was completely in love with them. I was coning from some amped k702s so in was a little treble happy at that time lol

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #3,417 of 4,413
OK... now I'm confused.
From reading your description "...muffled and cloudy... and an over pronounced treble.", these sound contradictory. So... can you elaborate?

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #3,419 of 4,413
Ah... danke.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back