Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 27, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #3,376 of 4,413

Quote:
Nope. The worse you could do is put pressure on the tip nossils by having them push into your ears... but since they are so flush and you're sleeping on a pillow you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you have it so the volume stays low or the player cuts off after a while because it isn't really good for your ears :/

I usually listen to music at the lowest level of my iPod, so it shouldn't be too bad. I was also thinking about just putting them in my ears and connecting them to my phone so I could still hear the alarm in the morning.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #3,377 of 4,413
Ah ok, well you should be good to go then
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #3,378 of 4,413
Thought I'd make my first post in this thread.

Had my UM3x's for almost a week now and loving them, I've had lots of different iem's over the years and with these think I have found my ideal iem.  First time I've tried a Westone, mainly down to reading through this thread so thanks to all who gave impressions etc.

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #3,380 of 4,413
Wow I just joined this club and wow these are sensitive.... I hear a hiss on my ZuneHD which I did not notice before on my IE7s.

And the hiss from my HP Envy 14 got even louder! Btw Beats audio = totally marketing BS.

Anyways I thought that the sensitivity is about the same as the IE7/8 but double the impedence. What gives with the louder hiss? Good thing it came with the volume control or else I'd be very annoyed. 

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #3,381 of 4,413
I've had my UM3Xs for about 2 weeks now and they sound great. The only flaw I have with them is the soundstage. I have them paired to an iPod Touch 4G 64gb right now. Is there anyway I can improve the soundstage?

The UM3X sounds amazing with Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Dire Straits, and Gorillaz. However, for some of my instrumental music, Theolonious Monk, Miles Davis, and all my London Philharmonic recordings sound too close. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #3,382 of 4,413

Quote:
I've had my UM3Xs for about 2 weeks now and they sound great. The only flaw I have with them is the soundstage. I have them paired to an iPod Touch 4G 64gb right now. Is there anyway I can improve the soundstage?

The UM3X sounds amazing with Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Dire Straits, and Gorillaz. However, for some of my instrumental music, Theolonious Monk, Miles Davis, and all my London Philharmonic recordings sound too close. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The UM3X are a more upfront sounding IEM, but not too close for me with my 5G Nano > Pico Slim.  You could try a variety of tips, amps and sources (borrow if need be) and see if they change the stage some for you.  They are nice and wide and spacious, but it wont sound as deep as the W2/W3, or IE8 universal fit.

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #3,383 of 4,413
I exactly agree with you, the soundstage problem makes it not perfect for me sometimes.

Quote:

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #3,384 of 4,413
How many people are rocking the UM3X's direct from there iPhone or iPod?  At first when I connected it to my MacBook, I thought it sounded much better (apart from the hissing).  Now I'm not quite certain.  I tend not to exceed 4 volume 'squares' on the iPhone, so I listen to music at a rather low level so perhaps it was just the volume
tongue.gif

I'm getting ACS custom sleeves made for these in a few weeks!

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #3,385 of 4,413
I'm running the UM3X directly from both the Ipod Classic and Iphone 4G.  To my ear, the Iphone 4G has a much better 3D imaging than the Ipod Classic.  Too bad it doesn't store 240Gb.

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #3,386 of 4,413
I'll be getting my new UM3X until saturday 
smile_phones.gif
  And I'll be running it from my Iphone 4 ! I hope to get the same impression as IpodHappy =P

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #3,387 of 4,413
Ok my first impression about the um3x: I have had them for 14 months. They have never sounded this fantastic using shure olives( inserting them in the opposite direction) as someone pointed out earlier. (Thank him by the way) First thing I felt was as if I have upgraded to customs(jh13 which I have never tried) The improvement was mostly on the soundstage which has enormously expanded and the treble became much more present, crispier and clearer and lastly the comfort wearing the tips this way makes them ultra-comfortable. Thanks Head-fi...

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #3,388 of 4,413

Quote:
Ok my first impression about the um3x: I have had them for 14 months. They have never sounded this fantastic using shure olives( inserting them in the opposite direction) as someone pointed out earlier. (Thank him by the way) First thing I felt was as if I have upgraded to customs(jh13 which I have never tried) The improvement was mostly on the soundstage which has enormously expanded and the treble became much more present, crispier and clearer and lastly the comfort wearing the tips this way makes them ultra-comfortable. Thanks Head-fi...

Hi Murat!

I know you aldeary said "inserting them in the opposite direction", but could you take a picture for us? =) Thank You

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #3,389 of 4,413

The UM3X are a more upfront sounding IEM, but not too close for me with my 5G Nano > Pico Slim.  You could try a variety of tips, amps and sources (borrow if need be) and see if they change the stage some for you.  They are nice and wide and spacious, but it wont sound as deep as the W2/W3, or IE8 universal fit.

Do you think that the Headstage Arrow will improve the sound? I'm thinking of trying amps to help the soundstage. I've landed on the olives as the best overall tips, for comfort and sound quality. I only have the Shure fit kit from my old SE530s.

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #3,390 of 4,413

Quote:
Do you think that the Headstage Arrow will improve the sound? I'm thinking of trying amps to help the soundstage. I've landed on the olives as the best overall tips, for comfort and sound quality. I only have the Shure fit kit from my old SE530s.

Most amps will improve the soundstage to some degree over my iPhone 4 headphone out, but it depends on how good your source and headphone jack are already, as well as the quality of your recordings.  My Nuforce Icon does not help, but my Pico Slim definitely adds more depth and width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back