Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #3,346 of 4,413
^Nppe, it depends on your source and the amp used, along with the files. With my old setup (sflo2 / ALO RX / um3x) I got no hiss at all. You should do some more reading man. The amp just amps what's given to it; the better the amp, the more power and trueness to the sound you're going to get from it. I'f the amp is good and doesn't hiss, you shouldn't get any if the DAP doesn't either.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #3,347 of 4,413
Hi Young Spade ,

I have a Triple.fi PRO 10 with Null Audio Lune Cable paired with an Iphone 4 or Nuforce uDac on my computer, and I love it, they have a clean sound, very nice soud stage, good bass and good mids (could be better), but the best IEM i've had! I want to buy a Westone UM3X, but I had a Westone 3 and did not liked it bc the [size=11pt]huge mid bass hump and overall harsh/fatiguing sound, whether the mid bass is overshadowing the midrange for my ears . So do you think the UM3X would be a nice choice for me, or its better save my money, don't buy an UM3X and get an ALO RX for the Triple and Iphonen 4? And could the lune cable fit the UM3X? Thank You[/size]

[size=11pt]   Rodrigo[/size]

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #3,348 of 4,413

Quote:
Hi Young Spade ,

I have a Triple.fi PRO 10 with Null Audio Lune Cable paired with an Iphone 4 or Nuforce uDac on my computer, and I love it, they have a clean sound, very nice soud stage, good bass and good mids (could be better), but the better IEM i've had! I want to buy a Westone UM3X, but I had a Westone 3 and did not liked it bc the [size=11pt]huge mid bass hump and overall harsh/fatiguing sound, whether the mid bass is overshadowing the midrange for my ears . So do you think the UM3X would be a nice choice for me, or its better save my money, don't buy an UM3X and get an ALO RX for the Triple and Iphonen 4? And could the lune cable fit the UM3X? Thank You[/size]

The UM3X sounds fairly different from the W3, and the things that you mentioned you didn't like before wont be a problem with UM3X.  I like the UM3X so much better than my TF10Pro that I don't need an amp to fix their sound like I do with the TF10Pro.

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #3,349 of 4,413

Quote:
The UM3X sounds fairly different from the W3, and the things that you mentioned you didn't like before wont be a problem with UM3X.  I like the UM3X so much better than my TF10Pro that I don't need an amp to fix their sound like I do with the TF10Pro.

So which source are you using and I suppose you are not using an amp with the UM3X?

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #3,350 of 4,413
Thank You HeadphoneAddict !

I'll buy the UM3X, and when I get it, I'll tell you what I think about the sound!
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #3,351 of 4,413

Hi Young Spade ,

I have a Triple.fi PRO 10 with Null Audio Lune Cable paired with an Iphone 4 or Nuforce uDac on my computer, and I love it, they have a clean sound, very nice soud stage, good bass and good mids (could be better), but the best IEM i've had! I want to buy a Westone UM3X, but I had a Westone 3 and did not liked it bc the [size=11pt]huge mid bass hump and overall harsh/fatiguing sound, whether the mid bass is overshadowing the midrange for my ears . So do you think the UM3X would be a nice choice for me, or its better save my money, don't buy an UM3X and get an ALO RX for the Triple and Iphonen 4? And could the lune cable fit the UM3X? Thank You[/size]

The um3x does sound like a good choice, bit when you listen for te first time you're going to be in for a treat; the sound signatures are really different and it might take some time to ge used to them.

I hated mine web I first got them and I was coming from an amped TF10 with Lune cables as well.

It tKes a while but you'll love them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #3,352 of 4,413

Quote:
The um3x does sound like a good choice, bit when you listen for te first time you're going to be in for a treat; the sound signatures are really different and it might take some time to ge used to them.

I hated mine web I first got them and I was coming from an amped TF10 with Lune cables as well.

It tKes a while but you'll love them.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I first took them out of the box : Bleeeh, is that what I paid $340 for? 
Now:My good Lord, I am never selling these

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #3,353 of 4,413

Quote:
So which source are you using and I suppose you are not using an amp with the UM3X?

I am using a iPhone 4 headphone out most of the time when portable, or at times a Pico Slim with LOD from 5th Gen Nano or iPad.  I have been keeping the UM3X and ES5 in my pants pocket with me everywhere I go, but have the W2 and W3 stashed in my car for times when I'm in the mood for something different.  I sometimes leave the ES5 at home when I worry about them getting lost or damaged (depending on what I'm doing or how big my pockets are).  

With the UM56 tips I like the W3 a little more than the UM3X (amped or not), but inserting them into the ear is not a quick one-handed proposition like the UM3X with silicone tips.  So the UM3X get used more for a quick portable listen, but the W3 are for when I want more isolation from the UM56 tips (assuming it wasn't safe to bring my ES5 with me which isolate best).  I leave the other customs at home for use with my desktop amps or Macbook Pro > Pico DAC > RSA Protector.  This way if I do lose a custom while going portable (like someone breaks into my car) then I still have my spares at home.

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #3,355 of 4,413
I give up on silicon UM56 for fitting and hard to insert. Olive and Shure silicon is best for me. I am gonna use my UM3X until they die. it is so good that my next will be UM5X if they decide to make one. I am too raugh for custom and can't use custom to convince other to spend money in IEM.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #3,356 of 4,413
I've had my pair for 3 days and so far so good.  I'm using the black silcon tips as I prefer them over foam tips. 

Thinking of eventually getting custom tips, either UM56 or ACS, although I've read that ACS tips don't seem to fit properly on the UM3X.

Anyone using UM56 tips and find them comfortable?

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #3,357 of 4,413

Quote:
I've read that ACS tips don't seem to fit properly on the UM3X.

ACS sleeves fit the UM3x perfectly well. I've had mine well over a year and, as long as I give them a good clean every now and again, they stay on the UM3x nozzle with no problems at all.

If anything, the UM56 tips would be more likely to slip off of the UM3x nozzle as Westone don't mould the tips to the earpiece in the same way that ACS do.

UM56 tips on the left, ACS sleeves on the right ...

I'm not saying that UM56 tips aren't any good, I wouldn't know as I haven't tried them, but if you're in the UK it's a lot easier to get ACS sleeves.

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #3,358 of 4,413
Bummer...I ordered the UM3x with removable cable through the Gear Lab but won't get em til Monday. Great service from the Gear Lab, & Westone shipped em out quick, but I guess it takes a long time to get from Colorado to South Carolina. They shipped on Tuesday and I was hoping to get em today. Sold my UM2 this week so I am Jonesin' for me some UM3x! "The waaaaaaiiit is the hardest part!"

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #3,359 of 4,413
Hi, I bought gamma 2 dac a while ago. I hoped to get rid of the hiss issue using UM3x directly from my desktop. I just got it. 

It's NOT working
frown.gif

I can still hear hissing like all the time and way more obvious when playing a quiet song(duh). 

what can i do? help ! 

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #3,360 of 4,413
UM3X are very sensitive. I always get hiss from my Walkman X1060 (none from iPod Touch 3rd gen) and quite a lot of hiss from my M^3 (not Matrix Cube Amplifier output though). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back