Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 24, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2,401 of 4,413
I've only had my UM3Xs since Tuesday. Really enjoying them and I would say they sound exactly how the owners here described them. Fatigue-free listening, good bass, excellent mids, separation and smooth highs. The treble does benefit from a little EQ boost. I'm waiting for Royal Mail to deliver my Shure Soft Flex tips at the moment - bloody typical, they're on strike!

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #2,402 of 4,413
Okay. I'm convinced. Just ordered a pair of UM3X. Should have them before the end of the week. I didn't bother with the Bing deal, I just asked one of the authorized Westone dealers if they would match the $291 pricepoint and they agreed!

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2,403 of 4,413
I just sold my W3's today and ordered the UM3x. I found my UM2's to have a much preferable sound. The Westone 3's might be more musical, but the vocals were just not as good IMHO. For me, it shows how great the The UM2's still are. Sure it does have some flaws, and I hope the UM3x will solve it. I'm using it with RCA Mustang and iBasso D10 (topkit).

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #2,404 of 4,413
BTW, I used UM56 on both the w3's and UM2. I had to get my UM56 remade, because the W3's didn't fit in the old UM56. Nowadays they put a little tube in the UM56, so that the short nozzle of the W3 doesn't come out . My new UM56 have a better seal than the old ones, I guess my ear changed a bit in two years. This morning on the train I couldn't hear someone who was talking on the phone sitting next to me, and the music wasn't even that loud.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #2,406 of 4,413
I was wondering: the Etymotic tri-flanges, they are able to fit on the UM3X too, right? I'd like to order some ER-20 earplugs together with the regular and babyblue tri-flanges from the Etymotic-website.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #2,407 of 4,413
Yes they physically fit but I'm not sure if due to the shape of the UM3X you'll be ableto get them far enough into the ear to get a good seal.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #2,409 of 4,413
My pair from Mike at Freq City Sound finally arrived today.

Listening right now using gray rubber Shure sleeves. For some reason I'm not finding them particularly impressive. I've been using my PK1 a lot lately, and the UM3X sound kind of veiled in comparison. Perhaps I just got used to the exaggerated highs of the PK1? They also sound kind of lifeless since theres no punchy bass Im used to with IE8's.

Can anyone give any pointers, or recommend a song where the UM3X really shine?

A few unboxing pictures, if any one is interested

img2410g.jpg

img2425c.jpg

img2427r.jpg

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #2,410 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To my ears, UM3Xs + custom sleeves, do very well in any of my music genres. I can listened better to hard-rock (Metallica, Master of Puppets), complex J-pops and anime songs. They have a good separations, and you may able to pinpoint all/almost all musical instruments in the songs, without fatiguing.

Now listening Diana Krall and Celine Dion's songs with my friend's Iphone 3Gs.
smily_headphones1.gif
IMHO, nice synergy, no doubt about it. As usual, they sound 'Big', clean and detail. Not bad at all for a 'phone'
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #2,411 of 4,413
Quote:

Listening right now using gray rubber Shure sleeves. For some reason I'm not finding them particularly impressive. I've been using my PK1 a lot lately, and the UM3X sound kind of veiled in comparison. Perhaps I just got used to the exaggerated highs of the PK1? They also sound kind of lifeless since theres no punchy bass Im used to with IE8's.

A few unboxing pictures, if any one is interested

At first i wasn't impressed either. Get used to them and what kind of genres they sound good with, for your ears. I went from the IE8 as well, i use the UM3X when i just want to listen and when i need isolation. The IE8 is more of my fun-IEM, but without an amp it sounds sort of odd after a while. With an amp though, for me, it beats the UM3X, but i still love them for the isolation, the way they handle highs and mids, but the soundstage is just..not there in comparison to the IE8. I'd say the UM3X is a practical IEM, allround good with all genres, great isolation, comfort etc. But the IE8 is something extremely musical, great sound quality, but still you have to make some compromises to use them. I now carry a pretty big block in my pocket, dont really get the isolation i could need from sitting on the bus, but they sure do sound like a dream.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #2,412 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG Dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not getting your math; how does it come to $280?

$317 - 8%($25.36) = $291.64

I meant to say $290. My bad.

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #2,413 of 4,413
My Shure Soft Flex tips just arrived. Many thanks to those that recommended them - they are just the ticket!

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #2,414 of 4,413
Quote:

Hmm... Coming from the IE8s the UM3X were a bit strange to begin with. You just gotta wear them and do some serious listening for a while. Once you realize the amazing instrument separation and the sheer balance they come into their own. Oh and bump up the highs with an EQ if you can. That really helps. Consider picking up a cheap clip+ or the cowon s9/d2+ for that. The clip+ sounds noticeably better than the d2+ but the d2+ has a better EQ by a fair bit.

Anything which creates its own soundstage is effective with the UM3X. Genres like symphonic metal/rock sound very good as well as ambient. Conversely, music which is simple and vocal does well too.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #2,415 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Shure Soft Flex tips just arrived. Many thanks to those that recommended them - they are just the ticket!

Glad they worked out. I use the mediums and think they are the best non-custom sleeves I've tried so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back