Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 27, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #1,907 of 4,413
No, too much $$ IMHO.

I got me some large black T-100 complys for my UM3X and I am very happy. I cannot imagine anything more comfortable and I'm not sure what else U56 could add to the sound? Not sure what more I would be looking for from the sound as I don't detect any faults at all with this set-up.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #1,909 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where the UM3X leaves the Ety in the dust is in it's ability to retain all of it's great features (detail, imaging, instrument separation) during busy passages of music as well as providing a full, bass-worthy dynamic presentation. UM3X is much easier on the ears at higher volumes as well. But of course it is over double the price. Un-amped, at least...for the life of me I could never imagine anyone taking the ER4P over the UM3X and I am a fan of both IEM's.

Interesting.. I've read this before but I've also heard one or more owners mention that at times it seems the sound tube of the UM3X is still too small to still handle complex, busy sections without becoming congested. This seems to be a common problem with many IEMs so I wouldn't be surprised if the UM3X also suffers from it. As Agent Kang mentioned, clarity will also end up being a big deal for me.

Price is an issue for me (the UM3X would cost me 450% of the price of my ER-4P). Currently I'm going to be heading into one of three possible combinations by the end of the year: Etymotic ER-4P + Grado HF-2, Westone UM3X + Sennheiser HD 600/AKG K X01/Beyerdynamic DT 880/250, or just the JH-13 pro. I actually listen on-the-go often which makes two an option if it crushes the ER-4P (which I chose over the SE530, IE 8, and TF10pro).

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #1,910 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spyro, did you ever get the UM56? I got lucky playing poker yesterday and now can afford the sleeves, and wondered if you have them. Seems those who own them say they are worth it, HPA, Bahktiar, etc.

If I am not mistaken, previously you said that, your wife may buy the sleeves as your Christmas present. Or I just confused with other's posts
smily_headphones1.gif

If you like the comply, I pretty sure that you may like the custom sleeves too.

Spyro
You can win some poker games, like tstartn06 was
smily_headphones1.gif
. But the the best solution is to save money bit by bit, and in no time you able to get it. Also you can use the sleeves with other IEMs with nozzle size similar to UM3X's

3x0
If you like IEMs, go for the customs. Period
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #1,911 of 4,413
I guess I would like to know what the U56 sound improvements are from someone that previously liked complys and felt they were getting a great sound.

It seems almost everyone that went to U56 hated most other tips or couldn't get a great seal. I'm not having that problem. We know U56 dramatically improves W3 but I suppose the improvements are much smaller with UM3X.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #1,912 of 4,413
I would think that the UM3x is more detailed than the ER-4P/S, but its tonal balance makes that detail less obvious. Now, I don't have the ER-4 anymore, I got rid of it years ago so this is going from memory. But the Etys sense of detail was from a boosted treble and generally dry presentation which made all of the microdetail jump out at you. The UM3x has longer decay and better transients, and its high end is recessed, so you get more of an emphasis on the overall presentation. But the detail's all in there. The tips do make a difference though and with some tips the highs are quite a bit more muted and a lot of detail is very buried.

I do prefer the UM3x by a long way but the Etys are old. This doesn't mean much in headphones usually but balanced armatures are one area where things have not stood still, and I don't think that a single driver canalphone can cut it in comparison to the modern 3, 4, and even 6 driver IEMs. Things are moving along quite nicely in balanced armature land, and the JH13 may be the first to break the 20khz barrier but it will not be the last, and I'm sure universal-fit IEMs will soon follow. Dynamics are limited by the very nature of their driver and if things stay on course IEMs will soon be leaving dynamics in the dust both on price and performance - not to mention portability and low power requirements. IEMs really have a great chance at bringing high end to the mainstream, at last.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #1,913 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I would like to know what the U56 sound improvements are from someone that previously liked complys and felt they were getting a great sound.

It seems almost everyone that went to U56 hated most other tips or couldn't get a great seal. I'm not having that problem. We know U56 dramatically improves W3 but I suppose the improvements are much smaller with UM3X.

I can simply describe the custom sleeves as
Custom slevees = a better version of Complys + better treble extension
The custom sleeves sound signature is more toward comply rather than the modded triple flanges or silicone.

Improvements? To my ears, yes. Now, I can effortlessly listen to rock musics or anything with very busy or complex musics. As catscratch mentioned, detail and transient are better with custom sleeves.

TQ.

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #1,914 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I am not mistaken, previously you said that, your wife may buy the sleeves as your Christmas present. Or I just confused with other's posts
smily_headphones1.gif

If you like the comply, I pretty sure that you may like the custom sleeves too.

Spyro
You can win some poker games, like tstartn06 was
smily_headphones1.gif
. But the the best solution is to save money bit by bit, and in no time you able to get it. Also you can use the sleeves with other IEMs with nozzle size similar to UM3X's

3x0
If you like IEMs, go for the customs. Period
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I didn't just win a poker game, I won $11.5k. No kidding. Just got really lucky (it's a very long story. Any poker players out there want to know, I will PM it to you). So I can afford the UM56, and I figured my wife can buy me something else. Even with that unexpected cash, I am just not sure I want to spend it on a custom sleeve. I know, that seems odd. Of course, I have already had friends say I should just get the JH13, ES3X, etc. With a kid in college, that's not an option. I just can't go there in terms of a single spend. The most I have spent on a single pair of phones is $230, and I just can't go higher that $250 or so for some reason. Just my basic philosophy, I guess.

So I am torn, but last night, I revisited the Klipsch gels, and did several A/B listens with the modded Complys, and decided the gels actually are my best option with the UM3X. Not congested at all, in fact, very, very nice presentation, crisp highs, bass is still there for me. Details all there.

I think I will let it simmer for awhile. Taking daughter to school this weekend, and when my head clears of my unreal stroke of luck I had and all the packing and unpacking, I'll revisit the UM56 purchase decision.

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #1,915 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the Etys sense of detail was from a boosted treble and generally dry presentation which made all of the microdetail jump out at you. The UM3x has longer decay and better transients, and its high end is recessed, so you get more of an emphasis on the overall presentation. But the detail's all in there. The tips do make a difference though and with some tips the highs are quite a bit more muted and a lot of detail is very buried.

Thanks. I don't think the ER-4P has much of a boosted treble (compared to the ER-4S, anyway), but I see where you're coming from. I'm not surprised the UM3X has better transients -- IMHO the ER-4 is produces unnatural (consequently, poor) transients. It seems to have a very edgy attack for the leading edge of a note but then the decay is quickly exaggerated for the tail of the note (even though the decay itself is not quite as impressive). I'm not sure how to describe this but the notes have some kind of raindrop effect that is noticeable in a few tracks I have. This gives a false impression of enhanced speed.

Would you say the UM3X is "faster" than the ER-4P? I am curious to know if it would ever blur and coalesce the notes together in fast-paced passages (i.e. speed metal) compared to the ER-4P, which I feel handles these passages oddly well because of its weird pseudo-speed.

I must say I am not sure I agree with your last paragraph; I have put the ER-4P ahead of modern options like the TF10pro, SE530, and IE 8 in more than one dimension. A good portion of this liking is based on simple preference, but I feel there are still a few technical aspects where the ER-4P excels in compared to the decade-later competition. The single armature of the ER-4P is absolutely amazing considering it is without a doubt of significantly higher quality than the individual armature components in the multi-armature universals today.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #1,916 of 4,413
Here's some Sony X1061 --> Pico impressions.

The UM3x does improve by a bit when amped. I feel there's something missing with it when used unamped. With the Pico the sound is less muffled and becomes fuller. Detail also increases due to the added treble spark. The change isn't drastic but it's definitely discernible to my ears.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #1,917 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I didn't just win a poker game, I won $11.5k. No kidding. Just got really lucky (it's a very long story. Any poker players out there want to know, I will PM it to you). So I can afford the UM56, and I figured my wife can buy me something else. Even with that unexpected cash, I am just not sure I want to spend it on a custom sleeve. I know, that seems odd. Of course, I have already had friends say I should just get the JH13, ES3X, etc. With a kid in college, that's not an option. I just can't go there in terms of a single spend. The most I have spent on a single pair of phones is $230, and I just can't go higher that $250 or so for some reason. Just my basic philosophy, I guess.

So I am torn, but last night, I revisited the Klipsch gels, and did several A/B listens with the modded Complys, and decided the gels actually are my best option with the UM3X. Not congested at all, in fact, very, very nice presentation, crisp highs, bass is still there for me. Details all there.

I think I will let it simmer for awhile. Taking daughter to school this weekend, and when my head clears of my unreal stroke of luck I had and all the packing and unpacking, I'll revisit the UM56 purchase decision.

Yes, no more thinking needed, just go for the custom IEMs. JH13Pros + AMP3 Studio II
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway please ignore the 'poison' and spend your money wisely, my friend.

Custom sleeves can be a small 'investment' to enjoy your universal IEMs, and also a nice preparation for the full custom IEMs.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #1,918 of 4,413
Well I finally got mine, despite some confusion over my street address.

Out of the box impressions is that the perceived build quality is not quite as good as my shure e4c's. The cable is very good in terms of microphonics and comfort, but I'm slightly paranoid about it forming a kink where it meets the jack or earphone.

In terms of sound my first reaction is 'boy are these sensitive'. I can now hear my zune 30gb power up with a click and a very slight hiss before starting music playing. With the e4c I was on 3/20 and occasionally 4/20 on the volume for a relaxed listening level. I'm now somewhere between 2 and 3/20! I may need to re-encode all my tracks with some built in attenuation to get some more precise volume control...

Sound quality first impressions. These are much more of a full range speaker than the e4c. I get where the impressions of recessed high's comes from. This is reduced somewhat with the large comply's over the shure olives, and after a short time listening, my brain is now compensating enough. The downside to the comply's is that they are not as good as the olives at blocking out a certain hf component of the ac and laptop noise in my office.

Really the frequency response makes it difficult to compare or go back to the e4c and in terms of sound quality, I'm perfectly happy with these as some portable headphones. As to whether they are worth the money, that is a little harder to answer, as I don't have anything similar in their price range to compare. My initial thoughts are that this should be achievable for less, but I have no evidence of that. I do have some HD650's and so far, I don't see their musical abilities under too much threat, which does come as a slight disappointment. More time listening is needed though.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #1,919 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, no more thinking needed, just go for the custom IEMs. JH13Pros + AMP3 Studio II
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway please ignore the 'poison' and spend your money wisely, my friend.

Custom sleeves can be a small 'investment' to enjoy your universal IEMs, and also a nice preparation for the full custom IEMs.

Well, you are on the right track, but I may shoot more modestly and get the JH5 Pro, and keep the UM3X too. To get those higher priced models, I'd need to sell the UM3X, and I don't want to do that. But the Studio is definitely in my future.

So no UM56, since the Klipsch gels are sounding pretty good to me (back to them, again). I just want to make sure there is enough of a sound sig difference between the 3X and the 5 pro before I splurge. The 5 Pro was $599, but JH cut the price by $200 to compete with the UE4. Sounds like a very good deal.

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #1,920 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's some Sony X1061 --> Pico impressions.

The UM3x does improve by a bit when amped. I feel there's something missing with it when used unamped. With the Pico the sound is less muffled and becomes fuller. Detail also increases due to the added treble spark. The change isn't drastic but it's definitely discernible to my ears.

Ah good to know! But I always wonder if it's worth the hassle to drag an amp outdoor... had portable amps in the past, and sold them all in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back