Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #1,876 of 4,413
I think that could be it. Longer sound tube that is more at the inner ear or something. To be honest, I like the Klipsch gels, the modded tri-flanges, the Ety bi-flanges AND the modded large Complys. Hey, maybe it's the phones! Doh!

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #1,877 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that could be it. Longer sound tube that is more at the inner ear or something. To be honest, I like the Klipsch gels, the modded tri-flanges, the Ety bi-flanges AND the modded large Complys. Hey, maybe it's the phones! Doh!

Hey tstarn06, pardon me if I missed mention of it earlier -- How would you say the bass of the UM3X compares to the Westone 3?

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #1,878 of 4,413
Well, it's not as prominent, but plenty powerful for me. The UM3X bass is not recessed at all, in my view.

No mid-bass hump, which has been noted by others who have had/tried both. As I said earlier, I wish I could keep both, but the tip factor swayed me to try the UM3X (too much hassle with the W3s unless I spent another $165 on the UM56) and now I am staying put.

What I like most, apart from the SQ, is the fact I can use a variety of tips (and I have tons) rather than spending more on the custom sleeves. Even tried some olives today (medium) and they also sounded excellent, so that means I have an indefinite supply of tips that synergize well with the UM3X.

I know a couple of people either moved back to the W3 or said the UM3X mids were too prominent. But without harshness, and I know that's an issue for you, I say bring on the mids.

The Cresyns I just tried out, which are like $100 on Amazon, are very similar to the UM3X, but a little less dynamic overall. I like and probably will keep both. Both are BAs, of course.

The Denon C710s, which I am burning in now, may stick around too as my only real dynamic in-ear phones, if the treble settles down after 3-4 days burn-in. My last pair broke in 3 weeks and Denon sent a complete new pair. If I don't use them, I'll just sell them.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #1,879 of 4,413
Thanks for the response, tstarn06. I'm intrigued by the C710 right now as well. As I recall, you had issues with harshness on your original C700s (back in the day) -- as do I. Do the C710s mirror this problem for you?

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #1,880 of 4,413
I just noticed something with my UM3X today, they seem to be really "power hungry" and open up quite nicely (especially soundstage/transparency) with an amp. They sound rather dull with my iTouch otherwise.

I don't really have a portable amp, this one is just a CMOY but I can clearly see the potential a good AND powerful portable amp might bring into the table.

My concern is do the usual IEM amps drive these well? They are usually on the weak side in terms of power. Anyone can share some thoughts or own experience?

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #1,881 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response, tstarn06. I'm intrigued by the C710 right now as well. As I recall, you had issues with harshness on your original C700s (back in the day) -- as do I. Do the C710s mirror this problem for you?

Oh, out of the box, I really didn't like the 710 treble/highs at all, much like the 700s (I mean, harsh, but not necessarily the same exact high signature). But this time I intend to give them a fighting chance, as they did seem to settle down after 100 hours or so of burn-in, but then the right driver suddenly went dead, so I am back to square one. I have had them on my extra notebook since yesterday afternoon.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #1,882 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, out of the box, I really didn't like the 710 treble/highs at all, much like the 700s (I mean, harsh, but not necessarily the same exact high signature). But this time I intend to give them a fighting chance, as they did seem to settle down after 100 hours or so of burn-in, but then the right driver suddenly went dead, so I am back to square one. I have had them on my extra notebook since yesterday afternoon.

Well, I look forward to your post-burn-in impressions, then!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #1,883 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed something with my UM3X today, they seem to be really "power hungry" and open up quite nicely (especially soundstage/transparency) with an amp. They sound rather dull with my iTouch otherwise.

I don't really have a portable amp, this one is just a CMOY but I can clearly see the potential a good AND powerful portable amp might bring into the table.

My concern is do the usual IEM amps drive these well? They are usually on the weak side in terms of power. Anyone can share some thoughts or own experience?

Thanks for your impressions. If a CMOY could improve the signature, something more high end (the Pico) will drive them just fiiiiine.

I hope my upcoming x1060 responds just as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #1,884 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I look forward to your post-burn-in impressions, then!
smily_headphones1.gif

Will do. I am converting into a UM3X (road)/Grado SR-80 (home) listener now that I have the Amp3 (an unbelievable synergy with the Grados). Listening right now in fact, hardly feel like using the in-ears anymore unless I am out and about, the Grado/Amp3 synergy is that good. I've had these Grados for almost a decade, never used them all that much, until now. I also tape modded them.

Getting away from the UM3X thread, but I will send you a PM on the 710s once they have at least 100+ hours on them.

The UM3Xs also sound very good with the Amp3, but not as good as the $100 Grados. Go figure.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #1,885 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Custom tips for 36USD? Sounds good to me. Mind telling me where you get it?

I got it from my local audiologist, in Malaysia. Originally the custom sleeves are for hearing aids device, and I took a gamble to tried it for the UM3Xs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #1,886 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impressions. If a CMOY could improve the signature, something more high end (the Pico) will drive them just fiiiiine.

I hope my upcoming x1060 responds just as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

UM3Xs synergy with iBasso D10 (DAC) are very good. No complaint about the treble at all. This combo is my reference for time being.

UM3Xs with Sony Walkman NWZ-X1060 is just above average good. lower-high is quite laid back a bit, but you can use it's very effective EQ, boost +2@6.3kHz. Don't miss the Clear Bass feature too .
smily_headphones1.gif
As I mentioned in iBasso D10's threads, you can emulate the X's sound signature with iBasso with AD8656/bypass combo. You may get almost similar sound signature to the X, but with more punchier and cleaner bass and better overall resolution. IMHO.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #1,887 of 4,413
Thanks for that bakhtiar. I hope the Pico would boost the lower-high regions by a bit. I'm guessing you've never tried amping the x1060 with the D10?

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #1,890 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i gave the klipsch gels a bash

all i felt it did was take a little out of the bass and give that energy to the treble. comfort was great as expected but for me id rather have the fractionally more gentle treble that the olives give me

I get the same results with modded tri-flange, trimmed flange & stalk. Treble gets a little more energy at the cost of bass impact and mid details. Mids lose some of that addictive quality (texture??) that I enjoy so much with modded complys. Without the aggressiveness/impact they become quite boring to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back