Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #1,846 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the constructive comments about the cable wrapping method. You may 'lightly' wrap the cable, if you afraid of the 'sharp bends'.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or, just do the wrap normally around your fingers and place it carefully in the case in such a way, to prevent any knots when you take them out from the case, by grabbing the earpieces and pull them gently.

It is better if Westone can give us instructions how to keep the UM3Xs untanggled.
smily_headphones1.gif
The best way is by using a special case, with built-in cable roller, like my previous earbuds, the Sony MDR-E484's case.

Example...

p/s: I gave the MDR-E484B to my best friend, after I got the Sony MDR-CD3000
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

never liked those, they always keep the cables to tightly squished together and when the circle isn't big enough like it the ones on the old UE cases it ruined the wire majorly too. Best way i think still is to wrap the earphones around four fingers lightly, and just leave them like that. As long as you don't throw those in your pocket like that, they won't get tangled. Just put them in a case after the light wrapping and it's good to go.

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #1,847 of 4,413
Excellent post - nicely and clearly written.

My only comment would be on the tips themselves. I've said this before but might as well state it again: I've owned the SE530, W3 & UM3X and with all of them ONLY the soft grey silicone tips sounded just right - all other tips were uncomfortable and lacked or emphasised one of the frequencies. The soft silicone tips --and more so the ones that came with the W3-- make the UM3X sound fantastic, very close to my custom ES3X. Also, these tips provide a level of comfort that is practically the same as that on my almighty ES3X's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the UM3x. I'm getting the JH13 eventually but in the meanwhile I thought I'd mess around with something more down-to-earth.

First impressions:

Extremely comfortable. Same as the UM2. Easily the most comfortable universal-fit IEM out there along with the UM2. I'm using the short comply tips now for lack of anything better.

Sound is mellow and polite but fairly rich. I don't really like the bass - it lacks extension and there's something wrong with its tone. Maybe it's the tips I'm using, but the SE530 definitely has better bass when it's fitting well. So does the W3. But on the plus side the bass is reasonably well controlled and detailed, you can follow basslines easily even if they do sound a bit off.

The mids are pretty forward, like they are on the Stax SR-001. They're also really good. Nice tone, good clarity, fairly but not overly fluid, and they have texture - quite a bit better rendition of texture than SE530 or W3, but not as good as the ES2 or SR-001. Still, it's the first universal-fit IEM I've heard that is actually capable of resolving texture. Vocals and midrange-heavy instruments are rendered very accurately. I like the mids more than W3 and SE530 personally, they remind me of the SR-001 mids a lot and that's only a good thing.

The highs are detailed but recessed. They have extension but they're far back in the mix and have no sparkle. Cymbals have shimmer and decay but sound like they're next door. This is less of an issue at high volumes, but at lower volumes the highs sound muted. On the upside, there's no harshness whatsoever. This could also be the tips, comply tips are notorious for muting highs.

Detail is good, but this is a headphone that tries its best not to sound detailed. Still it's all there, and detail is a notch above the W3 and quite a few notches above the SE530. It's quick, too, and doesn't lose definition as things become more complex. Dynamic range is also pretty good but I've never heard a BA canalphone that didn't have good dynamic range. The UM3x is on the mellow side compared to other BA canalphones but it doesn't sound dull at all.

Soundstage is good for an IEM. Everything sounds open, instrument separation is good, and imaging is precise. A notch above the W3 I would say and on par with the SE530. Same sense of air, but the UM3x sounds fuller.

On the whole it really reminds me of a more laid-back and mellow SR-001, though the bass is unfortunately nowhere near as good (and of course it doesn't have the electrostatic speed or air). This is right out of the box, no messing with eartips, no fussing with fit.

I've read comparisons between this and the ES2, and it's a bit like the ES2, but is also different. The ES2 is really forward and very vibrant sounding. The UM3x is mellow and more laid-back. But there is a similar sense of refinement that does beyond the W3 and well beyond the SE530, and both have transparent mids with very good texture.

But the best part of the UM3x, at least out of the box, is not the sound but the fit and overall ease of use. In order to get the W3 and SE530 to sound good I had to resort to torturously uncomfortable fit, and without it they sounded unlistebale. But the UM3x sounds good right out of the box and is comfortable at the same time. It basically does exactly what a universal-fit IEM is supposed to do but somehow never really did all that well - be comfortable, isolating, portable, and good-sounding all in one. So it's a keeper, at least for now.

This is also what the W3 should have been, once again mostly because of the fit. I really can't expect a casual listener to put in the kind of time and effort it takes to get the W3 to fit right and sound good if they're not lucky and have a good fit right out of the box. Now, maybe I'm just lucky with the UM3x and wasn't lucky with the W3 and SE530, but somehow I don't think so. The UM2 was not very fussy when it comes to fit either, and there is no reason why the UM3x shouldn't be the same.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #1,848 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent post - nicely and clearly written.

My only comment would be on the tips themselves. I've said this before but might as well state it again: I've owned the SE530, W3 & UM3X and with all of them ONLY the soft grey silicone tips sounded just right - all other tips were uncomfortable and lacked or emphasised one of the frequencies. The soft silicone tips --and more so the ones that came with the W3-- make the UM3X sound fantastic, very close to my custom ES3X. Also, these tips provide a level of comfort that is practically the same as that on my almighty ES3X's.

An interesting remark, music_4321! Would that happen to be the same grey silicon tips that came with my Shure E3's?

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #1,849 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An interesting remark, music_4321! Would that happen to be the same grey silicon tips that came with my Shure E3's?

Yes.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #1,850 of 4,413
I find the grey flex silicones just don't go deep enough though I get a really good seal with them. To my ears they are a little cavernous sounding.

After trying about 6 different tips, 2 modded tips, the only ones that do it right for me are modded large complys trimmed to canal length. Mine are trimmed slightly taller than the small complys.

The UM3X actually have a really tight, punchy bass. I find modded complys are the only tips to keep the bass under control while keeping vocals natural sounding. Guitars are pretty sweet with these tips too. Everything else, like dissembled said earlier, sounds muffled. (have not tried klipsch tips)

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #1,851 of 4,413
I myself refuse to wear Comply's for the purest sound of the earphone
very_evil_smiley.gif
i find it muffling the high frequencies and there's just no sparkle to any earphone i've tried. Tried Klipsch with Se530, works great. Excellent comfort, and possibly the best sound from any silicone tip out there.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #1,854 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I myself refuse to wear Comply's for the purest sound of the earphone
very_evil_smiley.gif
i find it muffling the high frequencies and there's just no sparkle to any earphone i've tried.

I find modded complys actually improves the highs on my UM3X since its bringing the tips further down my ear canal. Granted, UM3Xs aren't known for their sparkle.

I think the key is finding the sweet spot. Too long, the tips get squished hence the muffling of the highs. Too short gives a more less forward presentation (polite).

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #1,855 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeup.sir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find modded complys actually improves the highs on my UM3X since its bringing the tips further down my ear canal. Granted, UM3Xs aren't known for their sparkle.

I think the key is finding the sweet spot. Too long, the tips get squished hence the muffling of the highs. Too short gives a more less forward presentation (polite).

In General, i never liked Comply tips for their sound, but comfort is excellent. No matter what size of Comply or even modded ones i try, never liked the sound they give. Always silicone for me.

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #1,856 of 4,413
I have fairly small ear canals and the large Klipsch gels fits me right. They seem somewhat flattened though. I've tried stretching them horizontally but they still retain their flat shape (vertically). What's the best way to spread them out? Is that their natural shape?

But yeah, in my opinion, the ear gels blow the stock Comply tips out of the water. With the complies, it's muffle galore. Even slightly nudging them into my ear canal muffles the sound for me.

I've also realized that I've been pushing the phones into my ears wrong. I now push the backside of the phones in and that reduced the muffle quite a bit. For me anyway.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #1,858 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have fairly small ear canals and the large Klipsch gels fits me right. They seem somewhat flattened though. I've tried stretching them horizontally but they still retain their flat shape (vertically). What's the best way to spread them out? Is that their natural shape?

But yeah, in my opinion, the ear gels blow the stock Comply tips out of the water. With the complies, it's muffle galore. Even slightly nudging them into my ear canal muffles the sound for me.

I've also realized that I've been pushing the phones into my ears wrong. I now push the backside of the phones in and that reduced the muffle quite a bit. For me anyway.

Before you insert the Klipsch gels give them a quarter turn. You may need to do this from time with extended listening if you take the IEMS out to listen to people wanting to talk with you.....like pesky flight attendants (unless they're really cute!....not many are anymore....!) and colleagues who just have to talk!

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #1,859 of 4,413
I go back and forth, modded large Complys and Klipsch large gels. I find things to like about both, but nothing beats the easy comfort of the gels. And they do bring out the treble on the UM3X.

I may try some modded tri-flanges, but they just seem stuffy (from memory using them with the W3s), compared to the Klipsch gels. I also discovered the large gels make an excellent tip for the Apple Dual Drivers too. Guess my early affinity for the Sony hybrids is moving to the Klipsch gel tips on many of my phones (but not the Denon 710s so far).

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #1,860 of 4,413
Considering that many folks here feel that that UM3X lacks sparkle for its treble, are there any tips that can mitigate this problem? I am thinking that the Klipsch tips may help?
2nd question, are there any top-range IEM that have the treble sparkle of the PFEs (which I really like, grey tips)? Am thinking maybe Westone 3?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back