Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 20, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,831 of 4,413
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon with road dog via ebay as they seemed to have a decent price. I did find one other place that was cheaper, but no reviews of the site anywhere, or mention of whether or not it was an official dealer. Still waiting for my shipping notification...

I spent some time trying to decide if it would be worth it to upgrade or not, and was almost set on some shure 530's until I came across the w3, then these. I just hope these don't turn out to be a waste of money. They are going to replace some shure e4c's, driven from an original 30Gb Zune, and if they are good enough, may also replace some HD650's driven by an e-mu 0404 usb in my office.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #1,832 of 4,413
nice tutorial bakhtiar
bigsmile_face.gif

Will they fit in the Westone case like that?

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #1,833 of 4,413
Thanks for the great pics and instructions, bakhtiar!

Edit: Just tried it and it worked like a charm. And they fit in the Westone case too.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #1,834 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are the steps how I keep my UM3Xs..

bakhtiar-albums-westone-um3x-picture3203-um3x-cable1.jpg

1) Hold the Y splitter at the middle of the palm. Note at the earpieces cables.

bakhtiar-albums-westone-um3x-picture3204-um3x-cable-2.jpg

2) Wind up the plug cable around the fingers

bakhtiar-albums-westone-um3x-picture3205-um3x-cable-3.jpg

3) Hold the earpieces cables and neatly wind up around the wound cable.

bakhtiar-albums-westone-um3x-picture3206-um3x-cable-final.jpg

4) Final outcome.

To use them, grab the plug and the earpieces, then pull than apart gently.

Beside this method, I also really like to know if there are any other methods.

Thank you.

I would be wary of those sharp bends. The twisty helix of the cable allows the cable a better bending radius tolerance; but still, those sharp bends may accelerate the degradation rate of the cable, which will slowly affect the sound quality. I recommend looping the cable in circular loops, and using one or two pieces of tape to hold the loops together.

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #1,836 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be wary of those sharp bends. The twisty helix of the cable allows the cable a better bending radius tolerance; but still, those sharp bends may accelerate the degradation rate of the cable, which will slowly affect the sound quality. I recommend looping the cable in circular loops, and using one or two pieces of tape to hold the loops together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dear lord, id never wrap anything so tightly

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #1,837 of 4,413
Neither would i. I never wrap the cable onto it's own to keep it in a bundle like that. IT just ruins the cable and especially with the UM3X i can't even look at it. I just wrap it around four fingers and keep it in a case, or on a table. Stays in a little loop cause the earphones i use also have the braided soft cable that stays in place.

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #1,838 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by WithBadIntent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be looking to purchase the Westone UM3X as a addition to my Senn IE8, but I am slightly worried about the cable as it is not replaceable like the IE8. How is the cable in terms of ruggedness, and how is Westone's customer service if the cable or the headphone itself gets damaged.

Cable is top notch quality, better than the W3 cause it's slightly thicker don't know why it just is. Customer service from Westone is better than Sennheiser i can tell you that, and they are fantastic people. Don't worry, go right ahead. But if you do, Sorry about your wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #1,839 of 4,413
If I push these phones far enough into my ear canal, the sound gets terribly muffled. No highs, just lows and mids. Does anyone else experience this? Same thing happens with my old EP630s.

This is with the included comply tips as well as the Klipsch large ear gels. I push them far enough to try and obtain a good seal.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #1,840 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I push these phones far enough into my ear canal, the sound gets terribly muffled. No highs, just lows and mids. Does anyone else experience this? Same thing happens with my old EP630s.

This is with the included comply tips as well as the Klipsch large ear gels. I push them far enough to try and obtain a good seal.

That's the problem with universals, when you push them in too much, the tip itself gets squished and closes off the little hole in the middle and then you get a muffled and muddy sound. If you have to push it in that much, then you aren't using the right size tip. Also, foam tends to muffle and make the sound muddier so try something like silicone. might not be as comfortable, but the sound is definitely better and you should get a better seal too.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #1,841 of 4,413
Thanks.

I've noticed that even a slight push makes things sound terribly muffled. I'll have to watch how deeply these things are inserted or else it's muffle galore.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #1,842 of 4,413
Thank you for the constructive comments about the cable wrapping method. You may 'lightly' wrap the cable, if you afraid of the 'sharp bends'.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or, just do the wrap normally around your fingers and place it carefully in the case in such a way, to prevent any knots when you take them out from the case, by grabbing the earpieces and pull them gently.

It is better if Westone can give us instructions how to keep the UM3Xs untanggled.
smily_headphones1.gif
The best way is by using a special case, with built-in cable roller, like my previous earbuds, the Sony MDR-E484's case.

Example...
Quote:

Originally Posted by innocentbystandr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
picture0022nl.jpg

p/s: I gave the MDR-E484B to my best friend, after I got the Sony MDR-CD3000
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #1,843 of 4,413
The large Klipsch gels arrived today. With these tips, the sound that emits from these phones is breathtaking.

The mids, especially. Vocals may be too upfront for some but to me, it's a treat. The vocalists seem like they're whispering into your ears. Their close proximity evokes such intimacy. So very eerily beautiful.

My only complaint is that they're quite picky on how far they go into your ears. Even a slight nudge results to muffle (with my ears, at least). Also, the default complies that came with are quite inadequate. Westone should definitely consider using silicone-based tips instead.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #1,844 of 4,413
Just got the UM3x. I'm getting the JH13 eventually but in the meanwhile I thought I'd mess around with something more down-to-earth.

First impressions:

Extremely comfortable. Same as the UM2. Easily the most comfortable universal-fit IEM out there along with the UM2. I'm using the short comply tips now for lack of anything better.

Sound is mellow and polite but fairly rich. I don't really like the bass - it lacks extension and there's something wrong with its tone. Maybe it's the tips I'm using, but the SE530 definitely has better bass when it's fitting well. So does the W3. But on the plus side the bass is reasonably well controlled and detailed, you can follow basslines easily even if they do sound a bit off.

The mids are pretty forward, like they are on the Stax SR-001. They're also really good. Nice tone, good clarity, fairly but not overly fluid, and they have texture - quite a bit better rendition of texture than SE530 or W3, but not as good as the ES2 or SR-001. Still, it's the first universal-fit IEM I've heard that is actually capable of resolving texture. Vocals and midrange-heavy instruments are rendered very accurately. I like the mids more than W3 and SE530 personally, they remind me of the SR-001 mids a lot and that's only a good thing.

The highs are detailed but recessed. They have extension but they're far back in the mix and have no sparkle. Cymbals have shimmer and decay but sound like they're next door. This is less of an issue at high volumes, but at lower volumes the highs sound muted. On the upside, there's no harshness whatsoever. This could also be the tips, comply tips are notorious for muting highs.

Detail is good, but this is a headphone that tries its best not to sound detailed. Still it's all there, and detail is a notch above the W3 and quite a few notches above the SE530. It's quick, too, and doesn't lose definition as things become more complex. Dynamic range is also pretty good but I've never heard a BA canalphone that didn't have good dynamic range. The UM3x is on the mellow side compared to other BA canalphones but it doesn't sound dull at all.

Soundstage is good for an IEM. Everything sounds open, instrument separation is good, and imaging is precise. A notch above the W3 I would say and on par with the SE530. Same sense of air, but the UM3x sounds fuller.

On the whole it really reminds me of a more laid-back and mellow SR-001, though the bass is unfortunately nowhere near as good (and of course it doesn't have the electrostatic speed or air). This is right out of the box, no messing with eartips, no fussing with fit.

I've read comparisons between this and the ES2, and it's a bit like the ES2, but is also different. The ES2 is really forward and very vibrant sounding. The UM3x is mellow and more laid-back. But there is a similar sense of refinement that does beyond the W3 and well beyond the SE530, and both have transparent mids with very good texture.

But the best part of the UM3x, at least out of the box, is not the sound but the fit and overall ease of use. In order to get the W3 and SE530 to sound good I had to resort to torturously uncomfortable fit, and without it they sounded unlistebale. But the UM3x sounds good right out of the box and is comfortable at the same time. It basically does exactly what a universal-fit IEM is supposed to do but somehow never really did all that well - be comfortable, isolating, portable, and good-sounding all in one. So it's a keeper, at least for now.

This is also what the W3 should have been, once again mostly because of the fit. I really can't expect a casual listener to put in the kind of time and effort it takes to get the W3 to fit right and sound good if they're not lucky and have a good fit right out of the box. Now, maybe I'm just lucky with the UM3x and wasn't lucky with the W3 and SE530, but somehow I don't think so. The UM2 was not very fussy when it comes to fit either, and there is no reason why the UM3x shouldn't be the same.

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #1,845 of 4,413
Nice first impression review, catscratch.
I also found the bass, quite 'rich' at my first impression with the comply tips. I tried the shure olives, silicone tips and the modded triple flanges, which were the best for my ears. Better treble and more controlled and extended bass.

But, everything were changed with custom sleeves, where the bass is more extended and cleaner. Not to mentioned the better mids and much extended and sibilant-free treble. I also agree with the high, quite laid-back, but NOT too recessed or rolled off. I missed the 'crashing' cymbal and drum's attack as in my other 'bright' IEMs, the PFEs.
smily_headphones1.gif

TQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back