Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #1,891 of 4,413
Yes, I also feel that the complies bring out the most mids. With the gels, the mids are slightly more subdued.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #1,892 of 4,413
Yeah, I moved back to the modded large Complys as well. Just a better sound sig to me, I didn't need the treble boost that much, as it's hardly muddy or recessed, and the mids do sound better with the foamies to me. But I will keep trying. I also put on some medium olives and liked those too, for the same reason as the Complys. Ahhhh!

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #1,893 of 4,413
tstartn06

Since you had tried many types of tips, how about, make a ranking based on bass, mids and treble quantity or quality
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #1,895 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wish I had 3-4 pair of UM3X, so I could listen right away, without changing tips.

Sounds like a plan!
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #1,896 of 4,413
Messed around with the tips somewhat.

Small comply tips have wooly bass and muted highs. The medium clear tips bring out the highs somewhat and reign in the bass but the sound becomes more dry. They're also pretty uncomfortable. The grey silicon tips sound like the clear ones but are somewhat more comfortable. But the best so far are the large comply tips - these increase driver/ear distance somewhat but also go much deeper into the ear canal. The right fit with these brings out the highs, reigns in the bass somewhat (it's still a bit loose but doesn't sound quite as off tonally) and doesn't make everything sound dry. They also make the presentation more forward and dynamic. Comfort is also good, though not as good as the short comply tips. However if they're not inserted deep enough they sound a lot like the short comply tips - muted and dull.

Looks like I have a winner. Been using this combo for the past few days and everything sounds pretty good. *Robin Williams voice* "I like it way mucho!"

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #1,897 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Messed around with the tips somewhat.

Small comply tips have wooly bass and muted highs. The medium clear tips bring out the highs somewhat and reign in the bass but the sound becomes more dry. They're also pretty uncomfortable. The grey silicon tips sound like the clear ones but are somewhat more comfortable. But the best so far are the large comply tips - these increase driver/ear distance somewhat but also go much deeper into the ear canal. The right fit with these brings out the highs, reigns in the bass somewhat (it's still a bit loose but doesn't sound quite as off tonally) and doesn't make everything sound dry. They also make the presentation more forward and dynamic. Comfort is also good, though not as good as the short comply tips. However if they're not inserted deep enough they sound a lot like the short comply tips - muted and dull.

Looks like I have a winner. Been using this combo for the past few days and everything sounds pretty good. *Robin Williams voice* "I like it way mucho!"

I would agree with all that Catscratch has said, having played around with my tip collection. I settled on and was using the long Comply tips quite happily until yesterday. I actually found them comfortable, but I have pretty deep canals.

As to what happened yesterday: UM56. And, yes, I do find them better than than non-custom tips. But at the price, it is to be expected.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #1,898 of 4,413
My UM3X's are waiting at home for me. 1 week from US to AUS thanks to Mike at Frequency City Sound. Upgrading from shure e4c (using olives). I'm after a reasonable portable to complement my GS1000's
L3000.gif
. I think it's gonna be a long afternoon at work.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #1,899 of 4,413
although I like my UM3X a lot it is a bit warm and less high than my liking from my Nokia 5800 (yes, far from best source but I don't want to carry whole bunch of equipment walking on street) after I tune up from 2.2 to 11.8khz it sound perfact with comply long tip. it bring out the airness, the power of female vocal and high. this is my case not sure if other feel the same.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #1,900 of 4,413
The UM3x is actually insanely detailed. Seriously, the amount of detail that the UM3x has should be locked up in an insane asylum somewhere, gibbering at padded walls. Of course there's stuff out there that's way more detailed (Omega 2 springs to mind) but for the price the UM3x is seriously revealing. The tonal balance actually doesn't help much with detail (recessed highs) so it's even more detailed that it lets on.

Did a few quick comparisons with the W3 - the W3 sounds positively congested next to the UM3x. However it does have more punch and treble sparkle, and a more glossy, fluid finish (artificially glossy IMO). I prefer the UM3x by a good margin, but I'll listen some more under different conditions (Belgian Strong Dark Ales generally don't help critical listening).

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #1,901 of 4,413
got my um3x yesterday. so far, the highs have really come out of these things. at first they were so recessed that i couldnt really deal with it without EQing. but now, even flat, the um3x feels like it's changed. i wonder how much the crossover really burns in. anyone care to chime in?

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #1,902 of 4,413
Could anyone provide a comparison of the UM3X's detail and resolution compared to the Etymotic ER-4P/S? I'm mildly interested in this beauty, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay 5x what I paid for the Etys if the microdetail retrieval is comparable.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #1,903 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anyone provide a comparison of the UM3X's detail and resolution compared to the Etymotic ER-4P/S? I'm mildly interested in this beauty, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay 5x what I paid for the Etys if the microdetail retrieval is comparable.

I've used the er4s exclusively for several years and have recently replaced it with the Um3x. I can't do a side by side comparison because I don't have the etys with me but I will not say that its a huge improvement. um3x is definitely more laid back and is less fatiguing of the two but it also lacks the clarity of the etys. If I had a choice knowing what I know now, I would just stick with the etys.

Actually, I would probably never go back the the etys because I refuse to deal with the microphonics.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #1,904 of 4,413
I had the Ety ER4P (and the S converter cable as well) and to me, the UM3X are just as detailed, but much less treble oriented and much less fatiguing. As for clarity, that's just one aspect of an in-ear phone. In the long term, I found the Etys dry and definitely in need of amping. Not so with the Westones. Just my view on the two phones. Agree on the microphonics difference, however.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #1,905 of 4,413
As said, the ER4P is quite a bit sharper in the treble area with razor-like detail moreso than UM3X. UM3X VERY detailed throughout but it's a more laidback presentation. Both have a narrow headstage and both have great instrument separation.

Where the UM3X leaves the Ety in the dust is in it's ability to retain all of it's great features (detail, imaging, instrument separation) during busy passages of music as well as providing a full, bass-worthy dynamic presentation. UM3X is much easier on the ears at higher volumes as well. But of course it is over double the price. Un-amped, at least...for the life of me I could never imagine anyone taking the ER4P over the UM3X and I am a fan of both IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back