Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 20, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #1,816 of 4,413
Hello everyone, myself just hopped on UM3X bandwagon last week, and I couldn't be more pleased with the decision. The journey started where I relocated myself to Taiwan, since I don't drive here and found myself walking and taking pulic transportation as my everyday activities, I've started to look into high quality IEM, my source currently is iPhone 2G, LOD, FiiO E5(on my 3rd replacement)
confused_face.gif
, the previous earbud was B&O A8, honestly I really don't think the A8 are bad, I pair them with acousticbud and they sounded nice. Anyhow, as I've caught the upgrade fever and done more reading and research, I was pretty much settle on IE8, W3 or the TF10. I've done countless comparison between all 3 IEM and even listened to CK100, even though I knew UM3X is avalible but somehow I never pay any attention to it. As much as I have been auditioning all the top universal IEM, I just can't make up my mind as if there was something missing for the sound I'm looking for. At some point I was getting frustrated and even thinking of forking out the money to do custom until I stumble to a Taiwanese headphone forum. Anyhow, I've been chatting up with this gent and he suggested I should really give the UM3X a try. So he offered his pair(one month old) for evaluation and if I like it, he'll give me an offer I can't refuse. Needless to say, within 20 seconds of audition I said I'll take it. UM3X is exactly what I'm looking for and more. Pair with my iPhone 2G it actually sound decent, I've compare back and fourth with or without LOD and E5, honestly, I can't tell much different and I'll be looking into better portable amp next few weeks to complete my portable gear. Last few night I found myself doing something that I've not been doing for quite some times, I've actually lay down for hours and enjoy my music from UM3X as I did back in the state with full Martin Logan/Conrad Johnson 2.1 setup. And it has been a nice break without being obesssed with what IEM I should get and countless research online day and night. My next mission is find the perfect tip, the stock comply do not work for me as it degrade the sound and bother's my ear too much, I was able to pick up a pair of Shure Olives from a local shop and wow what a difference, however, The size I bought was M and I'm still trying to adjust to the tip, it was bothering me after a hour with them and hopefully I can get used to them, if not, does anyone know if the smaller Olives is a good mate with UM3X? Anyhow great thread about the UM3X and looking forward to share experiences with all.
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #1,817 of 4,413
Medium olives are too big for my ears, but after a while, they aren't as big and are perfect for my ears. I personally use small olives though, since they fit my ears perfectly right from the start.

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #1,819 of 4,413
Um... I'm not sure if I really had the vibration issue (although I just sent my pair in), when no music was playing. If you touched the wire near the left driver unit or the left driver unit itself, you would hear a slight "ringing" noise, much like a rubber band being plucked.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #1,820 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by roni44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone, myself just hopped on UM3X bandwagon last week, and I couldn't be more pleased with the decision.

Congratulation and welcome to the UM3X's owner's club
smily_headphones1.gif
. Glad you like it.

Quote:

My next mission is find the perfect tip, the stock comply do not work for me as it degrade the sound and bother's my ear too much, I was able to pick up a pair of Shure Olives from a local shop and wow what a difference, however, The size I bought was M and I'm still trying to adjust to the tip, it was bothering me after a hour with them and hopefully I can get used to them, if not, does anyone know if the smaller Olives is a good mate with UM3X? Anyhow great thread about the UM3X and looking forward to share experiences with all.
beerchug.gif

Look no further, the custom sleeves, example the Westone UM56 or equivalent is the best tips for you, JUST for you .
smily_headphones1.gif

Or you can try, modded tripple flanges for more treble energy.

Thank you.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #1,821 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulation and welcome to the UM3X's owner's club
smily_headphones1.gif
. Glad you like it.

Look no further, the custom sleeves, example the Westone UM56 or equivalent is the best tips for you, JUST for you .
smily_headphones1.gif

Or you can try, modded tripple flanges for more treble energy.

Thank you.

Hello. Is [./this] the triple flange tips you're talking about?

If not, can you kindly give a link to the ones you're using? Lastly, you mod it by cutting off the first tip and trimming the tube right? By how much exactly?

Also, does anyone here use the silicone tips provided with the Westone 3? How does it fare? I couldn't find it anywhere in their site or Ebay though. Can someone give me a link to it ?

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #1,822 of 4,413
I really like the cables of the UM3X but it tangles very easily imo. Is there a way you can avoid this? I always put them in the carrying case and almost every time I take the IEM's out of it they are tangled.

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #1,823 of 4,413
How long you need to cut the tube, is based on how far the tips able goes into your ears, and the earpieaces sit nicely at the outer ears. You can push all the way the stem into the tube..

Here is a picture of the mentioned 'modded triple flanges' with my current custom sleeves
smily_headphones1.gif
for your reference.
smily_headphones1.gif

bakhtiar-albums-westone-um3x-picture3202-modded-triple-flanges.jpg

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #1,824 of 4,413
I may be looking to purchase the Westone UM3X as a addition to my Senn IE8, but I am slightly worried about the cable as it is not replaceable like the IE8. How is the cable in terms of ruggedness, and how is Westone's customer service if the cable or the headphone itself gets damaged.

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #1,826 of 4,413
Notes: The custom sleeves that I have are NOT the Westone UM56s. They are generic silicone custom sleeves for hearing aid's devices, and mine are for Siemen's hearing aid.

Mine fit nice and OK, but a first, it was quite uncomfortable in the left ear, but it is getting beter-better. After 2 weeks, they just fit normally without any pain. Itchiness? Ok, once a while, I felt itchy, and not all the time. Time to time you have to clean it with clean cloth. Other than that, everything just what I wanted for
smily_headphones1.gif

How about other UM56's or custom sleeves owners' experiences?

About the cable tangling, I always wind up the cable before I put them in the case. I'll post the picture(s) how I wound the cable, if I have time,

Thank you.

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #1,827 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the cable tangling, I always wind up the cable before I put them in the case. I'll post the picture(s) how I wound the cable, if I have time,

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #1,828 of 4,413
my first experience with um56(vinyl) was really terrified. sharp pain in the ear canal and discomfort. but after 2 days, easy wearing and more comfortable. definitely much better than universal tips, I believe oto-blast would be much more better.

I bought um56 is to try out a "custom feel" because I hope to go to the full customs route.

PS: my friends asked me why my two eartips so different in shape and size? so you should know why customs are important. heh heh....

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #1,829 of 4,413
Anyone running these out of the hp out of a D2 or 5.5g ipod? Hows the sound? Um3x seem to not agree with my a818 sony player. It's pretty bad actually, makes voices sound really unnatural. However out of my compaq notebook headphone out they are great.

edit: It's much better now that I reset the dac in the service menu on the A818. This combo is really warm sounding. I think a bit too warm for my tastes.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #1,830 of 4,413
Here are the steps how I keep my UM3Xs..

bakhtiar-albums-westone-um3x-picture3203-um3x-cable1.jpg

1) Hold the Y splitter at the middle of the palm. Note at the earpieces cables.

bakhtiar-albums-westone-um3x-picture3204-um3x-cable-2.jpg

2) Wind up the plug cable around the fingers

bakhtiar-albums-westone-um3x-picture3205-um3x-cable-3.jpg

3) Hold the earpieces cables and neatly wind up around the wound cable.

bakhtiar-albums-westone-um3x-picture3206-um3x-cable-final.jpg

4) Final outcome.

To use them, grab the plug and the earpieces, then pull than apart gently.

Beside this method, I also really like to know if there are any other methods.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back