Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 18, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #1,802 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long comply's cut from the base to make the length somewhere between the small and large ones.

Thank you! This mod saved my UM3x. Take a look in the FS forum
redface.gif
. At first I didn't trim enough which brought out the highs but the bass was a little boomy. I took it down some more, to the inner plastic tubing, now it sounds really good, much better balance. Still wish soundstage was a little bigger and airer. Would UM56 open soundstage much?

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #1,803 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are also much smaller than I expected. It's incredible that they can put 3 drivers in it. I currently use the tips that were on them in the box. Are those foams or comply's btw? They sure feel very nice, but how long do they last in general?

As dap-pad answerd those are complys.
Check out this thread for your lasting question: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...s-last-333807/

Just got some shure triple flange. Testing out the moded triples.
Any other suggestions on tips i could try? (i wont try olives since i hate them)

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #1,804 of 4,413
i have had good luck with the hybrid foam which jvc, sennheiser and nuforce use. to use it though (since its hole is large), you have to remove the rubber sleeve from inside an olive or old comply and then fit one more on top. very comfortable and since it isn't anchored, you can pull it back quite far so it doesn't bunch up in the ear canal and alter the sound much.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #1,805 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeup.sir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you! This mod saved my UM3x. Take a look in the FS forum
redface.gif
. At first I didn't trim enough which brought out the highs but the bass was a little boomy. I took it down some more, to the inner plastic tubing, now it sounds really good, much better balance.

Saved indeed! I wanted to buy these
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #1,806 of 4,413
I got my silicon UM56 yesterday. I have hard time get them into my ear. It is so grippy that it refuse to go deep into my ear the shape also make it hurt a lot before rarely i can put them into my ear. It is easier to jack my finger into my ear than this. Whatis your experience and should i contact Westone ? I cannot use it like this.

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #1,808 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my silicon UM56 yesterday. I have hard time get them into my ear. It is so grippy that it refuse to go deep into my ear the shape also make it hurt a lot before rarely i can put them into my ear. It is easier to jack my finger into my ear than this. Whatis your experience and should i contact Westone ? I cannot use it like this.

I'm not sure exactly what you're experiencing but when I first got my UM56 the right tip was pretty painful when inserted and I wasn't very happy about needing to send them back so I figured I'd give them a chance to break in. After about a week and a half the pain was gone and it turns out the the fit was absolutely perfect. As long as the seal is good then give them a chance and see if it starts to feel better, if the seal is bad then send them back. As for getting them in your ear, eventually you will get used to it.

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #1,809 of 4,413
Quote:

You should put something on it to kinda lube it. Try putting some saliva or water on them to make them slide easier. But check first if saliva or water would damage the tips.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #1,811 of 4,413
Received the UM3x's from Road Dog Online today. That merchant is in my view, pretty exceptional. Shipped the phones exactly one hour after order. They even included a prepaid return label along with your order just in case you're unsatisfied with it for any reason.

[Here's their Ebay store.]

Still waiting for Klipsch to mail me the large gel ear pieces I've ordered so I'm stuck with the included comply tips.

Can anyone compare the sizes of the Klipsch ear gels (large) and the included Comply tips? I've noticed the comply tips have virtually identical diameters when viewed from the front. How much larger are the large Klipsch gels than the Comply tips?

Many thanks.
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #1,812 of 4,413
The large Klipsch gels are shorter, but wider than the Complys, and a completely different tip (soft silicone vs. foam). My two favorite UM3X tips are the large gels and the large COmplys, trimmed about 3/4 (from the base). They are perfect for the UM3X, as the standards are too small for me and the larges too large. Communic passed along this advice, and it works, it works. Either of those tips make the UM3X sound their best in my view, apart from custom sleeves.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #1,813 of 4,413
Thanks for the response tstarn. I'm beginning to wonder whether I made the right choice purchasing the largest ear gels. The smallest comply tips are just right for me. Do you know what ear gel size is most identical to the smallest comply tip?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #1,814 of 4,413
Quote:

How did you insert the sleeves?

For my right ear,
1) I hold the earpiece with the cable side facing to the bottom/shoulder.
2) Insert the sleeves and twist counter clockwise, like screwing the earpiece into your ear, until the earpiece sit properly.
3) You may pull your ear lobe to ease and make insertion/seal much better.

You need to adjust the position of the sleeves until it perfectly seal your ear canal, AND the earpiece sit properly at your outer ear.

Thank you and enjoy your UM56s
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #1,815 of 4,413
thank you for the instruction. it works when I oil it. It seems like silicon is too grippy and I don't have any earwax as lubricant. when I email Westone they said Vinyl is better choice for me. I am still trying if silicon really don't work for me I might have to return the silicon pair for vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back