Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #1,786 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
geez... i wish the defect could be more worse. its a on and off thing so not sure whether i can get it replace what so ever.

If they can reproduce the problem then they will fix it under warranty. They'll probably send you a new pair.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #1,788 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastumoto5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i want try Shure Olive for my brand new UM3X.

At the moment I use standard size comply tips included, what size should i buy shure olive: medium or large?

thanx

try medium, the large olive is ridiculously huge.
try open this post using IE, should have size comparison of olive and comply P-tips
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5928677-post1746.html

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #1,790 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is [./this] what you're talking about?

The photos make it seem like they're flattened pancake-like discs.
icon10.gif
Could be my screen/browser combo though.

Is there a package deal in which every size is included?

sorry i cant really see the shopping cart cos im not in the US. how are these sold? in all sizes (as shown in the picture) for $12.99? Or if not what's the deal? thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #1,791 of 4,413
I am currently using Sennheiser IE7. While it has great bass, good sound stage and relatively good sound quality, its treble is way less than impressive. And also it lives up to the Sennheiser signature-- the "dark" signature that may cover some important details. Hence, a three-way triple armature driver is the way to go.

I actually auditioned 3 IEMs before deciding.

1) Westone 3-- It has 'thick' mid-range and stronger bass, but some details are missing. The sound is not neutral (slightly colored but not like Sennheiser), which may not be a bad thing. I thought I accidentally enabled the equalizer, making it sound "colored".

2) Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Pro-- Very poor fit and isolation. The bass is tight, but not deep (to the point of near non-existent-- could also be due to fit issue). Mid-range is rich, but its the treble that wins. Sound-stage and instrument mirroring is incredible, easily the best I have ever listened. I remembered turning my head to both my left and right as I thought I heard spectators clapping beside me while listening to Yanni Live at the Acropolis. I will remember this great set of IEM as having the widest sound-stage I have ever heard!

3) Westone UM3X-- Neutral is the word. Not as "colored" like Westone 3, deeper tighter bass but not over-powering like Westone 3. Sound stage is slightly weaker as compared to the other 2 (weak but still pwns IE7), but it sounds very very precise. The treble just slightly loses to UE 10 Pro, but still considered to be outstanding. I can certainly hear lot of details. This will be great for classical music.

All 3 are tested without any prior knowledge on them, and they just fitted these IEMs into my ears so I had no idea which is which. The staff at CE smiled and nodded their heads when I shared my mini-review with them.

Amazingly, UM3X is the cheapest among them. SGD$529 compared to Westone 3 ($559) and UE 10 Pro ($629).

So end of the day, I switch to UM3X-- and never look back!

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #1,792 of 4,413
Hey guys,

I'm new to IEMs, i use to use cheap headphones until, one day one of my friends bought me a pair of Westone UM1s, I've been using them for about 1 year now their the best things I've listened to since i got my UM3X around a week ago. There's been an offer of a RSA tomahawk at my local retailer for around $250usd, it's a red colored one, I've put my name on it but haven't put my money into it yet, do u guys think it would be a good investment at that price, also would it really make a big different?, I'm still learning about different sound signatures and stuff like that since i haven't really been into IEMs for very long so I'm not that conscious about the SQ.

any advice would be awesome thanks!

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #1,793 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry i cant really see the shopping cart cos im not in the US. how are these sold? in all sizes (as shown in the picture) for $12.99? Or if not what's the deal? thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

They sell you 4 pairs of one given size. There's small, medium, large single flanges and small and large double flange sizes. I was hoping they'd include all the sizes as well but they don't. They sell this for $12.99.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #1,795 of 4,413
it will work but you don't really need it. the wire is so soft and the y-splitter is closer to your chin to keep wire in place

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #1,796 of 4,413
My UM3X arrived his morning. Just got home from work an hour ago and they have been in my ears since then.
normal_smile .gif

One of the main reasons - it was almost equally important to me as SQ - I've chosen for these IEM's is because they are said to be very comfortable. And I can attest to that: they are extremely comfortable! I have never had customs but the UM3X are without a doubt as close as an IEM can get to a custom in this department.

Build quality seems very impressive too. The cable is thin but very sturdy. The housing of the IEM feels strong and looks really beautiful imo.

Of course, what matters most is the SQ. The UM3X don't dissappoint in this area, not at all! It sounds extremely natural and non-fatiguing. The seperation of the instruments is wonderful. I like the bass already: strong and tight but not overpowering. The mids sound very fluid and not too close as some feel it does. My treble sensitive ears just love the crisp highs (but not peaky) of the UM3X.

In conclusion I can say these babies have exceeded my (high) expectations and are the perfect IEM's for me.

Thank you head-fi for giving me the chance to hear about the UM3X.

Special thanks to Mike (from freqcitysound) for his exemplary service! You're a true gentleman, sir!

Also a special thanks to Music_4321! Without your convincing arguments and your advice to buy it from Mike I would have never dared to take the plunge for a purchase on the other side of the Atlantic. You're also a gentleman.
wink_face.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #1,798 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My UM3X arrived his morning. Just got home from work an hour ago and they have been in my ears since then.
normal_smile .gif

One of the main reasons - it was almost equally important to me as SQ - I've chosen for these IEM's is because they are said to be very comfortable. And I can attest to that: they are extremely comfortable! I have never had customs but the UM3X are without a doubt as close as an IEM can get to a custom in this department.

Build quality seems very impressive too. The cable is thin but very sturdy. The housing of the IEM feels strong and looks really beautiful imo.

Of course, what matters most is the SQ. The UM3X don't dissappoint in this area, not at all! It sounds extremely natural and non-fatiguing. The seperation of the instruments is wonderful. I like the bass already: strong and tight but not overpowering. The mids sound very fluid and not too close as some feel it does. My treble sensitive ears just love the crisp highs (but not peaky) of the UM3X.

In conclusion I can say these babies have exceeded my (high) expectations and are the perfect IEM's for me.

Thank you head-fi for giving me the chance to hear about the UM3X.

Special thanks to Mike (from freqcitysound) for his exemplary service! You're a true gentleman, sir!

Also a special thanks to Music_4321! Without your convincing arguments and your advice to buy it from Mike I would have never dared to take the plunge for a purchase on the other side of the Atlantic. You're also a gentleman.
wink_face.gif

I received my UM3x late last week and share your opinion. Very comfortable with great SQ. Playing through an RSA Mustang is auditory heaven. This was really the right IEM for me, also. The Mustang was also a recent purchase. What is the oft repeated line: "Sorry about your wallet". Very true. But in this case, very much worth it.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #1,799 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by otello66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my UM3x late last week and share your opinion. Very comfortable with great SQ. Playing through an RSA Mustang is auditory heaven. This was really the right IEM for me, also. The Mustang was also a recent purchase. What is the oft repeated line: "Sorry about your wallet". Very true. But in this case, very much worth it.
happy_face1.gif

I wholeheartedly concur with your statement!
bigsmile_face.gif

They are also much smaller than I expected. It's incredible that they can put 3 drivers in it. I currently use the tips that were on them in the box. Are those foams or comply's btw? They sure feel very nice, but how long do they last in general?

@ Music_4321: thanks for the invitation!
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #1,800 of 4,413
To new owners of the UM3Xs : Welcome to the club
smily_headphones1.gif

My suggestion for your next purchase... again, Sorry about your wallet, the custom sleeves, example the UM56.
smily_headphones1.gif

So you have more time to save some more money for your next purchase, ... the custom IEMs... example JH|13 Pro or ES3Xs
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back