Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 7, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #1,696 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a problem with UM3X. Probably I'm oversensitive to midrange, but it just kills me. When saxophone starts playing, the only thing that helps is putting UM3X out of my ears. The midrange is too prominent for me.

The question is, is there any alternative tips, beside supplied with UM3X(complys), that can address the issue? It would be nice if treble will be emphasized a bit also.

The soft grey silicone tips that come stock with the W3 & SE530 always worked MUCH better than all other tips for me - and the comfort is second to none. I found all other tips wrong sounding on all UM3X, W3 & SE530.

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #1,697 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well from what i read the W3 is V shaped, when everyone jumped all ove the um3 as being 530 competition that was of far greater interest to me. may try the w3 one day but in no great hurry, i i do rather think of it as being a um3 just tuned differently. just nothing ive read about it makes me go "ooooh i want it"

Quote:

well i can see why it would be. uncomfortable is entirely dependant on the shape of your ears, um3 works fine for me and most but cant be for everyone.

as for being shrill i find the um3 goes that way with the icon mobile, S and T's become very very sharp on some songs and is just so entirly source dependant. ive never encounted anything that changes so very very much depending on whats driving it. so depending on the source he uses i can very easily see it being harsh or shrill. i know when i use my comps sound card to drive them they sound just awful

Quote:

well ive had no problems with either, never found the triples to be uncomfortable in the slightest so if hes has the same it mightnt take much to make the um3 more uncomfortable

but yeah hes the only person i can think of ever saying they arent comfortable whereas many have complained about the triple

Mark, please be nice and stop calling the UM3X 'um3'. You don't have to use capitals but adding the 'X' would be a nice gesture. It's like calling Peter 'pete', and Peter might not be too pleased about it. Might also make it a little confusing for some new members. I know you do like the UM3X and perhaps even call it 'um3' to show your affection for it. :)

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #1,699 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The soft grey silicone tips that come stock with the W3 & SE530 always worked MUCH better than all other tips for me - and the comfort is second to none. I found all other tips wrong sounding on all UM3X, W3 & SE530.

How can I identify them? Or where can I get them?

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #1,700 of 4,413
Aug 7, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #1,702 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^Check this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...leeves-437089/ -- and look at this photo, the soft grey solicone tips are the dark grey ones in the middle and on the IEM's themselves.

For me the grey silicones were by far the best of the stock tips...nothing else even came close.... just remember not to jam them in too far or the sound will become boomy and muddy. Just insert them nice and easy, until they touch your skin all around... that's it. They'll sound great.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #1,703 of 4,413
Sorry... I said "stock tips" but then I realized they're stock on the W3's not on the UM3X's. Anyway... short of getting custom tips (which I highly recommend), I find the grey silicones to be the best sounding... worth hunting down.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #1,705 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the grey silicones were by far the best of the stock tips...nothing else even came close.... just remember not to jam them in too far or the sound will become boomy and muddy. Just insert them nice and easy, until they touch your skin all around... that's it. They'll sound great.

Did not work for me. The sweet spot was way to narrow and easy to loose versus complys.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #1,706 of 4,413
I've used the complys and the Shure Olives...Olives are much better.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd highly recommend trying out those.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,707 of 4,413
I couldn't hold out, I just bought a pair of UM3X's.

Reading through this thread and others really make me believe that these will be the perfect IEM's for me and that I won't be tempted to pick up another set for a long time. Can't wait to get these in.

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #1,708 of 4,413
Congrats! I know I don't regret my purchase
biggrin.gif
Though getting a good fit is imperative to maximize the enjoyment factor. Make sure you've tried them with all tips and sources first
smily_headphones1.gif
Because initially they didn't sound so hot with complys and my Sansa Clip... but you'll quickly grow to love them if you find the perfect combo!

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #1,709 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleazyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Reading through this thread and others really make me believe that these will be the perfect IEM's for me and that I won't be tempted to pick up another set for a long time. Can't wait to get these in.

Yeap!. The power of head-fi is enormous.Reading head-fi is like being consulting to a sound wizard/fortune teller. Sometime they hypnotized you, so be careful!!
smily_headphones1.gif
lol
smily_headphones1.gif

But, there are few peoples that I trust, because, I think their listening taste is very similar to mine. So, it is nothing bad to trust head-fi too.

TQ.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #1,710 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleazyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

just spend wisely.....
beyersmile.png
dun over spend..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back