Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #1,682 of 4,413
I agree but I think it's only within the first several hours. The rest is YOU getting accustomed to the sound over what you were previously using.

No different than getting used to an ER4's (cough...)lack of bass. Over time you get use to it and it can almost sound satisfying but it is NOT the drivers burning in adding a fuller bass.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #1,683 of 4,413
I am pulling trigger on UM56 (going audiologist tmr), what material should I go for and why ? vinyl or silicon ? my ear wax is on the dry side.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #1,684 of 4,413
a few unchanging impressions~

The cable is scary thin, i'm afraid to look at it hard...

Coming from the tf10, the unit disappears into my ear, to the point that they require attention to remove neatly. I wonder if the greater extension of the um56 tips is a positive thing.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #1,685 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pulling trigger on UM56 (going audiologist tmr), what material should I go for and why ? vinyl or silicon ? my ear wax is on the dry side.

I read and chose the OtoBlast material. I would not tell you to use it, but I would encourage you to spend a few minutes studying. There is this as well as other info on the internet.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/er-...-molds-259085/

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #1,686 of 4,413
I can't imagine putting something like 'hardened vinyl' in my canal. Even the trip flanges flex quite a bit. Maybe I'll try the clear hard tips the W3s come with to get a preview of what it might feel like?

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #1,687 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't imagine putting something like 'hardened vinyl' in my canal. Even the trip flanges flex quite a bit. Maybe I'll try the clear hard tips the W3s come with to get a preview of what it might feel like?

Heh, the vinyl tips are softer than my full acrylic customs. The hardness isn't much of an issue when they are perfectly formed to the shape of your ear canal.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #1,688 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, the vinyl tips are softer than my full acrylic customs. The hardness isn't much of an issue when they are perfectly formed to the shape of your ear canal.

sweet, thanks

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #1,689 of 4,413
shortly after receiving my UM3X from repairs, theres this "vibration" when i tap it lightly...is that normal? it's like some sort of loose spring vibrating. Only happens with the left one and there seems to be no decline in quality....just annoying.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #1,690 of 4,413
^^^ Sorry to hear that. The 'vibration' is NOT NORMAL. Send them back for replacement.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #1,691 of 4,413
Just changed my UM3x and good thing it doesnt have such a problem, although now its my ipod that has some problem.
Ordered the shure replacement kit and after testing around with the ear tips i managed to find one that fits , as for when i had the Ultimate ears triple FI i had complete isolation from it just out of the box.
Would anyone know anyone selling just the UE 10 Left side driver? I assumed the IEM was spoilt and sold the left, finally realizing the ipod being the cause of the problems.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #1,692 of 4,413
I have a problem with UM3X. Probably I'm oversensitive to midrange, but it just kills me. When saxophone starts playing, the only thing that helps is putting UM3X out of my ears. The midrange is too prominent for me.

The question is, is there any alternative tips, beside supplied with UM3X(complys), that can address the issue? It would be nice if treble will be emphasized a bit also.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #1,693 of 4,413
Sure, everyone perceives things differently - but I see that you have the clip. The EQ on that is quite effective for tweaking. The triple flanges as additional tips might even things out for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a problem with UM3X. Probably I'm oversensitive to midrange, but it just kills me. When saxophone starts playing, the only thing that helps is putting UM3X out of my ears. The midrange is too prominent for me.

The question is, is there any alternative tips, beside supplied with UM3X(complys), that can address the issue? It would be nice if treble will be emphasized a bit also.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #1,694 of 4,413
I found the shure e530 black foamie tips to deaden thing a bit - I would try EQ'ing as well - um3x is pretty level in its sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #1,695 of 4,413
went to audiologist today for UM56, It is first time I went to audiologist, took an open mouth impression. it is a painless and quick process. I choose silicon tip hoping the seal will be better as I use UM3X on the go. AUdiologist said it will take about 2 weeks to get it done, I hope he is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back