Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 15, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #1,022 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your comments are right on point.

When I first listened to the UM3X I immediately thought they were 'muddy' sounding. (I then recalled that I thought the same thing years ago when I switched from Martin Logan to B&W speakers which I later came to love.) They just aren't as analytical as the 4S. That being said, after hours of listening I have come to like them. I would have to say that I do not think that for me they are overwhelmingly better than my Etymotics but they are different and there is something to be said for the full sound that the UM3X has. They are very easy to spend time with.

I do prefer the tri-flange tips that I use on my Etymotics. For me, correct placement of the supplied tips to achieve clear sound is difficult. The tri-flanges are too big for this earphone. If anyone has a recommendation, I would appreciate it.

Well I use the UM56 but I hear the Shure olive tips are supposed to be good, though that's just hearsay as I'm not really sure how good they are.

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #1,023 of 4,413
I can't use those triple flanges because my earholes are too wide and too shallow (Make your judgments if you must). I use wide Comply tips that form a good seal. The nice thing with this IEM is you don't have to have the tip inserted deep into the ear canal to get decent bass, so (with the ergonomics of the hearing-aid fit), this IEM provides good comfort while providing excellent sound.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #1,024 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will do that today, I kinda overlooked it. I thought it was for the 1 year extension to the original warranty. Thanks.

It is a for the extension, but also good to get it in right away. We know there are some folks out there selling the product as "non-authorized" dealers. If you bought it in an un-opened box we honor the warranty. Contact Kyle music@westone and he'll get you setup with an RMA#.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #1,025 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a for the extension, but also good to get it in right away. We know there are some folks out there selling the product as "non-authorized" dealers. If you bought it in an un-opened box we honor the warranty. Contact Kyle music@westone and he'll get you setup with an RMA#.

Extended warranty? 2 years total then? For the ES3X, too?

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #1,027 of 4,413
Quote:

Just on the UM1-3X and Westone 3

Too bad. May I inquire as to why the customs, though more expensive, do not enjoy the same warranty as the universals? I know it isn't just you -- as far as I know, only Jerry Harvey offers a 2-yr warranty, UE and other less-known competitors do not -- but... yes, why?

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #1,028 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad. May I inquire as to why the customs, though more expensive, do not enjoy the same warranty as the universals? I know it isn't just you -- as far as I know, only Jerry Harvey offers a 2-yr warranty, UE and other less-known competitors do not -- but... yes, why?

That is what I want to know too.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #1,029 of 4,413
Quote:

Thanks p0wderh0und. I did buy it unopened in shrink wrap from seller cyber_worlds. I mailed the card and will email Kyle. I appreciate your help
biggrin.gif
gonna miss my UM3Xs :'(

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #1,030 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks p0wderh0und. I did buy it unopened in shrink wrap from seller cyber_worlds. I mailed the card and will email Kyle. I appreciate your help
biggrin.gif
gonna miss my UM3Xs :'(

Excellent. We do recommend when buying new, only buy from an Authorized dealer to avoid any extra troubles. When in doubt, just ask us.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #1,031 of 4,413
Quote:

Excellent. We do recommend when buying new, only buy from an Authorized dealer to avoid any extra troubles. When in doubt, just ask us.

Yeah, now I kinda regret not buying them from one of the dealers.
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #1,032 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own five IEMs:

Westone 3
Westone UM3X
SE530PTH
UE Triple Fi 10
Er4p/Er4s (with adapter)

These are all great IEMs. I don't have a fanboy need to trash other brands to justify my preferment of one. But if I had to pick one IEM I like better than the rest, it would be the UM3X. Ergonomically, it's the most comfortable fit of all the IEMs I've worn. Its transparent shell looks cool. Best of all, it has a wonderfully balanced sound. I get great bass that doesn't overwhelm the presentation. Treble rolls off nicely without harshness. In-between the high and low ends, this is an IEM with great detail. I've owned seven pairs of Grados, precisely because of their ability to reproduce great detail, and I've heard details on the UM3X that I'd overlooked on my Grados. I didn't buy this IEM for the detail; I bought it for the noise isolation. But to discover so much detail in an IEM is really a joy.

Well.... Another IEM came out...
confused_face.gif

I thought my journey was over with Triple-fi for IEM, but one side of cable died couple days ago. And guess what.. I came to this forum again to search upgrade cable for my triple only...

"Only" to find a custom cable for my Triples!@#!@#

However, you guys did it again...

I read articles and reviews for UM3X for 2weaks and had obsession.

So I ordered them today..... great..

I am very sorry for my wallet, and I also hope that UM3X gives me the joy that i had with my triples.

Either one of UM3X or Triples gotta go, since I don't need 2 iems. lol

This forum is blackhole that sucks all my money, i knew it but I came back and I did it again!@#@!# arrrrggg

Hate you all...

So.. i wanna ask... From Triple to UM3X anyone tried this step?

I might just regret the recessed treble of UM3X (compared to Triple), but can't just let it go without trying.

If UM3X doesn;t satisfy me over triple, I am selling in a week so your gain and my loss..

Please let me kknow your experience if you guys came from Triple to UM3X.

Thank you always, and hate you for destroying my wallet.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #1,034 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well.... Another IEM came out...
confused_face.gif

I thought my journey was over with Triple-fi for IEM, but one side of cable died couple days ago. And guess what.. I came to this forum again to search upgrade cable for my triple only...

"Only" to find a custom cable for my Triples!@#!@#

However, you guys did it again...

I read articles and reviews for UM3X for 2weaks and had obsession.

So I ordered them today..... great..

I am very sorry for my wallet, and I also hope that UM3X gives me the joy that i had with my triples.

Either one of UM3X or Triples gotta go, since I don't need 2 iems. lol

This forum is blackhole that sucks all my money, i knew it but I came back and I did it again!@#@!# arrrrggg

Hate you all...

So.. i wanna ask... From Triple to UM3X anyone tried this step?

I might just regret the recessed treble of UM3X (compared to Triple), but can't just let it go without trying.

If UM3X doesn;t satisfy me over triple, I am selling in a week so your gain and my loss..

Please let me kknow your experience if you guys came from Triple to UM3X.

Wasn't my intention previously to post in this thread (out of flame suits, lol) but seeing yr post, just wanted to add my limited experience of UM3X.
Bear in mind, I've not come from Triple Fi 10 to UM3X, but I recently borrowed a pair for one week (thx soozieq!). I am a big fan of Triple Fi (there, I said it - bias is now fully exposed!) but I hope that doesn't mean I'm not open to hearing/finding an IEM that surpasses them. TBH, UM3X wasn't that for me. It is a very good (as in very good) IEM - I would hands down take UM3X any day over SE530, were that my option. But, regards Triple v UM, my feelings were thus, and centred mainly on two points:

1 UM3X for me had a closed in soundstage. Triple Fi were like a huge spatial 'window' in comparison, to my ears. UM3X sounded to me like being in a fairly small-to-moderate sized room (reminded me of ER-4 at first, but UM3X is better soundstage-wise than the Etys, I decided). The impact of this was that in, say, Ozric Tentacles, sounds moving around the headspace were much more spatially active with Triple Fi, moving in depth from top right to lower left, or whatever...I just didn't have, to my ears, that sense of speed, space or 3D movement with the Westone. Detail placed far out on the soundstage was closer in. Separation was very good tho, to be fair...

2 The treble of UM3X, despite being laudable compared to SE530, just didn't have that extra bite/edge/zing: cymbals were not as metallic as they should be (an offbeat pattern in Porcupine Tree's Metanoia just didn't clang when he hit the bell of the ride, thus didn't cut through enough as an obviously slightly discordant offbeat). Similarly, with Black Uhuru, a repeating, insistent, nagging cowbell playing against the rhythm just didn't carry that nagging feeling - it was just a nice effect in the background. With Triple Fi, both the cymbal and the cowbell stood out where they should be, as important parts of the production. It was all a bit too 'polite' with UM3X if I may describe it that way.

However, I do have to say that during my time with UM3X, I grew to like them more than at first (natch) and that I did have a problem successfully getting a good lasting seal in my right ear, so read the above with that in mind. However, a slight lack of seal appears to be beneficial sometimes (in the case of IE8s, say) so I don't think that would necessarily make my impressions too skewed, in terms of soundstage at any rate. An open bud like OK1, or on-ear like KSC75, has a wonderfully wide SS, after all.

I thought UM3X bass was commendable -very nice, deep, clean. As I got used to them I could understand why people love them -very balanced, very smooth, creamy, nice. They certainly made my ER-4P sound more than a bit hard & harsh at the top end.

Would I now buy UM3X to replace Triple Fi? Sorry, no. I'm still looking for that particular IEM. Unless of course, I've already found it. And it's metallic blue. In which case.....gawd...customs.

Sorry for the long ramble. Good luck with your choices. You really cannot go wrong with either - & as you already have Triple Fi dialed, I would suggest you give UM3X a little while to settle in. Some UM3X lovers may say a week wasn't long enough but, hey...each to their own!

I'll be very interested to hear your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #1,035 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't my intention previously to post in this thread (out of flame suits, lol) but seeing yr post, just wanted to add my limited experience of UM3X.
Bear in mind, I've not come from Triple fi 10 to UM3X, but I recently borrowed a pair for one week (thx soozieq!). I am a big fan of Triple Fi (there, I said it - bias is now fully exposed!) but I hope that doesn't mean I'm not open to hearing/finding an IEM that surpasses them. TBH, UM3X wasn't that for me. It is a very good (very) IEM - I would hands down take UM3X any day over SE530, were that my option. But, regards Triple v UM, my feelings were thus, and centred mainly on two points:

1 UM3X for me had a closed in soundstage. Triple Fi were like a huge spatial 'window' in comparison, to my ears. UM3X sounded to me like being in a fairly small-to-moderate sized room (reminded me of ER-4 at first, but UM3X is better soundstage-wise than the Etys, I decided). The impact of this was that in say, Ozric Tentacles, sounds moving around the headspace were much more spatially active with Triple Fi, moving in depth from top right to lower left, whatever...just didnt have, to my ears, that sense of speed or 3D movement with the Westone. Detail placed far out on the soundstage was closer in. Separation was very good tho...

2 The treble of UM3X, despite being laudable compared to SE530, just didn't have that extra bite/edge/zing: cymbals were not as metallic as they should be (an offbeat pattern in Porcupine Tree's Metanoia just didn't clang when he hit the bell of the ride, thus didn't cut through enough as an obviously slightly discordant offbeat). Similarly, with Black Uhuru, a repeating, insistent, nagging cowbell playing against the rhythm just didn't carry that nagging feeling. With Triple Fi, both the cymbal and the cowbell stood out where they should be, as important parts of the production. It was all a bit too 'polite' if I may describe it that way.

However, I do have to say that during my time with UM3X, I grew to like them more than at first (natch) and that I had a problem successfully getting a seal in my right ear, so read the above with that in mind. However, a slight lack of seal appears to be beneficial in the cae of IE8s, so I don't that would necessarily make my impressions too skewed, in terms of soundtsage at any rate. An open bud like OK1, or on-ear like KSC75, has a wonderfully wide SS, after all.

I thought UM3X bass was commendable -very nice, deep, clean. As I got used to them I could undertsand why people love them -very blance, very smooth, creamy, nice. They certainly made my ER-4P sound more than a bit hard & harsh at the top end.

Would I now buy UM3X to replace Triple Fi? Sorry, no. I'm still looking for that particular IEM. Unless of course, I've already found it. And it's metallic blue. In which case.....gawd...customs.

Sorry for the long ramble. Good luck with your choices. You really cannot go wrong with either - & as you already have Triple Fi dialed, I would suggest you give UM3X a little while. Some may a week wasn't long enough but, hey...each to their own!

Thanks for review.

How would you compare UM3X to IE8? I saw you got IE8 in your signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back