Westone UM3X Thread
Jan 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #4,186 of 4,413

Oh...and for those who've heard both, is the UM30 technically better or is it just different? I'm trying to put a price point on whether the upgrade is worth it...

Westone has never stated anything specific except once on Facebook they said UM30 was to be "more refined".  I emailed one of the engineers at Westone today for,yet, another clarification.  The UM30 seems less "closed in" than UM3X to me.  Maybe "star" tips providing more air or my mind playing games with me.  But I also had star tips with UM3X towards the end and didn't notice.  If Westone replies I will pass on.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #4,187 of 4,413
http://youtu.be/S8QOaaoiT9U

i need to figure out how to post that so it can be watched on here and not go to youtube.

i find this song in this video to be very impressive with the um3x, at the beginning the clapping from the audience is imo wide, and it feels like the audience is behind you and on the side of you, the 3d imaging is again imo impressive.

@ .05-.09 sec the bass comes in, the lows i find are very impressive.

the tambourine is very prominent you can discern the zils jingle or slap together.

the guitar slide is very prominent also... everything has its space, the instrument separation is imo every bit as good as the w4r. you can pick out every single instruement without any problem.

also the soundstage imagining is extremely good from watching the video and listening then im listen now and typing i can discern where everything is coming from. its like from watching the video the um3x project what i saw in sound. 

anyway very impressed!

i read that post all the pages i find your review to be very perceptive. 

i find the um3x to be a w4r with everything done right, or at least it doesnt lack where the w4r does. imo the um3x is all together different than the w4r

im listening to TOO many iems at the moment, i have 2 se535 (both have upgraded cables) the er4pt/er4s/er4s  mc3/2 hf2's .....and my fitear f111 should be here tomorrow.

but i am definitly digging the um3x

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #4,188 of 4,413
So I've got a lead on a new UM30 for $320 and a UM3X-RC for about the same, both new from authorized dealers. Would you see any reason to prefer one over the other, besides aesthetics? Is the cable and connector better on one over the other?

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4,189 of 4,413
  So I've got a lead on a new UM30 for $320 and a UM3X-RC for about the same, both new from authorized dealers. Would you see any reason to prefer one over the other, besides aesthetics? Is the cable and connector better on one over the other?

IMO BIG YES.

the mmcx connector imo completely sucks, ive said it quite a few times, there imo is alot of room for failure on both the housing female and cable male side. 

1. the mmcx connection can get dirty what i expierenced randomly, this can cause shorts in the connection between the cable and housing. this can be corrected with cleaning both male and female side.....however this leads to number 2

2. when you constantly remove the cable and insert the cable back into the housing, the snap ring on the cable can become worn. causing a loose connection thus once again causing shorts in the sound.

3. also with all this removing and reinstalling of the cable the snap ring groove can also become worn....again causing shorts in the sound.

if you dont intend on using a upgrade cable, this wont apply. BUT.

4. what ive expierence is with a brand new cable, and a brand new iem, took the stock cable off no problem, put the upgrade cable on, and for no reason loose connection from the word go. this caused shorts in the sound. its really really annoying.

thus why i stuck with the w4r/um3x.....i do have 2 pairs of se535 that utilize this and i live with it. but i wouldnt buy another cable that utilizes this type of connection.

funny thing is ultimate ears, westone AND shure all now utilize this connector....so i have no interest in going with any of those companies new products.

that just what ive expierenced take it with a grain of salt. but be aware

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,190 of 4,413

funny thing is ultimate ears, westone AND shure all now utilize this connector....so i have no interest in going with any of those companies new products.

At last, a way to cure upgradeitis!

I echo the sentiments incidentally.  Never had a cable failure except with the shure connectors. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #4,191 of 4,413
  At last, a way to cure upgradeitis!

I echo the sentiments incidentally.  Never had a cable failure except with the shure connectors. 

haha very true, i didnt think of that.

but seriously i dont know why all those companies decided to go with a awful cable design like that, its a cool design, but it has way too many flaws. much of what i pointed out.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #4,193 of 4,413
The MMCX seems to be the only cables that work well with iPhones and that's probably a big part of the earphone user market. Just a thought since the EPICmic cable fizzled out and disappeared.

god i hope those companies arent reaching out to cater to apple, if they sold out like that, they should be ashamed! 

not to mention anyone who has a upgraded cable that isnt mmcx ready they have to upgrade again, really crappy

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #4,194 of 4,413
*shrug* I've had two pairs of SE215, never had any problems and the connection seems much sturdier to me in terms of day to day use than the UE/Westone style 2-pin connection, like on my TF10 and former SM2/SM3. Every time I change the ones with pins I feel like I'm breaking something; the MMXC needs more force but it still feels sturdier to me. I like that it swivels, too.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #4,195 of 4,413
*shrug* I've had two pairs of SE215, never had any problems and the connection seems much sturdier to me in terms of day to day use than the UE/Westone style 2-pin connection, like on my TF10 and former SM2/SM3. Every time I change the ones with pins I feel like I'm breaking something; the MMXC needs more force but it still feels sturdier to me. I like that it swivels, too.

i think that is a selling point of the mmcx style connector. if you dont swap out the cable too much and you dont get the connector dirty or use them in dirty places. they could work out....but im just stating my hate lol.

i agree with you, it is nerve racking removing cable on either the 2 pin or mmcx. esp with the tf10, i always though i was going to break something, so when i upgraded the cables for them i just set it and forget it....if i wanna put a different cable on i will just buy another iem lol.....hence how i ended up with 2 pairs of se535 with upgraded cables.......i need to stop i really do i really do....im up to 9 pairs of iem's  i love finding good deals then passing them onto fellow headfiers and stuff but my counter top is filled with amps,dacs,iems,cases,boxes, lol....my  girlfriend is like what did you buy you needed to express mail and sign for , im like its so cold out....lol

she likes expensive jewelry, headphones are like my jewelry lol.

on another note the UM3X blow your head off damn, they can get loud as hell without distortion i hate to adjust my laptops master volume to 50% And at 15% volume through windows media player is more than loud enough, really digging the ease of use with these.

um3x are becoming more and more impressive....and spyro im using the shure clear silicone you hate LOL, i went ahead and pulled the trigger on the westone tru fit
kit.

the reason i like the shure clear tips is because much like the fit ear the opening is like a horn or nozzle and the bore flares out and i find this to improve the mids and high.....i found this to be true on the w4r,se535,um3x,e5c,e4c and others...

one of the reasons i hated the star tips so much was that the bore opening was small and it seemed to drown the mids and highs or limit their extension.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #4,196 of 4,413
I think Westone did the MMXC connector better than Shure.  Shure's memory wire was annoying and rough on the ears.  Also the connector swiveled too easy and freely.  Westone's only swivels if you manually move it which is less annoying.  Also the soft rubber sheathing that they use in place of the memory wire is to die for. You can't feel it at all.  The connection seems very tight and I expect no problems whatsoever.  I have to think Westone paid attention to all the Shure problems people had and hopefully learned and made a better product.

Moose, glad you like the UM3X.  Another way to look at it is if you listen passively and at lower volumes, W4R is probably the way to go but if you like to turn it up and rock out, get an andrenaline rush and analyze all the intricacies of the music...UM3X/Pro is the no-brainer choice.  I still say the cohesiveness, tonality and decay are equal to customs costing over $1,000.   SO spot on!   Very well engineered product.

You almost have to be careful not to hurt your ears because like Moose said there is zero distortion at deafening volumes but also zero harshness from any frequencies so it is really easy on the ears and easy to get carried away with the volume. 

Anyway, I received a reply back from Westone today and they said nothing quantifiable....and we already kind of heard this before...I told them I thought Pro30 was less closed in sounding that UM3X and if they could explain why or if I am hearing that difference accurately.  The answer.......

"While the internal components are the same, the sound routing has changed, which can affect the sound signature. With any product redesign there will be slight changes to the product. "

"Sound routing"???    Would that just mean the configuration or design of the housing itself?

Funny they seem so non-chalant about..yea, maybe it sounds different..yea...it's possible.   LOL!!!

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #4,197 of 4,413
Was the UM3X different in size than the current one? Could be the internal circuitry changing due to the size of the IEM, that is the only thing I could think of if they say sound routing as routing is a keyword in circuitry. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #4,199 of 4,413
  I think Westone did the MMXC connector better than Shure.  Shure's memory wire was annoying and rough on the ears.  Also the connector swiveled too easy and freely.  Westone's only swivels if you manually move it which is less annoying.  Also the soft rubber sheathing that they use in place of the memory wire is to die for. You can't feel it at all.  The connection seems very tight and I expect no problems whatsoever.  I have to think Westone paid attention to all the Shure problems people had and hopefully learned and made a better product.

Moose, glad you like the UM3X.  Another way to look at it is if you listen passively and at lower volumes, W4R is probably the way to go but if you like to turn it up and rock out, get an andrenaline rush and analyze all the intricacies of the music...UM3X/Pro is the no-brainer choice.  I still say the cohesiveness, tonality and decay are equal to customs costing over $1,000.   SO spot on!   Very well engineered product.

You almost have to be careful not to hurt your ears because like Moose said there is zero distortion at deafening volumes but also zero harshness from any frequencies so it is really easy on the ears and easy to get carried away with the volume. 

Anyway, I received a reply back from Westone today and they said nothing quantifiable....and we already kind of heard this before...I told them I thought Pro30 was less closed in sounding that UM3X and if they could explain why or if I am hearing that difference accurately.  The answer.......

"While the internal components are the same, the sound routing has changed, which can affect the sound signature. With any product redesign there will be slight changes to the product. "

"Sound routing"???    Would that just mean the configuration or design of the housing itself?

Funny they seem so non-chalant about..yea, maybe it sounds different..yea...it's possible.   LOL!!!

that sounds like what they are talking about

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #4,200 of 4,413

GRRRR! I have a love hate relationship with foam, however with the Monster Supertip adapters and the medium Monstertips, sound excellent. i got my tru fit kit in today, and went right back to the supertips. funny thing about the um3x with the monster tips, is it doesnt effect the mids or highs, clarity in mid range to lower midrange is great, highs are extended and sound clear. the bottom is is very nice you get great sub bass extension but also notice a nice mid bass so to me the sub bass and mid bass i perceive to be separate its not all bleeding together.

i still wanna hate the monster super tips...but they sound soo good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back