Westone UM3X Thread
May 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #91 of 4,413
Just received my UM3x from earphone solutions. They mailed it on Apr 29th and i got it 2 days. Not bad. Will post first impressions later.

May 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #92 of 4,413
Mine ended up arriving today. After some minimal time with them straight out of a nano with the supplied complys, some comments:

UM3X is NOT a "FOTM" IEM. No way!

I find them quite a bit different than W3. To me, W3 sounds “out of control” compared to UM3X. W3 sounds more “exciting” and robust whereas UM3X more laid back but much more accurate sounding. To me it’s much more pleasing to the ears but I can see where some will prefer W3.

I do NOT find the midrange (almost overly) forward like with SE530. It sounds perfectly balanced with the treble and bass. The bass is certainly less than W3 (perhaps due to no mid-bass hump) but plenty adequate. Quite similar to SE530 actually. Maybe just a pinch less. Soundstage sounds large just like W3 which I am surprised at with it being a monitor but I like it that way.

The biggest thing that is blowing me away though is the treble. It is by far the most perfect treble I have ever heard from anything I ever had on or in my ears. It is so detailed yet SO smooth! A total engineering marvel IMHO. It’s incomprehensible to me how a treble presentation can be so detailed yet the overall presentation is so buttery smooth. So natural. To me it’s the perfect sounding IEM. Can’t put my finger on a single thing I would change about it. Yet, it’s one of those IEM’s that some people may tire of over time simply because it’s not “exciting” and go search for something else…only to kick themselves for getting rid of UM3X. Not sure that makes sense to you. UM3X will especially be magic with jazz, classical, acoustic and vocals. The best comparision I could make with another IEM would be to take the SE530, make the midrange not quite as forward but still very present, give it a whopping 30% more treble detail and (this is key) do it with zero graininess or harshness that I sometimes hear with SE530. THAT is your UM3X. Think of what I am saying. Smoother sounding than SE530 but with 30% more treble detail! It’s what I was expecting and hoping for it to sound like and it does. I’ll sample some other tips later.

I fully expect people to continue to buy W3. People that want a big, brash, detailed sound. But I think more discriminating "audiophiles" (hate to use that word) will always prefer UM3X type of sound.

One last note for now. While I know the sensitivity is high, I am using about 90% volume level with unamped nano. One of the highest levels of all IEM’s I’ve had to use. For reference, with W3/SE530 I would be at about 70-75% level. I hope this review is helpful to some.

May 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #95 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great first impressions there Spyro - please try those grey silicone tips to compare with the W3.

Ditto - and ditto.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #96 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't describe the highs as 'laid back' at all. I'd describe them as definitely sparkling, detailed, never shrill or harsh and also never sibilant. Yes, the difficulty of using words to describe sound (and personal sound!) - for me, if they had just a little more, they'd be wrong sounding and fatiguing. Westone really got it right with the ES3X.

I was referring to edwood and Zanths feedback about the treble. I don't see any negatives here but was just trying to draw a comparison for the benefit of those that are seeking strong highs like the Etys, R10s and the like. It seems the ES3X UM3X have similiarities there considering the same thing was mentioned earlier in this thread about the UM3X

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwood
As for sound quality, they were a little underwhelming at first, because they have a pretty laid back presentation, but the treble is not rolled off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanth
rob, the highs are good, but they don't have a sparkle like the R10's, or Etys etc. They are not prominent at all. If you want highs in that vein, then the ES3X's are not for you. The highs are detailed and it is very very interesting how the detail is all there but it's just presented in such a non-intrusive way. Balanced is the best way I know how to state it.

May 1, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #97 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was referring to edwood and Zanths feedback about the treble. I don't see any negatives here but was just trying to draw a comparison for the benefit of those that are seeking strong highs like the Etys, R10s and the like. It seems the ES3X UM3X have similiarities there considering the same thing was mentioned earlier in this thread about the UM3X

No, I didn't take it in a negative way at all, just that 'laid back' somehow clashed with my own perception of the highs on the ES3X, which I find superb, and that's why I spoke of personal descriptions of sound. However, Zanth's comments on balance & detail are, to me, spot on. I'll say this again, though - to these ears, any more highs on the ES3X would have spoilt them. Can't comment on the Etys or R10's because I've never heard them.

May 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #98 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine ended up arriving today. After some minimal time with them straight out of a nano with the supplied complys, some comments:

I find them quite a bit different than W3. To me, W3 sounds “out of control” compared to UM3X. W3 sounds more “exciting” and robust whereas UM3X more laid back but much more accurate sounding. To me it’s much more pleasing to the ears but I can see where some will prefer W3.

I do NOT find the midrange (almost overly) forward like with SE530. It sounds perfectly balanced with the treble and bass. The bass is certainly less than W3 (perhaps due to no mid-bass hump) but plenty adequate. Quite similar to SE530 actually. Soundstage sounds large just like W3 which I am surprised at with it being a monitor but I like it that way.

The biggest thing that is blowing me away though is the treble. It is by far the most perfect treble I have ever heard from anything I ever had on or in my ears. It is so detailed yet SO smooth! A total engineering marvel IMHO. It’s incomprehensible to me how a treble presentation can be so detailed yet the overall presentation is so buttery smooth. So natural. To me it’s the perfect sounding IEM. Can’t put my finger on a single thing I would change about it. Yet, it’s one of those IEM’s that some people may tire of over time simply because it’s not “exciting” and go search for something else…only to kick themselves for getting rid of UM3X. Not sure that makes sense to you. UM3X will especially be magic with jazz, acoustic and vocals. The best comparision I could make with another IEM would be to take the SE530, make the midrange not quite as forward but still very present, give it a whopping 30% more treble detail and (this is key) do it with zero graininess or harshness I sometimes hear with SE530. THAT is your UM3X. Think of what I am saying. Smoother sounding that SE530 but with 30% more treble detail! It’s what I was expecting and hoping for it to sound like and it does. I’ll sample some other tips later.

I fully expect people to continue to buy W3. People that want a big, brash, detailed sound. But I think more discriminating "audiophiles" (hate to use that word) will always prefer UM3X type of sound.

One last note for now. While I know the sensitivity is high, I am using about 90% volume level with unamped nano. One of the highest levels of all IEM’s I’ve had to use. For reference, with W3/SE530 I would be at about 70-75% level. I hope this review is helpful to some.

a very interesting read

May 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #100 of 4,413
While I generally liked W3, from a sonic engineering standpoint, I wasn't overly impressed. Yes the bass is big and detailed but kind of overdone....and that mid bass hump. And yes, the treble is quite detailed, and not necessarily siblant, but kind of fatiguing on the ears. I just sort of accepted these things.

But UM3X?? I am definitely impressed from a sonic engineering standpoint and this is why I don't see it as a FOTM. I have not heard customs but I wish the other IEM manufacturers' good luck trying create something this magical in a universal. Westone really nailed it IMHO.

I still enjoy and have great respect for TF10Pro, W3 and SE530 but this raised the bar.

May 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #101 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really falling in love with the treble detail. It's fantastic, albeit different than the IE8's which I also liked quite a bit.

Zalithian: can you share your EQ settings on 818

Thanks
PC

May 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #102 of 4,413
Quote:

I do NOT find the midrange (almost overly) forward like with SE530. It sounds perfectly balanced with the treble and bass. The bass is certainly less than W3 (perhaps due to no mid-bass hump) but plenty adequate. Quite similar to SE530 actually. Soundstage sounds large just like W3 which I am surprised at with it being a monitor but I like it that way.

The biggest thing that is blowing me away though is the treble. It is by far the most perfect treble I have ever heard from anything I ever had on or in my ears. It is so detailed yet SO smooth! A total engineering marvel IMHO. It’s incomprehensible to me how a treble presentation can be so detailed yet the overall presentation is so buttery smooth. So natural. To me it’s the perfect sounding IEM. Can’t put my finger on a single thing I would change about it. Yet, it’s one of those IEM’s that some people may tire of over time simply because it’s not “exciting” and go search for something else…only to kick themselves for getting rid of UM3X. Not sure that makes sense to you. UM3X will especially be magic with jazz, acoustic and vocals. The best comparision I could make with another IEM would be to take the SE530, make the midrange not quite as forward but still very present, give it a whopping 30% more treble detail and (this is key) do it with zero graininess or harshness I sometimes hear with SE530. THAT is your UM3X. Think of what I am saying. Smoother sounding than SE530 but with 30% more treble detail! It’s what I was expecting and hoping for it to sound like and it does. I’ll sample some other tips later.

I have not auditioned any other IEMs except Um2 and i can say that Um3 does everything better than UM2. I really can't put my finger on it ( there are experts ion this forum who can explain that better) but overall it sounds fantastic. However if i had to pick i would say Vocals sound breathtaking. They are clear and controlled. Also i didn't use the stock comply tips for long ( they were uncomfortable in my ears) and switched to my trusted bi-flanges. These are easy to drive. I used to listen to Vol 5 with Um2s on my sony now i listen to Vol 7. So to put it in a nut shell this is a keeper and i found my holy grail
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #103 of 4,413
Quote:

Wow. I hit a 80% ceiling if necessary with partial isolating Senn PMX 80 across my 3 DAPs, and PMX 80 only for running use

Is it too early for a 3 way UM3X v W3 v IE8 comparison yet? I figure there must be one head-fier out there willing to take that bullet for the greater good
tongue_smile.gif

May 2, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #104 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zalithian: can you share your EQ settings on 818

Thanks
PC

I don't use any EQ when I'm using my UM3X's on my 818 but I primarily use my 818 with my PFE's anyway and use my D2 for my IE8's and UM3X's. The only EQ I use on my D2 is BBE on 3 unless I'm using my PFE's, in which case I also bump up Mach 3 bass.

May 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #105 of 4,413
I'm hearing some buzz about the UM3X's having a better a fit than the W3s. If this is the case, what is it that creates a better fit in the UM3X? Don't the two use the same audio tube design?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back