Westone UM3X Thread
May 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #77 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoP! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you like your IE8 better or the westone?

Definitely the um3x.

May 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #78 of 4,413
Again, it sounds like the ES3X impressions. Lush midrange, laid back highs, deep bass, etc. I'm looking forward to a direct comparison. I know there is a tendency for some to not want to feel like they over payed for an IEM with SQ that they they could have had for so much less and can't sell, so I hope they can give an objective review also.

I think I'm going to just have to sacrifice a couple of my phones and go for the UE11s.

I would imagine the W3s won't be selling much anymore. It's too bad for that long delay - they really had a short lifespan.

May 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #79 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The W3s have worked well for many owners, but in all honesty, the fit/sibilance issue has been a major downside. I can't use any tips but the tri-flanges without getting a very lousy treble/sibilance issue. Very frustrating situation for W3 owners who need to sell their W3 to pay for the UM3X.

But sounds like UM3X buyers are finally getting a phone that is living up to the W3 hype, without the fit/sibilance hassles, which really is the main drawback to the W3s. Otherwise, I really do love their sound (figuring my EQing is what they are supposed to sound like).

Right on the mark tstarn, i too loved the w3's but had alot of issues with getting the correct fit and seal..it was solved but the mid bass hump got to me and i sold them. The um3x are like an improved version minus slightly lesser extended highs but with much better fit, seal and overall cleaner and clearer across the whole spectrum.

May 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #80 of 4,413
Westone blew this one with the delay on the release, as the W3s are, as Rob says, dead in the water at this point (at least based on these early impressions). I may even try to talk to them about a trade-in situation, and I would even be willing to come up with a little scratch if they are willing to do a swap of some sort. Not likely, but in my view, this situation really reeks. I just wanted a pair of universals that had none of the fit issues the W3 presented, and found a solution, sort of. But the UM3X would have a whole lot easier, it's clear.

May 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #81 of 4,413
Trade-in possibilities? I dont think so.... If it's possible, many will do that. p0wderh0und, can i trade in my CK100? LOL

Seem like much praised W3 losing it's edge. Best example of HOTM.

May 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #82 of 4,413
Of course, I meant the W3s. Why would you mention the CK100? And I did say it's not likely. Odds are, the CK100s will maintain their value for resale, whereas the W3s definitely will not if these comparison reviews (from smart users on HF) continue to praise the UM3X over the W3. Again, I still do like the W3 sound with the right listening situation (tips, DAP), but would rather not hassle with the EQ situation, etc.

May 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #83 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trade-in possibilities? I dont think so.... If it's possible, many will do that. p0wderh0und, can i trade in my CK100? LOL

Seem like much praised W3 losing it's edge. Best example of HOTM.

Also, if that's the case, with people reporting they favor the UM3X over the IE8 (assuming it continues), will that relegate the IE8s to the FOTM category as well? No. So this doesn't mean W3 is a FOTM, but it does mean Westone got it somewhat right with the W3 and completely right with the UM3X.

May 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #84 of 4,413
eh, after trying the mod by passionamy, i find the shure olives having better highs thanthe modded biflanges... maybe i should have try them without modding them first... dang. need to get more.

May 1, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #85 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 questions:

1- Is the cable exactly the same on the UM3X as on the W3? When the W3 came out some people first said cable was the same as UM2 when in fact it wasn't - similar yes, but not (exactly) the same.

2- Is it anywhere (IEM/box/manual/warranty) stated that the UM3X are made in the USA? Also, some people stated at first the W3's were made in the US when they came out, when in fact they weren't, whereas the UM2 is/was.

1) Cable is the same and was the same. The only difference was the wrap on the plastic was changed by the manufacturer. (debate closed)

2) The UM3X is made here in Colorado Springs, CO.

May 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #86 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, it sounds like the ES3X impressions. Lush midrange, laid back highs, deep bass, etc. I'm looking forward to a direct comparison. I know there is a tendency for some to not want to feel like they over payed for an IEM with SQ that they they could have had for so much less and can't sell, so I hope they can give an objective review also.

I think I'm going to just have to sacrifice a couple of my phones and go for the UE11s.

I wouldn't describe the highs as 'laid back' at all. I'd describe them as definitely sparkling, detailed, never shrill or harsh and also never sibilant. Yes, the difficulty of using words to describe sound (and personal sound!) - for me, if they had just a little more, they'd be wrong sounding and fatiguing. Westone really got it right with the ES3X.

Anyway, back to the UM3X...

May 1, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #87 of 4,413
Ok, so I'm going through the posts and I'll make this clear again.

The Westone3 was the first step into the true personal listening market. It's designed more for recorded music. It comes with the tips the personal listening market talked about.

The UM3X was designed from the ground up to be used on stage for musicians. It's minimalistic in accessories like the UM1 and UM2. It was never going to be marketed in the personal listening realm, still is not going to be.

Yes, there are differences in sound. Some will take the UM3X over the W3, some will not. The most important thing to do is let YOUR ears decide, not someone online. We knew the UM3X would garner attention in this community as everyone here is in search of the euphoria that a perfect match in source->cable->amp can provide.

Please rest assured, this was not some "Microsoft Windows Vista" approach to get everyone to upgrade 6 months later, they are different markets.

May 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #88 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh, after trying the mod by passionamy, i find the shure olives having better highs thanthe modded biflanges... maybe i should have try them without modding them first... dang. need to get more.

The olives having better highs over flanges? hmmmm.

May 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #89 of 4,413
Understand completely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I'm going through the posts and I'll make this clear again.

The Westone3 was the first step into the true personal listening market. It's designed more for recorded music. It comes with the tips the personal listening market talked about.

The UM3X was designed from the ground up to be used on stage for musicians. It's minimalistic in accessories like the UM1 and UM2. It was never going to be marketed in the personal listening realm, still is not going to be.

Yes, there are differences in sound. Some will take the UM3X over the W3, some will not. The most important thing to do is let YOUR ears decide, not someone online. We knew the UM3X would garner attention in this community as everyone here is in search of the euphoria that a perfect match in source->cable->amp can provide.

Please rest assured, this was not some "Microsoft Windows Vista" approach to get everyone to upgrade 6 months later, they are different markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back