Westone UM3X Thread
May 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #3,076 of 4,413
Hey guys,

I have some question about my um3x. I usually use them in very very low volume(i think) on my computer(i.e. 10 on zune software and 4-7 on computer volume control.)

I found that bass seriously lacking at low volume, but the bass comes back to life more than 7 (of computer volume control).

I am wondering if that is a matter of not enough power sent to the phones. How can I avoid this problem? I don't want to play it more loudly because I fear the damage to my ears if I use IEM at higher volume.

May 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #3,077 of 4,413

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have some question about my um3x. I usually use them in very very low volume(i think) on my computer(i.e. 10 on zune software and 4-7 on computer volume control.)

I found that bass seriously lacking at low volume, but the bass comes back to life more than 7 (of computer volume control).

I am wondering if that is a matter of not enough power sent to the phones. How can I avoid this problem? I don't want to play it more loudly because I fear the damage to my ears if I use IEM at higher volume.

Get a portable amp, crank the volume up on the computer and adjust the volume on the amp. 

May 12, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #3,078 of 4,413
I was thinking that too. But I want to find a pair of good full-sized can + great IEM before I settle down on an amp.

I had the bass boost v2.02 cMoy for a while and it worked really well with UM3x but it didn't work with my ad900.

I know I am going to get gamma 2 as source and trying to find something better and more detailed than ad900(probably dt880). Then I will find an amp.

Just want to know the problem with um3x is normal for under-powering a pair of IEM? But I usually see that IEM is easy to drive so I don't know why I am having this problem.

May 12, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #3,079 of 4,413
^^are you sure that the fit is right?what tips are you using?um3x is pretty bass heavy IMHO and not far away from something like the ie8 although ie8 bass is enormous.I misty listen at very low volumes(read 1 notch only on iPod touch)and the bass is still strong and hits hard.I am using shire olive tips.I am sure the problem is the fit,I am not really sure why I would need an amp to make the um3x bass more in quantity,it has plenty and I am coming from very bassy iems.

May 12, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #3,080 of 4,413

Quote:
Hey guys,

You might be losing bass between the eartips and your ear canal walls.

Before spending money on an amp you could try the Shure PA910-Large Olive eartips. They are not longer but wider and since they are made of foam material you could still give them a good squeeze before inserting them (if needed).

Most lack of bass can be fixed with a different eartip which will increase isolation and therefore enhance the bass, which is the frequency range that "leaks" when you don't have a perfect seal.

May 12, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #3,081 of 4,413

Quote:
I was thinking that too. But I want to find a pair of good full-sized can + great IEM before I settle down on an amp.

I had the bass boost v2.02 cMoy for a while and it worked really well with UM3x but it didn't work with my ad900.

I know I am going to get gamma 2 as source and trying to find something better and more detailed than ad900(probably dt880). Then I will find an amp.

Just want to know the problem with um3x is normal for under-powering a pair of IEM? But I usually see that IEM is easy to drive so I don't know why I am having this problem.

IMO amping the UM3Xs yields a world of difference even though they aren't hard to drive. T51 HO to LO and ALO Rx is a day and night difference. 

May 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #3,084 of 4,413
^I think they kind of imply what the maker of the phone was intending for the phones to sound like.

They kind of mean the same general thing, but I take it that stage monitor and studio monitor go off in a lightly different direction. I would think a stage monitor would have a greater emphasis on instrument separation and replication of sound stage. Being used by someone on stage it would be really helpful to hear everything that's going on around you and whatnot. 

Studio monitor would have less of an emphasis on soundstage and more on having a flatter, more neutral sound signature with a focus on precision and accurate reproduction of the music. That's not saying that either is better than the other in either category, just something that the maker had an interest in.

To throw out an example first hand, I have both the UM3X and the K702. The former being "stage monitors" and the latter being "reference phones" aka studio monitors.
They are both very revealing, detailed headphones. The 702s aren't fully burnt in yet but from hearing both right next to each other, the 3Xs have a more diverse soundstage; giving instruments their own place in the air and very accurately replicating each sound down to the finest detail.
The 702s are very detailed themselves and I pick up the same sounds using these but the overall sound signature is a little flatter than the UM3Xs. Less bass and a cleaner treble even things out over the UM3Xs (silicon tips). 

I'm not really going by anything here, just some insight and personal opinions. If anyone knows anything, feel free to correct me or add anything to it; I hope I helped :)

May 19, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #3,086 of 4,413
I was a bit lazy and didn't want to find the original post but here's the quote

Quote:
It's a stage monitor so it just best replicates the original recording (referring to the stage) without adding or subtracting like other phones do.

I quite disagree that phones that are built for stage use best replicate the original recording. It does depend on the instrument as well as the individual that is on the stage. Phones that are used for stage use are usually tweaked in some way. What I mean by that is that those on stage need to hear some things louder than they actually are. It varies but that could mean that certain instruments or vocals are turned up while others are turned down so they know what the other people are doing while having the benefit of isolation of the iem.

May 20, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #3,088 of 4,413
I sold my um3x 3 days ago.couldn't live with their very warm tone and dead presentation.And by the way they are not ruler flat. Everything is pushed forward,soundstage is smaller than that of ibuds,cymbals are left alone in the dark with no crashing or sparkle,mids are definetly warm and not neutral. Overall,I didn't like them enough to justify their price or to call them top universal iems.for me they didn't excel at any area,even instrument seperation that everyone is talking about,ie8 and ck10 instrument seperation is better. And they are definetly not detailed as k701 when amped well(actually there is no comparison). I found that no universal iem is without it's faults,so I sold them to purchase jh13.

May 20, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #3,089 of 4,413

Quote:
I sold my um3x 3 days ago.couldn't live with their very warm tone and dead presentation.And by the way they are not ruler flat. Everything is pushed forward,soundstage is smaller than that of ibuds,cymbals are left alone in the dark with no crashing or sparkle,mids are definetly warm and not neutral. Overall,I didn't like them enough to justify their price or to call them top universal iems.for me they didn't excel at any area,even instrument seperation that everyone is talking about,ie8 and ck10 instrument seperation is better. And they are definetly not detailed as k701 when amped well(actually there is no comparison). I found that no universal iem is without it's faults,so I sold them to purchase jh13.

Sorry you didn't like them. Hopefully someone else will appreciate them.

I personally wouldn't call them warm (at least no way near as warm as the IE8s) or say that they have "dead presentation". I personally think they have more energy and "life" than the laid back IE8s. I'll admit that they don't have the IE8s soundstage, though for me it's not a problem as I don't mind their intimate presentation, and for me the UM3x has a lot more clarity and instrument seperation.

I didn't used to be a fan of the IE8s but they've slowly grown on me over time and I use them fairly reguarly for more laid back listening. I still prefer the UM3x overall though, and if the IE8 is considered a top universal the UM3x definitely has to be considered up their with the best as well.

May 20, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #3,090 of 4,413
I think more than ever that  no Iem is perfect for every type of music. I stated a few pages back that I was missing the wow factor with Um3x compared to um3x or ie8, But the more I use the Um3x the more I love them. To second something from young Spade.." I don't want to take these out of my ears." Right now I feel just in love with the intimate details and great mids of the Um3x ( yes for me they are great mids..se530..tooooo much). Whenever I would go back to the w3, I would desire the Um3x back within minutes. I have changed in my tastes for music a lot in the past few years too, and the bass heavy music I desire less and less. I think the Um3x sounds great with just about any genre, and for those rare times that I want pounding bass, I think the Hippo vb I just got will do fine. I can't  justify two top cost Iem for myself, so with the Hippo..I can get what I need with reasonable cost and comfort. I do think the bass on the Um3x is worlds better than I expected and more than adequate for just about anything...just a few things I want huge bass with. The comfort and fit of the Um3x/w3 for me is unbeatable though..wish all Iem's had the option of this cable and flush fit. I still alternate between the Shure silicone and olives as far as tips go. Both are pretty much the same sound for me..just like the quick fit of the silicone sometimes. One more thing... a few pages back someone was mentioning Dave Matthews live and something else sound amazing with these and I am sure they do...I also have been listening constantly to Carole King & James Taylor live at the the Troubadour, If you are 35+..you will love it...if you are younger...keep and open mind and try it..lol Just amazing with James' guitar and vocals..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back