Westone UM3X Thread
May 9, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #3,061 of 4,413

Quote:
This's my first day listening with um3x and these are my first impressions:

However um3x, have something that in no way I found in etymotic, and that's a visceral feeling that makes everything so real. Probably this realism exist because the great instrument separation, or maybe the reason is the way um3x texturize the sound. I don't know. The point is that I hear a visceral realism with these, and that's definitely a big improvement for me.

I felt the same way coming form the Triples to the UM3Xs. To be frank, the IEM has some weight to it. It has power, speed, accuracy, and precision that makes it amazing for the Acoustic and Classical genres, both of which I only listen to on the UM3Xs. It has the speed to accurately reproduce Sarah Chang's solo violin pieces while holding the power to lay down clean, tight bass and strong powerful mids of some of Hans Zimmer's best works. 

Quote:
One more thing. Classical music sounds much better than electronica. That's frustrating since I listen 90% electronica and 10% classical.

That's how I felt when I got them. I started listening less and less to rock/hip hop/rap/electronic etc. and more to Classical and Acoustic once I got the phones. 

May 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #3,063 of 4,413
I recently exchanged my UM3X for a Westone 3 due to some cable problems.

IMO, the W3 is more laid back and has a wider soundstage.
However, the UM3X's instrumental seperation is still better.
The W3's excel in the lows and highs due to their V shaped EQ.
I still have to agree that there will be some hiss if the seal is not good.
The W3s are more colourful than the UM3X's netrual presentation.

May 9, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #3,064 of 4,413

Quote:
I recently exchanged my UM3X for a Westone 3 due to some cable problems.

IMO, the W3 is more laid back and has a wider soundstage.
However, the UM3X's instrumental seperation is still better.
The W3's excel in the lows and highs due to their V shaped EQ.
I still have to agree that there will be some hiss if the seal is not good.
The W3s are more colourful than the UM3X's netrual presentation.

No problem in that, both IEMs are great but IMO are made for a different crowd. There are times when I wished I had a W3 so I could bump my head to some rap/hip hop or headbang to some hardcore. Although 90 percent of the time I'm appreciative of the laid back, very detail oriented sound the 3Xs give me; hence the reason I bought then. 

May 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #3,065 of 4,413
I am mostly posting cuz I wanted to subscribe to this thread and it's not happening for some reason.
So anyway..I had the um3x when they first came out, but sold them and got ie8. The progression has led me to the current W3..which I pretty much love. But my tastes have changed a lot the past years so I got the um3x again wanting more details maybe. I love the more up front vocals and when using the bass boost on my xm4 amp, the bass is quite good. Just missing that little bit of WOW I guess. I am going to keep listening to both for a bit, before deciding. I hate comply tips for anything so I am using the silicon from my w3 and some shure olives..the olives being the best for me. I get the same level of clarity with both..just better fit with olives. I am loving these for a lot of artists..Counting crows "August and everything after" album sounds like I am in the studio with them. Elton John also sounds amazing...all due to the better vocal on the um3x I am sure. I even think rock/newer rock such as Firefly, Switchfoot and Relient k sound great with these. Maybe I will keep both and sell my car. ha.. Anyway..looking forward to reading more thoughts on them from you guys..
Also the hype on the hippo vb and it's great price got me to purchase them..they are on the way. So maybe they can become my wow IEMS's for the heavy bass type of music I listen to.. Tobymac..Newsboys etc. and the um3x for everything else... time will tell.

May 10, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #3,066 of 4,413
Just ordered my UM3X's after quite a bit of deliberation on it. My last pair of IEMs were Shure E4Cs, which sound great but even after cleaning, the bass is virtually gone. Lots of noise travels up the cord too- hoping the cords on these is improved.

May 10, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #3,068 of 4,413

Quote:
With Westone...you will not have any cord noise to speak of. AKA.. microphonics. The westone cords are free of any microphoics imo. I think you will see a big improvement..bass and all around with the um3x from e4c. Good luck...

The cables are 3 different cables woven together. This increases strength and reduces stress on the cables while keeping it soft (the cable literally holds no form nor resistance. Very soft.

May 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #3,069 of 4,413
The cable on the Westone earphones are surprisingly good. When looking at them they look thin, fragile and easily broken but that really isn't the case. They are in my top 3 earphone cables in terms of quality and function with CK100 and CK10 at 1 and 2 respectively.

May 10, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #3,070 of 4,413
I spent the day today, listening several albums (classical and electronica). As I said before, classical sounds better than electronica, I think that's because classical music is built in a physical space, where instruments are in a specific place. While hearing through the um3x, it's possible to recreate that physical space in a way that makes sense. On the other hand, electronica music never had a physical space, and so the process of recreating a space in our minds becomes strange.
However, i found classical music that sounds awful, and electronica that sounds amazingly realistic. Basically, i just want to confirm, that um3x are incredibly sensitive to the source, and by source I mean the producing or recording (or else) process. That's good and eventually not so good.

May 10, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #3,071 of 4,413
I spent the day today, listening several albums (classical and electronica). As I said before, classical sounds better than electronica, I think that's because classical music is built in a physical space, where instruments are in a specific place. While hearing through the um3x, it's possible to recreate that physical space in a way that makes sense. On the other hand, electronica music never had a physical space, and so the process of recreating a space in our minds becomes strange.
However, i found classical music that sounds awful, and electronica that sounds amazingly realistic. Basically, i just want to confirm, that um3x are incredibly sensitive to the source, and by source I mean the producing or recording (or else) process. That's good and eventually not so good.

May 10, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #3,073 of 4,413

Quote:

"Classical is build in a physical space, where instruments are in a specific place." That's what I think as well. I always thought that with lower leveled mastered tracks (mixtapes and rock/alternative groups that aren't big yet) don't sound that great and I can't listen to them with my UM3Xs. There are great mastered tracks in the Electronic/Pop genre like Taio Cruz, Lady Gaga, and just plain old techno, however it's all.... already there and it's easier to grab all of those "definite" sounds with less detailed but more exciting phones. I'd rather pick the Triples for those genres not because they are more detailed (because they're not, the UM3Xs are far more detailed), but because they make those genres more exciting.
Some genres just deserve more revealing equipment than others; just my opinion. (Not saying anything bad about any genres, just my opinions on genres and their respective need for detail/microdetail/soundstage/instrument separation). 

Oh and about that source and the UM3Xs scaling with it? Absolutely. I thought the UM3Xs were AMAZING when using them out of the HO of the T51 and had no gripes. I loved them. Plugging them into an ALO Rx (burned in)? A whole new world. It was like being slapped in the face with TRUE, read: True music. Classical and Acoustic music just sounds phonomenal. 

May 11, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #3,074 of 4,413
Today I made a mistake. I plugged my Um3x in my nad 515 cd player + nad 315 amplifier.
It's obvious that they're not very suitable for a iem. And for sure, the um3x sounds better with the alo rx, than with my nad system.
Yet, I understood what YoungSpade mean saying that:

"It was like being slapped in the face with TRUE, read: True music."

Yes. It's a big slap! Almost as powerful as being slap by a woman.

It's frustrating, but for now, i can't afford the alo rx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back