Westone UM3X Thread
May 7, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #3,046 of 4,413

Quote:
@rawrster:they are warm,completly opposite to the ck10...completly.if you want a different sound signature than ck10 then um3x or ie8 is your ticket. @young spade:they are not very detailed not as detailed as fx500 or the insanely detailed ck10,they are more like the ie8 in terms of details.I also can't get the comment of you saying that they are laid back?they are very forward,I can't believe anyone can put laid back in the same sentence as um3x. Overall,although I like the intimate sound of the um3x,I may trade it with ck100 because I can't get over the warm tone and how much they are similar to the ie8 in that regret,although ie8 is sharper and brighter in comparison.

1) What are you referring to that's not as detailed as the Fx500/CK10s?
2) When I say laid back I refer to the sound signature, not the overall sound stage. The sound stage varies with the recording (moderate to close with acoustic, nice and far with Classical). 

It's a stage monitor so it just best replicates the original recording (referring to the stage) without adding or subtracting like other phones do.

May 8, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #3,047 of 4,413
Sorry I wasn't clear,I was refering to the um3x as not as detailed as the others And about classical,I think if you listen to grado with classical music they will sound laidback,that's how this genres is recorded. And no,I don't think they reproduce the music as it is,highs are definetly not neutral and they sound muted or someone cut pushed the highs button all the way to the middle.cymbals also don't sound right because of the warm tone and as I said they are the only insteumet that are pushed back the stage alone,you feel that they are irrelevant to the song. I enjoy them immensly but I may trade for a westone3 or something similar because of only the warm tone and rolled highs.

May 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #3,048 of 4,413

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear,I was refering to the um3x as not as detailed as the others And about classical,I think if you listen to grado with classical music they will sound laidback,that's how this genres is recorded. And no,I don't think they reproduce the music as it is,highs are definetly not neutral and they sound muted or someone cut pushed the highs button all the way to the middle.cymbals also don't sound right because of the warm tone and as I said they are the only insteumet that are pushed back the stage alone,you feel that they are irrelevant to the song. I enjoy them immensly but I may trade for a westone3 or something similar because of only the warm tone and rolled highs.

Ah, well that's good to hear about them being more detailed. However, what tips are you using with the UM3Xs?

May 8, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #3,049 of 4,413
I can't listem to classical music with UM3X and Comply Foams, highs are rolled off and the instruments sounds crowded.
It definitely improves with other tips

May 8, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #3,050 of 4,413
I am using the shure olive tips,the small one I think.I use the large comply tips when I am out of home because they give maximum isolation and make the sound more intimate which I like. One thing to note is that I never Cranck the volume of my iPod touch more than 2-3 notches(that's maybe 20%).sometimes one notch is too much because the um3x is very sensitive.

May 8, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #3,051 of 4,413

Quote:
I am using the shure olive tips,the small one I think.I use the large comply tips when I am out of home because they give maximum isolation and make the sound more intimate which I like. One thing to note is that I never Cranck the volume of my iPod touch more than 2-3 notches(that's maybe 20%).sometimes one notch is too much because the um3x is very sensitive.

Yea you definitely need to try some silicon tips. I noticed that the 3Xs had almost no detail whatsoever compared to the recabled Triples (and i'm not talking about prominence either, I just couldn't hear the details). I thought about selling them until took the cores off of the complys and put some old UE silicons on top of them.

The result? Amazing detail and clarity. Puts the Triple.Fi 10s to shame. 

May 9, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #3,052 of 4,413
I received my Um3x yesterday. I just want to share, that is a huge mistake that westone didn't care about the um3x tips. I've try the comply, the shure olives and the triflange, and the sound is incredible different. I didn't like the comply, and they're out of my experience. In my old etymotic hf5, I liked the triflange, but in um3x they're strange. Triflange gives an excellent isolation, but with them I feel that I'm too close of the instruments. Comparing with shure olive, the isolation is not so good, however the sound is much better, the bass goes deeper, and have a more extended high end. About the um3x sound, i think that's too early for comments.

May 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #3,053 of 4,413
I agree with you 100% on tips. BTW, one thing to try is washing your olives in warm water, and leaving them to thoroughly dry. They will expand to be slightly bigger and softer than stock. 

May 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #3,054 of 4,413

Quote:
I received my Um3x yesterday. I just want to share, that is a huge mistake that westone didn't care about the um3x tips. I've try the comply, the shure olives and the triflange, and the sound is incredible different. I didn't like the comply, and they're out of my experience. In my old etymotic hf5, I liked the triflange, but in um3x they're strange. Triflange gives an excellent isolation, but with them I feel that I'm too close of the instruments. Comparing with shure olive, the isolation is not so good, however the sound is much better, the bass goes deeper, and have a more extended high end. About the um3x sound, i think that's too early for comments.

Yea the sound is highly dependent on the tips on these phones. Coming from the Triples I thought they were horrible with the Comply tips. It wasn't until 3 weeks later I thought of using silicons and was blown away by the difference. The detail was there, bass, and mids were clearer than ever.

Now if I use comply's I put them in backwards and EQ the treble up a bit and I get near the same sound as I do with silicons. 

May 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #3,056 of 4,413
I agree with all that say the complys suck with UM3X. It is a shame that the only tips that come with UM3X is the complys. I mean, how many people may dislike the product and return it because of the complys?

When i tested the UM3X right out of the box, i was disappointed. But i had triple flanges. I was skeptical about tips, because they had no real difference with my im716. But now... what a difference! I received the shure olives, and the treble improves compared with the tri-flanges. I haven't perceived any bass impact difference, i like it with both olives and tri-flanges. But the shame about olives is the poor isolation compared with tri-flanges, and i NEED isolation, BADLY. The train i take everyday makes too much noise. So with olives i need to crank up the volume and listen to "crowded" music.

Someone here can answer this to me: there is big isolation improvement from the medium to large olives? I see they are the same height, but the large one are more "fat". It seems to me that isolation may improve, but not much (they don't goo deeper in the ear canal like tri-flanges). Don't know if i spend another $20 on these.

May 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #3,058 of 4,413

Quote:
I agree with all that say the complys suck with UM3X. It is a shame that the only tips that come with UM3X is the complys. I mean, how many people may dislike the product and return it because of the complys?

When i tested the UM3X right out of the box, i was disappointed. But i had triple flanges. I was skeptical about tips, because they had no real difference with my im716. But now... what a difference! I received the shure olives, and the treble improves compared with the tri-flanges. I haven't perceived any bass impact difference, i like it with both olives and tri-flanges. But the shame about olives is the poor isolation compared with tri-flanges, and i NEED isolation, BADLY. The train i take everyday makes too much noise. So with olives i need to crank up the volume and listen to "crowded" music.

Someone here can answer this to me: there is big isolation improvement from the medium to large olives? I see they are the same height, but the large one are more "fat". It seems to me that isolation may improve, but not much (they don't goo deeper in the ear canal like tri-flanges). Don't know if i spend another $20 on these.

Try using Comply tips and cutting the tip off of them right at the end of the inner stem. Once you do that, put the Comply on the UM3X backwards so you have the back part entering your ear first. 

This reduces the treble dampening and still retains great isolation. I do this from now on when silicon tips don't give me enough noise reduction. 

May 9, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #3,059 of 4,413
This's my first day listening with um3x and these are my first impressions:

The built quality looks bad, but I believe it's good. The cable looks great, and I believe in what i see. It's smaller than I thought, even after reading others um3x owners saying the same thing. Very confortable, although I don't like the cable behind the ear.
In terms of sound quality, comparing them with etymotic hf5, they obvious are in another level. But I dare to say, that every upgrade is just a little step up. The sound is a little better, the soundstage is a little better, the definition is a little better, and so on. However um3x, have something that in no way I found in etymotic, and that's a visceral feeling that makes everything so real. Probably this realism exist because the great instrument separation, or maybe the reason is the way um3x texturize the sound. I don't know. The point is that I hear a visceral realism with these, and that's definitely a big improvement for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back