Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Nov 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #1,621 of 3,037
  Which 1964ears IEM?

There is a lot of fanfare around the Pro50 and rightfully so, however, if you are looking for a different sound signature, try 1964Ears.  I prefer the Pro30 over the 50s.  Most likely due to the thicker/darker sound sig of the 50.  I listen to both IEMs off and on - I usually listen to the 50s at work so I may not be getting the full effect but the difference isn't all that dramatic to my old ears.  Again my opinion and preference.  I absolutely love my 1964 V8s.  Yes, more than the Pro30 and 1964 U12.  

Good luck.      

Most likely, the 1964 U3. I think your post turned me away from the Pro 50s. I really think what I'm looking for is a different sound signature(certainly not darker than the Pro 30s). That said the U3 is a hell of a lot different than the V8s you mentioned (price too). I've read great things about the V3 but I can't wait that long, using the earbuds that came with my phone is so depressing. Hoping the U3 is good but it's scary as there's hardly any reviews out there for the U line, even the custom As haven't been reviewed much.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,622 of 3,037

Most likely, the 1964 U3. I think your post turned me away from the Pro 50s. I really think what I'm looking for is a different sound signature(certainly not darker than the Pro 30s). That said the U3 is a hell of a lot different than the V8s you mentioned (price too). I've read great things about the V3 but I can't wait that long, using the earbuds that came with my phone is so depressing. Hoping the U3 is good but it's scary as there's hardly any reviews out there for the U line, even the custom As haven't been reviewed much.

I am not sure what 1964Ears is doing with the V series now that they are offering the U.  But you may want to see if they can do universal V3s for you.  I prefer the look and feel of the V series over the U.  You might even be able to add custom art on the V.  See if you can check out (touch/feel) both series to see what you prefer.  The nozzle will be different in both (V & U). 

I am sure the U3/V3 are great.  

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,623 of 3,037
I love my pro50s. However, due to price and build quality in would not buy westone again. I strongly recommend you check out Asian iems that are coming out. For a fraction of the cost of a pro50 you could get an outstanding iem. Post what you are looking for here and these guys will give suggestion:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/19485#post_12048556

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #1,624 of 3,037
I've experienced now several times getting stuck with my cable behind door handles at home which ripped out my UM-Pro 50s out of my ears. Painful experience but so far didn't cause any damage to the dreaded female mmcx connectors, my iPhone did drop on the floor everytime but with its case and glass screen protector also sustained no damage or broken screens thankfully.

That being said, if I ever have a damaged or loose female mmxc connector I will opt to have them re-shelled. I read some posts earlier of someone done just that... any feedback from anyone having re-shelled UM-Pro IEMs? Being different shells and different acoustics inners apart from the existing drivers I keep wondering how it would affect the sound, as drivers and shells surely must work in synergy... ?

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,626 of 3,037
I love my pro50s. However, due to price and build quality in would not buy westone again. I strongly recommend you check out Asian iems that are coming out. For a fraction of the cost of a pro50 you could get an outstanding iem. Post what you are looking for here and these guys will give suggestion:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/19485#post_12048556

What's wrong with the built quality of your um50pro? 

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #1,628 of 3,037
While I have heard that that reshelling universals to customs may have some effect on sound for obvious reasons, I've yet it hear anybody mention reshelling somebody elses customs will have any effect for better or worse.   

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #1,629 of 3,037
I have owned both(UM3Xrc and Pro 30), though not at the same time. It's been a while but I recall thinking the Pro 30 looked a lot cheaper in terms of the plastic. Of course looks and actual quality don't always correspond, and the cheap feeling material probably contributes to how incredibly comfortable they are. You can clearly see it's glued together though with the Pro 30s, which didn't bother me but might be disconcerting to some.

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #1,630 of 3,037
  I have owned both(UM3Xrc and Pro 30), though not at the same time. It's been a while but I recall thinking the Pro 30 looked a lot cheaper in terms of the plastic. Of course looks and actual quality don't always correspond, and the cheap feeling material probably contributes to how incredibly comfortable they are. You can clearly see it's glued together though with the Pro 30s, which didn't bother me but might be disconcerting to some.

I've owned a pair of um3x for over 2 years and only resently did I sell them off. No only were they incredibly small and confortable but the built quality was outstanding, had this dense and substantial feel about them. The two pieces of plastic where glued together so seamlessly, made it look like it were one single piece. I also loved the rough texture diy look to it, made it scratch resistant. So it's settled, I going to repurchase the um3x! 

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #1,631 of 3,037
Been a lurker on this thread for a while before signing up!  Had a pair of UM Pro 10s for about a year before my SO bought me the UM Pro 30 as a early birthday present! I have now had it for 7 months or so and I feel that it lacks a bit on the top end.  I was wondering would a cable change help improve this and any recommendations?

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,632 of 3,037
  Been a lurker on this thread for a while before signing up!  Had a pair of UM Pro 10s for about a year before my SO bought me the UM Pro 30 as a early birthday present! I have now had it for 7 months or so and I feel that it lacks a bit on the top end.  I was wondering would a cable change help improve this and any recommendations?

Are you using the stock Westone cable? If so, upgrading to a high gauge cable will definitely improve the sound. However, the overall sound signature of the Pro 30 is considered dark. Its not going to have the bite in the highs that some of the "brighter" IEMs have.
Either copper or silver at about 24AWG will be definitely improve the IEM for better. Just don't go with SPC. Spend the money on Litz versions of the cable. 

When I did have my UM Pro 50s, I used a Silver Litz 24AWG cable and it improved the overall sound.

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,633 of 3,037

Any suggestions for what cables?  I have been looking at the cables at Toxic Cables (but any other suggestions would be great) but they don't seem to have one with connectors for the UM Pro do they?  Or do I have to email Frank and ask if he could do a custom order?

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,635 of 3,037
Any suggestions for what cables?  I have been looking at the cables at Toxic Cables (but any other suggestions would be great) but they don't seem to have one with connectors for the UM Pro do they?  Or do I have to email Frank and ask if he could do a custom order?

I personally nominate Ted Allen (Headphone Lounge) cables. He hand builds those things and he makes some of the nicest braids I have seen. He makes some fantastic cables for a great price.
Linum BaX cables are fantastic too. If true portability is what you are trying to get, these are #1. Twister6 has written them as good cables.
Whichever one you go with, make sure you get the one with MMCX connectors. If you go custom, make sure specify that you need a universal MMCX or Westone compatible variant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back